Dunes river falls - is it worth it?

yankeeprincess

I was very skeptical....seemed like a total tourist trap. Climb some falls, big deal.

DH wanted to do it, so I planned it. I am SO GLAD we did it. It's fun, a bit challenging, and actually quite amazing. I was so surprised! The photos you see don't do it justice...they show a portion of the falls - you have to see it how big it really is. I think everyone should check it out when in Jamaica.

Peg

It is DEFINATELY worth it...

If you are going to go make sure you go early. We went in July of last year and as soon as we could get off the ship we went straight to the falls and there were not many other people there yet and it was very peaceful and calm...after we had climbed to the top and were ready to leave it was getting very crowded.

There are tour guides at the falls who will go with you and show you the easiest path and also help you through the "difficult" parts if you need help...if you do not have a waterproof camera the guides will carry your camera for you and somehow they keep them perfectly dry.

Dunns river falls was really one of the highlights of our trip and I am VERY glad we went!

As for other things to do I have heard people talk about a place called the "Blue Hole"...apparently it is a beautiful area and has cliffs you can jump off of into the water

I guess I'll give you a different take... just climbed this past Thursday.

While it has MUCH potential, there must have been 500+ people all trying to climb at the same time making for a very hectic climb. The guides move you up quite rapidly (maybe because we were on a package with the Dolphin Cove?? - Maybe because they wanted to get to the next group and get more tips??). We did climb mostly toward the middle of the formation which made it a bit more diffucult. The beginning is a bit tricky as the water rushing over the rocks is quite fast and our 11 yr old son and another 11 yr old girl had some problems. The second part gets a bit easier as the rocks flatten out a bit. We did the excursion from the RCI Navigator and all in all it was expensive for what you get.

Note that you do need water shoes or you have to rent them at the site for $7 per person (this is not included in the RCI package).

I guess I'll give you a different take... just climbed this past Thursday.

While it has MUCH potential, there must have been 500+ people all trying to climb at the same time making for a very hectic climb. The guides move you up quite rapidly (maybe because we were on a package with the Dolphin Cove?? - Maybe because they wanted to get to the next group and get more tips??). We did climb mostly toward the middle of the formation which made it a bit more diffucult. The beginning is a bit tricky as the water rushing over the rocks is quite fast and our 11 yr old son and another 11 yr old girl had some problems. The second part gets a bit easier as the rocks flatten out a bit. We did the excursion from the RCI Navigator and all in all it was expensive for what you get.

Note that you do need water shoes or you have to rent them at the site for $7 per person (this is not included in the RCI package).

How was Dolpin Cove?? We are planning on doing this excursion, but have found no reviews!:confused:

Dolphin cove was ok - did not swim with the Dolphins because have done this before in Cozumel. In watching the other group members it looked shorter than I remembered and appeared a little light on the interaction.

The shopping was ok - not that expensive but only a few shops. The lunch buffet was hamburgs, hotdogs, jerk chicken, salad, and some potato things (these were good). The soda (poured from large bottle only) was also included. Don't expect much from the food - quick lunch to hold you over until you get back on the boat. If you do go be sure to walk up the hill behind the main boardwalk and catch the paintings done by Zaro. He is an incredible artist.

The ride from Falmouth was about 45min but not bad - got to see the countryside. I would not do this a second time but once - maybe. All in all I'll give it a B- (would be a C+ if it wasn't for Zaro)

Boy i don't remember a beach there. There was a deck with chairs and a sand area where they had a tent setup for eating under. there were maybe 5 dolphin "pits" and 1 shark "pit". This wasn't really a beach stop, mostly tourist things with the dolphins, a small shark show were they feed them, a few shops, an area were they had a few parrots, and an area where there was a large iguana.

I did Dunn's river literally 20 years ago and remember being very disappointed and thinking "That's it??" the guide rushed us up the fall and it was mega crowded. I'll be heading back to Jamaica on the Oasis in May with my daughter who is 18 and at 1st was sure we would not be doing Dunn's River but after reading comments here I'm wondering if things are better or did I just really have big expectations back then? So my question is, are you allowed to linger or swim in any part of the fall? Do you have to go up in the chain of people holding hands, do you have to be with a guide or are you allowed to go up on your own?

Is there anything else to do right there (ie other hiking, foliage etc) if we came on our own?

When we went to the falls a couple weeks ago we had booked with a local tour guide. We got to the falls early and he took us right past all the huge groups waiting to climb! When our group of four started to climb we were almost the only people on the falls!! There was a group of three or four people ahead of us who appeared to be doing the climb on their own. We stopped several times for photos and our guide even showed us where we could fall backwards into a deep pool! Our experience at the falls was very enjoyable and they were absolutely beautiful!!

img035.jpg.9c9659253266efff3914ce04597ec5e9.jpg

DRF is a national park - not "an attraction". once you pay to get in you can stay all day, until they close if you want.

Do you need to use a guide? No. I've been going since 1986 and have never used a guide, last visit was in May.

Do you need to hold hands and play follow the leader? No, never have done that. We go up the middle!

drf8.jpg

drf7.jpg

drf4.jpg

Will the tours try to lead you directly to a guide? Yes, and they expect to be paid/tipped.

Will the tours suggest that you get to climb once and then be on your way? Yes, they want the next group in to make more money; especially if you are limiting yourself to the 'tour route' with its added stairs at el.

Can you stop and swim in the pools for a while? Yes ... for as long as you'd like.

drf9.jpg

Usa a guide to climb the first time; then head to the bottom and start over. But you'll need to negotiate a taxi pickup time for this. They 'know' how long one guided climb should take and that's the time they'll tell you they will pick you up. I tell them to come get me in 3 hours . . .

Courtney Taylor. He does not seem to be as widely used as others that are reviewed on these boards but we certainly had no complaints! He took us exactly where we wanted to go (we did the falls and river tubing then went to Scotchies for jerk chicken and pork and their delicious festival bread!) and then he dropped us off at Margaritaville! At each stop, Courtney waited with the van so we could leave our stuff with him. He had another guide with us who got out and got our tickets for us at each stop. (he's the one who got us past all the lines!!) It was wonderful! I would definitely book with him again!!

img030.jpg.0bd5255565d6e1991ba87467cbd8f8b8.jpg

Me and Courtney

I'm 55 - Those are my kids! I was their guide.... but true it was far from my first time and I knew what to expect and how to go about it.

Much of the 'hoopla' around DRF is probably attributable to the fact that it has been 'a destination' in Ocho for a very long time....since the 70's at least. Back then it was pretty much the ONLY attraction! Parts of the early Bond film Dr. No were filmed there. When I first went in the 80's it was via a US ship taking a break from the training station at Guantanamo Cuba. There were two main attractions then - DRF and a river rafting trip. Needless to say for sailors wanting to burn off some energy DRF had a raft ride beat all the way. We were often allowed to bring our own food, grills and beer and have BBQ on the beach.

Today you have things like Mystic Mt but that's only been around for a couple of years; so too Jimmy Buf' land. DRF boarders on historic today. Face it - injury lawyers would force the place to close in a week in the US!.

Capt BJ Thank you so much for the info and pics. This was exactly what I wanted to hear! We're going coming into Falmouth and were going to head out to Mayfield Falls instead but we're hearing its almost 2 hrs away, granted Ocho is still and hour from Falmouth but that gives us two more hours just to enjoy our day.

I climbed the falls last month...one of the highlights of my holidays.

My wife climbed the path alongside the falls and took video and photos of me, as she is not too confident in water / on slippery surfaces. I loved it though...did slip a couple of times but was fine. In some places the power of the water makes the climb a little challenging, but that's the point...when you make the top you feel like you have conquered the world. Would highly recommend it (and the falls are beautiful too...a lovely location and exhilerating erperience).

Archived