Baltimore Hotels - Help! Most are booked!

tjljsc

I live nearby( about 15 minutes from BWI) and the only place in Baltimore DH and I feel 'safe' is the Inner Harbor. there is nothing to do around BWI and there is not really anything conducive to safe pedestrian access.

and with the race that same weekend.. well it will be even worse than normal.

Do you know if there's anything big going on the weekend of Sept 10-11?

How about the Sleep Inn and adjacent Comfort Inn? Is that a safe area to walk and are there budget/chain restaurants in walking distance?

I recently stayed at the Comfort Inn BWI but we didn't walk around because it was too cold. We ate right at the restaurant in the hotel and also had the breakfast buffet there, great food. Sleep Inn is next door to the Comfort Inn but no restaurant so people were walking to Comfort Inn to eat. There is also a lounge there if you want to sit and relax out of your room.

I found rooms at the Days Inn in Glen Burnie and the LaQuinta at the airport for the dates during the Grand Prix. What was interesting is the LaQuinta that was in Glen Burnie is booked and it's only 1/4 mile or so from the Days Inn. I found very few things around the airport...the Embassy Suites, Marriott's, Doubletree were all booked. Some of the hotels that are off Route 295 or Route 100 might be possibilities.....Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Aloft and Residence Inn, but they aren't all that close.

I didn't think the Grand Prix would necessarily be that big of a deal....glad we don't need a hotel....we have tickets for all three days!

Any recommendations in this area? Also, are there things to do? I live in VA (mom's flying in from Chicago), so we were thinking of spending Friday afternoon/evening exploring Baltimore, staying overnight and then heading to the port after breakfast. I don't want to stay in suburbia (might as well stay at my place and drive up the next day).

Well in the BWI Hotel District you will find hotels from all the major chains. There are standard hotels, suite hotels, extended stay properties, and modt of them have shuttles to the airport and cruise port. As far as things to do the only thing I can think of is the Arundel Mills Mall which is about 15 minutes from the airport. There are all the typical mall activities, bars, restaurants, movie theater, and even a Medival Times restaurant and showplace. With the Grand Prix in the downtown/Inner Harbor area it will be a madhouse with restricted access and tons of people. So I guess you can flip a coin to decide what is the best for you to do. Good luck.

I didn't think the Grand Prix would necessarily be that big of a deal....glad we don't need a hotel....we have tickets for all three days!

They're expecting over 100,000 people. Thank goodness you don't need a hotel. :eek:

With the Grand Prix in the downtown/Inner Harbor area it will be a madhouse with restricted access and tons of people. So I guess you can flip a coin to decide what is the best for you to do. Good luck.

Yes, a madhouse indeed. :D

How about the Sleep Inn and adjacent Comfort Inn? Is that a safe area to walk and are there budget/chain restaurants in walking distance?

If you are speaking of the ones two located on Belle Grove Road/Baltimore Annapolis Blvd/Camp Meade Road, they are in a decent area. It's near the light rail station so you could go to the city if you wanted to head down there. As far as restaurants, the Rose Restaurant is in between both the Comfort Inn and the Sleep Inn. There is a Checkers across Belle Grove Road and a Dunkin Donuts on the Baltimore Annapolis Boulevard side. The road there is very busy.

You can see if the shuttle will drop you off at G&M for a crabcake or we go to a great sushi place in Linthicum called Matsu. I highly recommend it....matter of fact, we just came back from there. If you are not a sushi eater, there is an Italian eatery called Squistito which is in the same shopping center as Matsu. In the other direction of Ferndale, there is a Buffalo Wings and Beer and Italia's Corner Cafe.

I have arranged conferences for Pastors that visit the area and the Comfort Inn is usually who I've arranged them with. They told me that they will shuttle them where they want to go and I have seen the local hotel shuttles at G&M, so ask to see if they would do that for you. :) I haven't been to the Rose in years. My old boss used to take us there for Secretaries Day....that was about 7 years ago. It's been there quite some time....it's just never been very memorable to me.

We just booked our cruise out of Baltimore for September and I've started my hunt for a hotel the night before. Imagine my surprise to find out there's a big event in Baltimore over Labor Day weekend and nearly every hotel recommended here is sold out. Ack! Here's what I've found so far that's still available:

1. Best Western Plus Envy - Downtown Inner Harbor (seems new, but having only two reviews, even positive ones, scares me a bit)

2. Best Western Plus Hotel & Conference Center - Downtown (seems nice, but basic)

3. Hotel Brexton - Downtown (it looks like I can book a room via Priceline, but all other sites say sold out - worth the risk?)

Sadly, that's about it. Thoughts? Other recommendations?

Try Stay123.com. We use it all the time- we like Comfort Inn on Balti-Anna Blvd., and Holiday Inn Express. There will be several listed. You can leave your car in the hotel parking lot and their shuttle will take you to the port. You will pay mre to park at the port than for your overnight room and extended parking! Have fun!

They're expecting over 100,000 people. Thank goodness you don't need a hotel. :eek:

Yes, a madhouse indeed. :D

I've seen how busy and crowded the Inner Harbor can be just for a Ravens home game! I can't imagine how it would be with 100,000 people and most of the downtown/Inner Harbor closed because of the road closures for the race circuit :eek:!

I've seen how busy and crowded the Inner Harbor can be just for a Ravens home game! I can't imagine how it would be with 100,000 people and most of the downtown/Inner Harbor closed because of the road closures for the race circuit :eek:!

Yes, my thoughts exactly. ;)

Archived