Recently on Sovereign (2/25) - anyone have any questions?

We just got back from a 3-day crusie on the Sovereign of the Seas. If anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to answer them!

Rhea

Did you take any liquor/wine on board with you? Corking fee?

Did you buy any liquor in the duty free? If so, how were the prices?

Did you have a good time?

Parrothead8: Sorry I missed you! lol Did you enjoy the cruise as much as we did?

Mabers: My step-dad got a small bottle through in his check-in luggage. The prices on the ship are very good but not as good as St. Thomas. We compared prices in Nassau with the ship prices and they were comparable, so we just bought ours on the ship. Also, we had four adults and we purchased 8 liters. The rule is 1 liter per adult duty free plus another liter per adult of anything made in the Bahamas. My step-dad and I claimed the extra bottles on the morning of debarkation and didn't get charged any duty for the extra bottles (four extra), but they did charge a lady ahead of me who had about 18 bottles.

We had a great time! We've cruise on the Sovereign several times and have never had a bad time. Only complaint my step-dad had was that he could only smoke his pipe in two places - the Crown Viking and one side of the promenade deck. You could smoke cigarettes a lot more places which surprised me.

la_croisiere_s'amuse: We didn't have a suite, unfortunately. Our cabin was on the Mariner Deck (Deck 8).

I go on a 3 night in 2 weeks.

1) Did you make it to Coco Cay? 2) Do they still have the water "playground" there, and is there a charge to use it? 3) What deck did you stay on? 4) How was the food? 5) Do you have a compass you can email me or post on a website? 6) what would you recommend doing in Nassau 6) Would you do this cruise again?

Thanks

Iyl and Crew32: Yes, we did go to Cococay and it was beautiful. I'm not sure about the waterpark but I know they do charge for it if it's running.

We stayed on Deck 8, Mariner Deck. We take this cruise all the time as a nice long weekend getaway. This was our 5th time on SOS and our 8th cruise all together. Deck 8 is a great buy. Since the windows have partially obstructed views (by lifeboats), the cabins can be a bargain but you still get to stay on a higher level deck.

We thought the food was great and better than the last time we cruised on SOS which was Nov. 2003. If you get Raymund as your waiter and Casey as your head waiter, you will have wonderful service. We were in the Illusions dining room.

I'm sorry but we didn't save any of our Compass newsletters but I can answer any questions you might have as to activities onboard.

Nassau isn't our favorite port but we have done the Blackbeard's Beach Break and really enjoyed that. We did the Atlantis Beach Break and Harbor Cruise once and didn't think it was worth the money we paid. You can easily get around town on your own and it is within easy walking distance from the ship. The shopping is OK, not as good as other ports that we've visited. If your into shopping, definitely go to the shopping talk given onboard on embarkation day around 3:00.

Hope this answers all your questions! Let me know if you have any more.

Yes Teach..we enjoyed it..............like you,we are repeaters on the SOS(8th time)..............we didnt have a suite either(deck5),but next time we do.......(and have had pre refurbishment).......

We also brought liquor onboard(in carryon) and in our checked in luggage............we did not bring it to the dining room since we consumed it in our cabin predinner..however,in the past,I have never been charged a corkage fee,but no guarantees someone else will or wont ...

Deck 6...........................good== location..............bad==at times,you can hear the joggers/runners above you on deck 7.............

But hey,you're on a ship having a good time!!:D

Rhea, thanks for the offer to answer questions, I will be on in May, we also have a cabin on 8. What was your stateroom # and how much of an obstruction. We are towards aft and I am a little concerned about noise from Boleros. No too concerned.... I guess we'll just have to stay til closing, then it won't be a problem. lol

ML

Did you happen to have any teenagers traveling with you? I was wondering what types of activities they may have for them.

What were some of the drinks of the day?

What time did you arrive at Port Canaveral? Do they serve lemonade and cookies at the port while you are waiting to board, like they do at the Port of Miami?

wannacruise655: The amount of obstruction of your view depends on were your window is located but we've never worried about it since you can see quite a bit and you get a bit of a break in price. Our group had three cabins, #8562, 8564 and 8076. My mom and step-dad were in 8076 and it was over Bolero's. Mom said she could feel the vibrations a little from the music but it stopped around 12 midnight and wasn't too bad, so if you stay up late it's not a problem. We like staying on deck 8 since you get a price break and it's close to about everything.

peteypie: Yes we had our 17 yr. old and 13 yr. old daughters with us but they hung around with us this time. I know on other RCCL cruises we've taken that they do things like karaoke, scavenger hunts, teen pizza night, teen dances, but I'm sure it's more limited on a short cruise. Make them go to the first meet and greet at least, then they can decide if it's something they want to do. My kids still chat online with teens that they met on our cruises.

Some of the drinks of the day were a Bon Voyage (orange juice, pineapple and peach schnapps), Jamaican Me Crazy (didn't try that one) and I think a Bahama Mama type drink.

We got to Port Canaveral on our sailing day about 11:30 and we were on the ship by 12 noon. Rooms weren't ready until 1pm, so we just relaxed in a lounge area until 1 pm and then went to lunch in the Windjammer. We got through check-in so fast that I didn't notice if there was cookies and lemonade.

Hope you all have a great cruise!

Hi! We'll be cruising on the SOS for the first time in May. I had a few questions:

1- Did you make it to deck 9 at all? How was that? 2- Can you eat in the dining room for breakfast (instead of the Windjammer)? 3- Do any excursions in Coco Cay? Know anything about the kayak excursion? We're trying to decide if it's worth the $. 4- Any must sees/dos at either port?

Thanks!

Rhea, thank you so much for all the useful information you have given to us on the SOS.

We will be cruising on her May 6th and we’ll be in cabin # 8566. I was a little worried about the noise from Bolero’s, but you put my worries to rest.

laurasue: 1. Deck 9 is also a good location for your cabin. Never stayed on that deck but have peeked into the cabins and they are about the same as deck 8 without the obstructed view and maybe a little bit bigger.

2. Yes, you can eat breakfast in the dining room and we prefer that. It's much quieter and more relaxing but it doesn't stay open as long as the Windjammer. Breakfast was 6:30 - 9:30am each day in the dining room and the Windjammer was open until 11am for breakfast.

3. We haven't done many excursions on Cococay except snorkeling. We just like to enjoy the island and soak up some sun. Take a walk around the island. It's a beautiful place. Also, if you still need some souvenirs, there is a nice little straw market on Cococay, but you need to bring cash for anything you want to buy.

4. Nassau isn't our favorite port, but if you are beach people, we have done the Blackbeard's Beach Break and enjoyed that very much. We thought the Atlantis Beach Break and Harbor Cruise were a waste of money. Do Atlantis on your own if you want to see the hotel. Shopping is easy to get to on your own. Downtown is in easy walking distance of the ship. Nassau isn't the prettiest town to walk around. We tend to stay on the ship since we've been there several times.

moni: Your cabin is just next door to the ones we had. If Daniel is your stateroom attendant, you'll have no problems. He did a great job - very friendly and smiling all the time.

Thanks for all the great info! We're really interested in the Stuart's Cove snorkeling in Nassau, I think that's where we'll spend our afternoon in Nassau. :) Also, great to know about the dining room. I've been curious about that but haven't found the dining room hours anywhere, except for the dinner seatings of course.

Susan---we were in 5069..very close to the shops,dining room(one deck down) and lots of activities........we enjoyed it.........

Laura--we did Stuarts Cove and it has been the best excursion we have ever done................it was great!!!!

Archived