Packing liquor in luggage

califmamabear

I have read the policies about bringing liquor on board but just wondering if anyone has been successful. I am aware we are allowed 2 bottles of wine per person but we would also like to bring something else. I have heard it is safer to pack the bottles in luggage and not carry on bags. Anyone have personal experinece with this? Hope Princess isnt reading this!!

I have taken several bottles of wine. Princess may say at one point that one bottle per person but the actual contract does not give a limiit. Many people have put liquor in their luggage but dont put it in your carry on.

I have packed my wine in my checked luggage numerous time and never had a problem. You do want to pack it well to prevent breakage. Since our luggage goes on an airplane first I have taken to sealing the bottle up in a food saver bag, vacuum sealed it and wrapped it in cloths. Airlines have not broken a bottle yet....

I've always taken at least one bottle of "adult beverage":) with me. I wrap the bottle(s) up in a pair of jeans and put the package in the middle of my luggage with additional clothes all around it. Never had a problem with airports or cruises, or breakage.

Yes, hard liquor is banned (as per the contract), but Princess seems to not enforce it as much as most other cruise lines do. They seem to prefer to treat their customers as grown adults who respect the privilege, and not abuse it. If you try to take a case of Jack Daniels on-board they might have something to say about it, but that bottle in your checked baggage has, in the past, been fine, (and yes, they know we do it).

Being treated in this manner by Princess is one of the primary reasons I choose them time and time again for my holiday experience. And I know that we all will do our best to encourage Princess to continue this “looking the other way” by showing them we will not abuse it.

I recently booked directly with Princess. I was told that it was not, per se, against the rules. It was thier "recommendation" to only bring a bottle or two of wine. She told me that as long as I don't make a big deal about it, there would be no issue bringing the hard stuff.

I also appreciate that Princess treats its passengers with respect and dignity --- there is no "naughty room" like you find on NCL where passengers are dragged in to open their bags in front of staff and have any liquor confiscated! We also do not abuse the privilege but usually pack 1 bottle in our checked luggage. There is a product called WineSkins which we use --- it's waterproof wrapping made for wine but will also protect a fifth of hard liquor, so we don't have to worry about our clothes getting soaked with Scotch! They are supposedly one use only, but can easily be resealed with strong tape for 2 or 3 more uses. Google should easily find you some if you are interested.

As I stated above, you can bring as much wine as you want. If drunk in the dining room, you will be charged a $15 per bottle corkage fee. Just brought a case on in December for a five-nighter on the Crown.

I'd be drunk in the dining room too if I drank a case of wine.....good thing they would only charge me $15 for public enebreation!! Ha,Ha......just some harmless kidding! Tee Hee ;):D

Kindest regards,

Connie

I'd be drunk in the dining room too if I drank a case of wine.....good thing they would only charge me $15 for public enebreation!! Ha,Ha......just some harmless kidding! Tee Hee ;):D

Kindest regards,

Connie

Bad sentence structure! My apologies.

Bad sentence structure! My apologies.

No need to apologize!! I am just in an impish mood and it struck me as funny. Hope no feelings were hurt!

Thanks for the info though! I was wondering if my DH and I could bring a case of wine onto the Coral for our 2 week cruise? We did bring a case before onto a Carnival ship for a 1 week cruise and there were no questions asked. We were even lucky enough to not get charged any corkage fees! They charge $10 corkage. I don't begrudge it though because they go to the trouble of opening, serving, storage of the left over wine ( like that ever happens!! Tee Hee ) .....so it is a win win senario. We get the exact kind of wine we want and they still get to make a little money on our alcohol consumption. ;)

Smiles, Connie

No need to apologize!! I am just in an impish mood and it struck me as funny. Hope no feelings were hurt!

Thanks for the info though! I was wondering if my DH and I could bring a case of wine onto the Coral for our 2 week cruise? We did bring a case before onto a Carnival ship for a 1 week cruise and there were no questions asked. We were even lucky enough to not get charged any corkage fees! They charge $10 corkage. I don't begrudge it though because they go to the trouble of opening, serving, storage of the left over wine ( like that ever happens!! Tee Hee ) .....so it is a win win senario. We get the exact kind of wine we want and they still get to make a little money on our alcohol consumption. ;)

Smiles, Connie

Just one case for a two-week cruise????!!!

Connie, you must have more! We don't mind paying the corkage fee imposed because we are bringing wines from our cellar. We enjoy small boutique wineries from Napa with low production numbers. You will never find them on a cruise ship wine list and if you did they would cost $$$$$$$$$$. It is not a big deal to bring your own wines and enjoy what you like. Have a great cruise.

Being treated in this manner by Princess is one of the primary reasons I choose them time and time again for my holiday experience. And I know that we all will do our best to encourage Princess to continue this “looking the other way” by showing them we will not abuse it.

This is the reason why we remain loyal to Princess.

Let's just say for years I have brought a blender and

numerous bottles of liquor onboard in my luggage.

However, I don't flaunt it while onboard. Keep the

hard stuff in the room.

The fact that Norweigen confiscates bottles at embarkation

is the reason why I'll never sail with that line. Princess

is far more lenient, and the appreciation is shown by keeping

what I bring aboard restricted to my cabin.

Yes, hard liquor is banned (as per the contract), but Princess seems to not enforce it as much as most other cruise lines do. They seem to prefer to treat their customers as grown adults who respect the privilege, and not abuse it. If you try to take a case of Jack Daniels on-board they might have something to say about it, but that bottle in your checked baggage has, in the past, been fine, (and yes, they know we do it).

In total ageement, while we cruise on other lines, Princess remains our favorite. We have noticed that Princess security is more interested in "real security" rather than being booze police.

Cheers, happy cruising.:)

Thank you for all the suggestions and advice about carrying liquor on board. My question really was about if Princess would overlook the bottles in my luggage and not really "how" to pack it. Just was asking if anyone had any problems didn't mean to get anyone involved in anything illegal!! I enjoy a cocktail and/or a glass of wine on my balcony but I also enjoy going to the bars. Not bringing adult beverages with me because I'm cheap just for the convenience.

Last year my husband and I each had one bottle of wine in both of our checked bags, and one bottle of wine each in both of our carry-on bags, when we boarded the island Princess in Vancouver... and no one said anything about them. Two of the bottles were actually gifts for friends back home which I didn't want to pay to ship. I know no one opened our checked bags because they were locked.

Not that I recommend doing this....

But when we were in San Juan two years ago

boarding the Caribbean Princess, there was a

liquor store in the hangar. People were bringing

cases of beer and liquor aboard with no problem.

I think the people running the security at embarkation

are not associated with Princess and don't really care

what you bring onboard.

However, that being said, I don't particularly appreciate

people flaunting the fact they are bringing booze

onboard at embarkation because you get the feeling

sooner or later Princess is really going to enforce the

rule because of people that abuse it openly.

Some fool was on this board two years ago posting

wildly how he was laughing at Princess' liquor policy

and was walking around ship with bottles in his hand

and around his deck chair. I was amazed at how many

Cruise Critic members came back at him quite angrily.

Really, if you are going to bring booze aboard by all

means do so, but stuff it in your suitcase and keep it

on the "low" while aboard ship.

Archived