Baltimore Hotels - Help! Most are booked!

tjljsc

We just booked our cruise out of Baltimore for September and I've started my hunt for a hotel the night before. Imagine my surprise to find out there's a big event in Baltimore over Labor Day weekend and nearly every hotel recommended here is sold out. Ack! Here's what I've found so far that's still available:

1. Best Western Plus Envy - Downtown Inner Harbor (seems new, but having only two reviews, even positive ones, scares me a bit)

2. Best Western Plus Hotel & Conference Center - Downtown (seems nice, but basic)

3. Hotel Brexton - Downtown (it looks like I can book a room via Priceline, but all other sites say sold out - worth the risk?)

Sadly, that's about it. Thoughts? Other recommendations?

I've used buyreservations.com to find a park/fly/cruise package. This past January we used the Hyatt Place in Linthicum Heights, (near airport) that provided transportation to and from the cruise terminal. They also provide transportation 24/7 to the airport with free parking at their hotel. There are other hotels listed on this site and I did try to check availability on 9/04 but wasn't sure of the date you needed a hotel. The 9/04 date seemed good.

Good luck finding a hotel.

Doodle

We just booked our cruise out of Baltimore for September and I've started my hunt for a hotel the night before. Imagine my surprise to find out there's a big event in Baltimore over Labor Day weekend and nearly every hotel recommended here is sold out. Ack! Here's what I've found so far that's still available:

1. Best Western Plus Envy - Downtown Inner Harbor (seems new, but having only two reviews, even positive ones, scares me a bit)

2. Best Western Plus Hotel & Conference Center - Downtown (seems nice, but basic)

3. Hotel Brexton - Downtown (it looks like I can book a room via Priceline, but all other sites say sold out - worth the risk?)

If there is a big event going on in downtown like a convention or something hotels in downtown/Inner Harbor are going to be sold out or have sky high rates. I am not familiar with any of the hotels you say have availability, if you have no luck try looking out near the airport. BWI has what they call the "Hotel District" that's 5 minutes from the airport terminal. The hotels in this area are usually cheaper than the Inner Harbor/downtown, have park and cruise rates, have shuttles to the port terminal, and have shuttles to the airport terminal so you can use the light rail to go into the Inner Harbor/downtown area. Good luck. :D

Try Stay123 dot com

Imagine my surprise to find out there's a big event in Baltimore over Labor Day weekend and nearly every hotel recommended here is sold out.

If there is a big event going on in downtown like a convention or something hotels in downtown/Inner Harbor are going to be sold out or have sky high rates. Good luck. :D

Brand new venue for Baltimore. I imagine race fans will even have the BWI hotels booked. ;)

http://baltimoregrandprix.com/

I am going to the Baltimore Grand Prix and I started looking for rooms in December and most were booked then. the ones that were available were so overpriced that it was insane. I think your best bet would be to stay by the airport. I gave up and decided to drive each day. i wish you luck!!!

Brand new venue for Baltimore. I imagine race fans will even have the BWI hotels booked. ;)

http://baltimoregrandprix.com/

Wow! A Grand Prix in Charm City. I can see the attraction that this will be. I also agree that finding a hotel even out by BWI might be difficult too! I'm also sure that any of the hotels in downtown/Inner Harbor that might have rooms available those rooms will be very expensive! :eek:

Have you tried www.stay123.com yet? I see there are several hotels that still have availability for reasonable rates. These have free parking for up to 14 days and at least 2 have shuttles to the port.

Yes, but it's only pulling airport hotels. I was hoping to find something downtown, but no such luck. I was going to book at the Brexton and they were showing availability for 9/2, but they called back and said they have a 2 night minimum that weekend. Ugh.

There are several of hotels about 15 minutes north of the cruise terminal located at White Marsh Maryland. They have a Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn and a Fairfield Inn & Suites.

Yes, but then we have the issue of getting to the port. My husband is dropping mom and I off on Friday afternoon (we live in VA), so we won't have transportation the next morning and I'm not really interested in metered cabs.

If there is a big event going on in downtown like a convention or something hotels in downtown/Inner Harbor are going to be sold out or have sky high rates. I am not familiar with any of the hotels you say have availability, if you have no luck try looking out near the airport. BWI has what they call the "Hotel District" that's 5 minutes from the airport terminal. The hotels in this area are usually cheaper than the Inner Harbor/downtown, have park and cruise rates, have shuttles to the port terminal, and have shuttles to the airport terminal so you can use the light rail to go into the Inner Harbor/downtown area. Good luck. :D

Any recommendations in this area? Also, are there things to do? I live in VA (mom's flying in from Chicago), so we were thinking of spending Friday afternoon/evening exploring Baltimore, staying overnight and then heading to the port after breakfast. I don't want to stay in suburbia (might as well stay at my place and drive up the next day).

I took a look at the race course for the weekend, and it runs right down the Inner Harbor on Light Street down to Lee, makes a U-turn, then East on Conway, down Howard Street, then over to Russel, and then up to Pratt St. Basically, access from down town to the port will be a long way around.

I would highly recommend staying either down by the airport, or at least south of the city. The Days Inn in Glen Burnie (6600 Ritchie Hwy) offers a shuttle to the port. It's only about 5 miles to the port... It's not really an "airport" hotel, so you should be able to get a room.

Good luck!

Aloha,

John

Any recommendations in this area? Also, are there things to do? I live in VA (mom's flying in from Chicago), so we were thinking of spending Friday afternoon/evening exploring Baltimore, staying overnight and then heading to the port after breakfast. I don't want to stay in suburbia (might as well stay at my place and drive up the next day).

Here's several threads regarding CC members' opinions of BWI hotels. I'm not familiar with them.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=19669489

There's not much at all to do around BWI, and yes, it is suburbia. ;)

Yes, but then we have the issue of getting to the port. My husband is dropping mom and I off on Friday afternoon (we live in VA), so we won't have transportation the next morning and I'm not really interested in metered cabs.

Fairfield Inn & Suites White Marsh provides a shuttle. You would drive north of downtown Baltimore and pass the cruise terminal on the way. I just checked their site and found nothing on the cruise package (used to be there), but I called the hotel and spoke with "Ashley" at the front desk who confirmed they still shuttle to the terminal.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bwims-fairfield-inn-and-suites-white-marsh/

I can only imagine that all major arteries leading into downtown Baltimore will be a big issue during the Grand Prix.

Comments?

Well, I'm an urbanite, so safe to me may not be safe to you. I don't travel the streets by myself at night anywhere (city, country or suburbs) except occasionally in Manhattan where there are usually always people around. ;)

There's really nothing around BWI, so there's no pedestrians. I recently read here that some cars were broken into at a BWI vicinity hotel.

There are no hotels within walking distance of the Baltimore port.

The closest hotels to the port are located at the Inner Harbor and, yes, there are many restaurants to walk to safely from all hotels in the Inner Harbor, Harbor East and Fells Point. ;)

I live nearby( about 15 minutes from BWI) and the only place in Baltimore DH and I feel 'safe' is the Inner Harbor. there is nothing to do around BWI and there is not really anything conducive to safe pedestrian access.

and with the race that same weekend.. well it will be even worse than normal.

Archived