best cruise line for single mom w/ teenagers

EliseinAustin

This summer will be our "2-year" anniversary of my dh's death -- so I'm planning something to get us away, and concentrating on family....

I will have with me

22 yo who just graduated from college (dd)

18 yo who just graduated from HS (ds)

17 yo who will graduate next yr (dd)

13 yo son (ds)

I've read that this is not usually a trip where lots of TEENAGERS go, but it seems that the shore excursions can be really FAMILY centered -- river rafting, dog sledding....they all look great.

I really don't know WHERE to start. HAL, PRINCESS, DISNEY? I'm hesitant to try disney b/c this is their inaugural year. I don't want my kids to be bored on the ship -- unlike going to the caribbean, i think it's probably going to be too cold to hang out by the pool... some I'm wondering what teenagers do on the ship?

I keep reading about choosing a ship by the ITINERARY. I'm not sure what the best itinerary IS for Teenagers.

Thanks for your help. I am VERY nervous and feel apprehensive, and wonder if this is TOO BIG of a stretch for me.... DisneyWorld seems easier somehow... but AK is where I want to go. Any help is appreciated.

Our kids are 20, 19, and 16 and I'm trying to figure out the same thing. We've only cruised Carnival in the past, but I don't care for the Carnival itinerary. I like the Princess itinerary best because they go to Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay, and I think they generally well regarded in Alaska. Royal Caribbean may have a younger crowd and I believe their ships have more amenities for this age group (rock climbing wall, skating rink, flow-rider, etc.). Most cruises stop at the same ports. I think you'll be able to find fun things to do at each stop. My kids would say they're too old for Disney.

We took our teen (age 16) and preteen (age 12) on HAL's 14 night itinerary last August. I think that when people talk about the itinerary, they're referring to glacier viewing and port stops/times. You and the teens should first decide which glaciers you would like to view and which ports you would like to visit, i.e., some activities are port-specific or much better in certain ports. Also decide with the teens whether you want to include a land tour of the Alaska interior. Once you know which glaciers to visit and what you want to do in the ports, you can more easily determine which cruise to take. We decided on the HAL 14 night for 2 reasons: (1) the price was unbeatable because the 3rd and 4th people in the cabin paid only taxes for the full 14 nights, and (2) we wanted to visit some of the more unusual ports, such as Anchorage, Homer, and Kodiak. The trip was great. Your teens will love it, especially if you have them help you plan the excursions.

You're right, the ports are where it's at. So choose itineraries with the longest port times. I'm always shocked when I see people have already chosen their cruise, then realize they have short times, the really bad 7am-2pm for example and come here trying to figure out how to accomplish anything.

Trust me, after a full day of activities, they're not going to feel bored in the evenings.

It can get expensive quickly, though. But just remember, you can rent a car in any port and just do free hikes. We have an extensive trail system in Alaska.

Sorry about your husband.

You want long port times that don't start early in the AM. There is lots to do on the ship at night if they participate in the youth activities or go to the shows with you. On our Alaska cruise on Carnival, the 11 year old was out late each night so it was hard to get him going when we had to be out in the AM. We took Carnival one way Seattle to Vancouver including Glacier Bay. I have nothing to compare to but I would include Glacier Bay if you want to see glaciers, it was amazing.

From my research last year, I think in the peak summer months there will be lots of youth on all the main stream lines.

Disney is very expensive and I doubt your kids are that in to Disney at their ages, I would not pay the extra to go with them.

On Carnival there were activities for 17 and under and then lots of activities for adults that kids can certainly attend and have fun with. The ship had a covered heated pool so people did hang out at the pool.

For itinerary you need to decide Glacier Bay or not and one way to tour more of AK or round trip usually out of Seattle or Vancouver (we did Seattle to Vancouver but that is unusual). Then look at times and length of port times. Some times are way too early, 6:30 AM to 12 or some such thing. Teens may sleep through the whole port time!

Jen in SoCal

This summer will be our "2-year" anniversary of my dh's death -- so I'm planning something to get us away, and concentrating on family....

I will have with me

13 yo son (ds)

I've read that this is not usually a trip where lots of TEENAGERS go, but it seems that the shore excursions can be really FAMILY centered -- river rafting, dog sledding....they all look great.

I really don't know WHERE to start. HAL, PRINCESS, DISNEY? I'm hesitant to try disney b/c this is their inaugural year. I don't want my kids to be bored on the ship -- unlike going to the caribbean, i think it's probably going to be too cold to hang out by the pool... some I'm wondering what teenagers do on the ship?

I keep reading about choosing a ship by the ITINERARY. I'm not sure what the best itinerary IS for Teenagers.

Thanks for your help. I am VERY nervous and feel apprehensive, and wonder if this is TOO BIG of a stretch for me.... DisneyWorld seems easier somehow... but AK is where I want to go. Any help is appreciated.

I will have with me

13 yo son (ds)

We were on a Celebrity cruise to Alaska last year and were surprised by the number of families with teens on the cruise. BTW, they were really well behaved and we had a good time on some of the excursions with younger cruisers, especially the ziplines.

I think my biggest question would be how much they enjoy rigorous excursions. This is a great opportunity to do exciting outdoor activities and stretch boundaries, BUT that might work against you if your kids are expecting umbrella drinks around the pool. And if you are leaving out of Vancouver or Seattle, you will have two of the coolest cities around for young people. Just keep the girls off Robson Street and shopping!

My cousin went on a big trip with four kids about the ages of yours right after her husband's death. She said that financially, it was the most foolish thing she could have done. However, it saved them as a family and gave them a great idea of what they could be moving forward. I hope your trip is as rewarding.

Viv

Carnival has always seem to cater to the younger crowd so that would be my choice personally.

This is NOT the case in Alaska. You can expect the same demographics on Carnival in Alaska that are sailing all the other lines. Middle aged and above will be the bulk with all ages sailing.

We have been on Celebrity with our daughter (25) several times, beginning when she was in her late teens. Two of the trips were to Alaska, and we're returning this summer. Great shore excursions and lots to do on board. We prefer going in and out of the same port since it seems the flight prices are better. This will be a bittersweet trip for us. We were there several years ago and two of our very good friends traveling with us have since passed away.

Thanks for giving me a direction to start in.

1. What ports to visit

2. Length of time in ports

3. My kids are really adventurous -- would love ziplining, water rafting... so, I'll look there... Thanks for everyone's help.

Add, glacier. This can be a significant choice, depending on interests. Also route, and price.

#3 has nothing to do with the ship and will be available no matter how you get there. :)

IF there are specific- must do touring priorities, then also factor those into the initial selection. Keeping in mind timing and availability.

Plenty to do on board Celebrity to Alaska? Far & away Celebrity would be my preference if not traveling with my daughter. Celebrity's Galapagos trip was wonderful. But she is at the age where she likes the nightlife (and I am at the age where I go to sleep).

Archived