Can/should we bring a guitar?

kmflutist

I don't see a problem bringing it so long as no one else hears him play it. I have a brother in law who loves to play the guitar and he's actually quite good, but its aggravating beyond words that he plays it everywhere he goes. For peace in the family, no one says anything, but silence should be the default and innocent people should not have the burden of "rudely" asking someone to stop playing. One of my sons swears that he's going to "go Belushi" on him someday, rip it from his hands, smash it to pieces and then say....sorry. Of course he wouldn't ever do that, but it is rude to presume that others would want to hear you play regardless of your talent.

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I say leave the guitar at home. My cabin situation on the Liberty was a nightmare...between parents who kept plopping their kid out in the hall to play his mini bongo drums and the girl next door to me who insisted on practicing her flute during my afternoon naptime. I have never been so aggrevated or annoyed while I was supposed to be relaxing and enjoying a vacation.

There is an advantage to him bringing the guitar, no way is he going to be able to complain of you packing too many shoes!

Wow, never thought about it that way! :D

SummerXU - That would have made me batty! I have played the flute for 20 years and would never bring it on board a cruise ship. It's higher pitched and louder so I can imagine how annoying that had to have been for you.

My husband has no intention of playing anywhere but our cabin. He does play very quietly so I can't imagine anyone on either side of us hearing him at all. At home, he plays after the kids go to bed sometimes and they stay sound asleep.

My brother learned guitar on an acoustic and he would practice every day in the garage for hours and we never heard it. Acoustic guitars can be soft and perfect for any living environment as they are not like drums, electric guitars or tubas in that you really can practice without disturbing others. Since this cruise is a vacation for you my final thought is that if you can, bring it and see what opportunities for practice arises and it will be a part of the adventure.

We were on one cruise where a known singer came into the Karaoke room and amatures joined in on the fun. Be ready for anything including fun. Cruises are pretty amazing.

Sorry, but I wouldn't want someone playing the guitar in the room next to mine. Even if it wasn't "late". Sometimes people take quick naps when they come back from excursions, etc. and could be trying to sleep in the middle of the day.

Maggie

I doubt it would be heard any more than a TV in the next cabin. But, if he were to break it out somewhere on deck, it would only take one complaint from someone who didn't want to hear it to have it taken away.

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I say leave the guitar at home. My cabin situation on the Liberty was a nightmare...between parents who kept plopping their kid out in the hall to play his mini bongo drums and the girl next door to me who insisted on practicing her flute during my afternoon naptime. I have never been so aggrevated or annoyed while I was supposed to be relaxing and enjoying a vacation.

Here, you may be a minority....but not everywhere.

I gotta tell ya...the first time I heard bongos or flutes, guitars or tubas..my first stop would be Guest Services...period.

My brother learned guitar on an acoustic and he would practice every day in the garage for hours and we never heard it. Acoustic guitars can be soft and perfect for any living environment as they are not like drums, electric guitars or tubas in that you really can practice without disturbing others. Since this cruise is a vacation for you my final thought is that if you can, bring it and see what opportunities for practice arises and it will be a part of the adventure.

We were on one cruise where a known singer came into the Karaoke room and amatures joined in on the fun. Be ready for anything including fun. Cruises are pretty amazing.

Sold! :D I believe he's decided to bring it along. Oh, he has an electric guitar too and practices in the basement. You can hear that one coming up through the floor. It drives me crazy. Nope -- he wouldn't even think if bringing that on a cruise ship! Thank goodness he hasn't practiced that one in a while!

Here' date=' you may be a minority....but not everywhere.

I gotta tell ya...the first time I heard bongos or flutes, guitars or tubas..my first stop would be Guest Services...period.[/quote']

G'Ma, I appreciate the input, but it seems you're being a bit harsh. We wouldn't ever want to inconvenience or anger anyone on our cruise, but that might be hard if we're surrounded by folks who would run to guest services anytime they hear the slightest peep (rather than ask the offending guest politely to stop first). As a previous poster said, this is our vacation too and as long as we're not bothering anyone, I don't see the harm.

Wow, excited to hear this change in the policy. Now I can bring my ukulele on the cruise. I know it won't be a problem because 1. I play very soft 2. There is no way they could hear me above my 3 wild boys, ages 9, 7, and 5. Now I am waiting for the new policy that if your kids are too loud, they may be confiscated and returned to you at the end of the cruise - now that is a policy I would fully support!

Sold! :D I believe he's decided to bring it along. Oh, he has an electric guitar too and practices in the basement. You can hear that one coming up through the floor. It drives me crazy. Nope -- he wouldn't even think if bringing that on a cruise ship! Thank goodness he hasn't practiced that one in a while!

Glad to hear that he is sold, even if he didn't need selling! lol

I can tell you that he will be more disappointed if he left it at home and saw opportunities on the ship than he will be taking it and not finding opportunities.

My brother also played electric guitar and boy was that fun. Particularly when he tried to get down some song that was written to sound like a train coming into and out of a room. That one was just chalk board scraping fun. Nevermind the new player guitar version of a violin classic "Flight of the Bumblebee" and then there was "My Dog Has Fleas" with interesting new-player notes on electric guitar. That was just special! lol

You have my sympathy on the electric guitar basement issue. :D

Wow, excited to hear this change in the policy. Now I can bring my ukulele on the cruise. I know it won't be a problem because 1. I play very soft 2. There is no way they could hear me above my 3 wild boys, ages 9, 7, and 5. Now I am waiting for the new policy that if your kids are too loud, they may be confiscated and returned to you at the end of the cruise - now that is a policy I would fully support!

:D DITTO! We're leaving our 1 and 3 year olds with the grandparents. If people are worried about a soft acoustic guitar, they don't want to be next door to my kiddos!

Looking for opinions. My husband was asking me if he can bring his guitar on our cruise (it's an acoustic) to practice on occasion. My telling him that I really don't think we'll be in our cabin enough for him to get in any real practice, didn't change his mind.

I really don't think it would disturb people in cabins around us, as he plays pretty quietly (and wouldn't play late at night) but there's just something that makes me feel like it's a bad idea. Since this is our first cruise, I can't put my finger on what it is I don't like about it.

Anyone see why he should/shouldn't bring it along? Thank you in advance! ;)

it's a good thing for us it's not allowed.

;)

Glad to hear that he is sold, even if he didn't need selling! lol

I can tell you that he will be more disappointed if he left it at home and saw opportunities on the ship than he will be taking it and not finding opportunities.

My brother also played electric guitar and boy was that fun. Particularly when he tried to get down some song that was written to sound like a train coming into and out of a room. That one was just chalk board scraping fun. Nevermind the new player guitar version of a violin classic "Flight of the Bumblebee" and then there was "My Dog Has Fleas" with interesting new-player notes on electric guitar. That was just special! lol

You have my sympathy on the electric guitar basement issue. :D

I can't imagine Flight of the Bumblebee on a guitar! and for NEW PLAYERS?! Are these people crazy or what?

You're right - I don't think he needed to be "sold." I think he just wanted to make sure there wasn't an uproar of disapproval when I asked the question here. I really thought it could go either way.

it's a good thing for us it's not allowed.

If you're referring to musical instruments in general, others have posted here that Carnival has a new rule that they are allowed so long as there are no noise complaints received (at which time it would be confiscated).

If you're referring to musical instruments in general, others have posted here that Carnival has a new rule that they are allowed so long as there are no noise complaints received (at which time it would be confiscated).

as soon as i heard it, the complaint would be made.

Not sure what people have against kindly letting an offender know they are bothering someone before running off to the officials. It's a moot point. He'll be bringing it and no one will hear him playing quietly in our cabin.

;)

I can't imagine Flight of the Bumblebee on a guitar! and for NEW PLAYERS?! Are these people crazy or what?

You're right - I don't think he needed to be "sold." I think he just wanted to make sure there wasn't an uproar of disapproval when I asked the question here. I really thought it could go either way.

After the first DOD everyone will be focused on what to wear for dinner and that guitar they saw someone carrying on embarkation and that they will never hear is long forgotten. We cruisers have bigger decisions to make like "Chocolate Melting Cake" versus "Vanilla Creme Brulee."

Have a wonderful vacation! Nice talking to you.

Not sure what people have against kindly letting an offender know they are bothering someone before running off to the officials. It's a moot point. He'll be bringing it and no one will hear him playing quietly in our cabin.

after spending a day yesterday in a music room with instruments, it's amazing the fine line between those that think they can play, and those of us that have ears.

I may or may not be annoyed by it, depending on my mood and what I was trying to accomplish in the cabin at the time. :D

My son is a classical singer with a beautiful voice but there are times when he's singing away and I just want silence. Don't discount that others may want peace and quiet even if the playing is decent/good.

I may or may not be annoyed by it, depending on my mood and what I was trying to accomplish in the cabin at the time. :D

My son is a classical singer with a beautiful voice but there are times when he's singing away and I just want silence. Don't discount that others may want peace and quiet even if the playing is decent/good.

Oh I can understand that! :) Even if he were a professional, our object would be for no one outside of our cabin to hear it at all. We don't want to bother anyone as they have as much right to enjoy their vacation in their own way as we do.

I'am sure this person thinks of himself as jimmy hendrix.Being in the military every third person tryed to play a guitar badly.The rules state that you can bring these things on board until someone complains and then they will take it away till the end of the cruise.What would it be like if everyone brought along their favorite noise maker.I know---bagpipes would be nice.God, cant a person get along with out their toy for a week.Being on many cruises,as the cruise weeks goes on people tend to lose that happy smile they come on board with.Iam sure someone would be very willing to go see customer service.How about this--bring the electric one and use some head phones.

In certain situations like this, for instance, it is better to let those in charge take care of it. Avoids confrontation.

Frankly, I wouldn't approach the offender at all. Guest Services would handle it with no confrontational issues at all.

And, I would...at the first twang I heard.

I'm with you.....

I don't want to hear guitars, tubas, flutes, saxophones, banjos, harmonicas or any part of any instrument that isn't part of the on board entertainment...

It's as irritating as screaming kids, noisy drunks, and all night partiers down the hall.

Archived