Can/should we bring a guitar?

kmflutist

Sorry, after some of the things I've seen on cruises, there is no way I'm approaching a complete stranger to tell them to quiet their guitar playing.

I'll let guest services or security handle the complaints. It's their job. Not mine.

I'am sure this person thinks of himself as jimmy hendrix.Being in the military every third person tryed to play a guitar badly.The rules state that you can bring these things on board until someone complains and then they will take it away till the end of the cruise.What would it be like if everyone brought along their favorite noise maker.I know---bagpipes would be nice.God, cant a person get along with out their toy for a week.Being on many cruises,as the cruise weeks goes on people tend to lose that happy smile they come on board with.Iam sure someone would be very willing to go see customer service.How about this--bring the electric one and use some head phones.

I appreciate the input but I do have to throw in there that my husband absolutely does not "think he's Jimmy Hendrix." He is a novice and knows it - he has yet to play in front of anyone but family. Playing/practicing the guitar is one of his great loves and is something he doesn't get to do very often at home due to looking after 2 small children + a full time job.

Sorry, after some of the things I've seen on cruises, there is no way I'm approaching a complete stranger to tell them to quiet their guitar playing.

I'll let guest services or security handle the complaints. It's their job. Not mine.

Alrighty - I'll give you that one. You're right - never know what kind of person you'd be approaching.

G'Ma, I appreciate the input, but it seems you're being a bit harsh. We wouldn't ever want to inconvenience or anger anyone on our cruise, but that might be hard if we're surrounded by folks who would run to guest services anytime they hear the slightest peep (rather than ask the offending guest politely to stop first). As a previous poster said, this is our vacation too and as long as we're not bothering anyone, I don't see the harm.

Hi, Kate. I think what G'Ma is saying is that you would be disturbing them.

To me, people bringing musical instruments seems a bit indulgent. Just my personal opinion.

Tim

Hi, Kate. I think what G'Ma is saying is that you would be disturbing them.

To me, people bringing musical instruments seems a bit indulgent. Just my personal opinion.

Tim

Hey there, Tim. As for the indulgence, I do kind of agree. I was poo poo-ing the idea as soon as he brought it to me (more because I didn't want him lugging the darn thing around and into our tiny stateroom, etc) but as for G'Ma's comment and you saying you think she's saying we WOULD be disturbing her.... I just don't see how you can disturb someone if they don't see or hear you. That's the point I'm trying to make.

When we arrive and he wants to play in the cabin (when I'm showering or whatever time we're there) I was planning to go out to the hall, close the door and see if I can hear him before giving him the green light. At home, when he's one room away with the door closed, I can BARELY hear him, so I feel quite confident that folks won't be able to hear him. :)

Hey there, Tim. As for the indulgence, I do kind of agree. I was poo poo-ing the idea as soon as he brought it to me (more because I didn't want him lugging the darn thing around and into our tiny stateroom, etc) but as for G'Ma's comment and you saying you think she's saying we WOULD be disturbing her.... I just don't see how you can disturb someone if they don't see or hear you. That's the point I'm trying to make.

When we arrive and he wants to play in the cabin (when I'm showering or whatever time we're there) I was planning to go out to the hall, close the door and see if I can hear him before giving him the green light. At home, when he's one room away with the door closed, I can BARELY hear him, so I feel quite confident that folks won't be able to hear him. :)

I hear what you are saying, Kate. :) Many people can and do cruise (watch TV in their room, return to their cabin after a night of partying, and maybe even play a musical instrument, etc.) without disturbing others too much. But there are some people out there who are oblivious to the disruption they impose on others. They either don't realize the impact or don't care. They are the ones who can impact my cruise experience.

You seem to be considering your possible impact on others and will probably be just fine. Hope you have a great cruise! :D

Tim

You must not realize the gap under the door.

If he is bringing an electric guitar then he is in luck and won't bother anyone. Without an amplifier it won't be heard. If he wants "head-banging" loud then he can invest in a small (deck of card size) preamp that takes earbuds to be heard and then he can crank. Again no one can hear.

Cheers!

You must not realize the gap under the door.

Please see my previous post about barely being able to hear him from the next room when we're at home. ... and that's through a cheapo wood door with a big crack underneath and all hardwood floors (no carpet to muffle the sound).

Thanks again for all of the input folks. I don't really want to deal with him bringing it but it's his cruise too and he'll enjoy having it around to play.

Please see my previous post about barely being able to hear him from the next room when we're at home. ... and that's through a cheapo wood door with a big crack underneath and all hardwood floors (no carpet to muffle the sound).

Thanks again for all of the input folks. I don't really want to deal with him bringing it but it's his cruise too and he'll enjoy having it around to play.

we don't know what your hearing range is.

Since you asked (which admirably shows your concern for the impact on others), I'd consider the impact on you both.

-If you are concerned that it may present a problem, then it is already a problem causing you concern. Leave it home and you have one less worry on your vacation, which should be worry free!

-One more piece of luggage to lug around and worry about potential damage.

-Unless Carnegie Hall is calling and one is practicing, practicing, practicing to get there, it seems recreational practice could take a week's vacation, too.

-Just enjoy the cruise.

Before I write the next few sentences, I realize that e-mail and posts don't have a tone, a voice. So, in advance let me say no sarcasm or criticism is intended. Your concern somewhat reminds me of the people who post asking for opinions on if they will be able to catch a 10:00 am/early return flight (as if any of us could predict for them arrival time of the ships, time in customs, misplaced luggage, traffic, etc.). Most responders responsibly post that they should book a later flight rather than worry about missing it for the entire vacation.

Don't worry; be happy. I'm betting there will be better things to do. Leave the Gibson home.

Archived