Taxi Tour vs. Private Tour Operator

MiaS13

I've been researching our cruise stop in St. Maarten coming up in a couple of weeks here on Cruise Critic... I'd like to thank everyone who contributes to these boards, you are doing a tremendous service to fellow travelers!

I have reserved an all-day group tour with one of the well-mentioned operators on this board... but the more I researched, the more I felt like a private tour would be significantly more enjoyable, as there are 3 generations of couples in our party ages 26-27/53-55/75-77.

My great dilemma is now whether to book an all day taxi tour for us, or an all-day private tour with the same well-known operator above. I'm having a hard time seeing the benefits of going with the tour operator, besides the "free" alcohol. The taxi driver I'm sure will know as much of the Island as will the tour operator. The taxi will cost $20 pp less (that's 10 beers at the beach!)... they'll both be in air conditioned Van... where's the catch? I'm sure the tour operator will spend time beforehand planning an itinerary... But let's be honest, most of us on these boards like to plan things ourselves, don't we?

Can some veterans tell me why it would be better to spend $20 more per person for a private tour operator instead of reserving an official taxi for the day? :confused:

Never done a taxi tour because the others tours are usually pretty fun. I imagine you are talking about Bernards ??. Not sure why you don't just mention the tours name. I have used bernards and for 40 bucks a head it was well worth it to us.If your saving 20 bucks a head doing the taxi route just fo that then. I always stick with the best and most mentioned tour operators on CC as with that many great reviews you can't go wrong.

Well, $40pp is for the group tour... but for the same $40, I can get a private taxi for the whole day. I was really trying to go private and was trying to justify the extra $20 ($60pp) for a private tour vs. $40pp for a private taxi.

I've been researching our cruise stop in St. Maarten coming up in a couple of weeks here on Cruise Critic... I'd like to thank everyone who contributes to these boards, you are doing a tremendous service to fellow travelers!

I have reserved an all-day group tour with one of the well-mentioned operators on this board... but the more I researched, the more I felt like a private tour would be significantly more enjoyable, as there are 3 generations of couples in our party ages 26-27/53-55/75-77.

My great dilemma is now whether to book an all day taxi tour for us, or an all-day private tour with the same well-known operator above. I'm having a hard time seeing the benefits of going with the tour operator, besides the "free" alcohol. The taxi driver I'm sure will know as much of the Island as will the tour operator. The taxi will cost $20 pp less (that's 10 beers at the beach!)... they'll both be in air conditioned Van... where's the catch? I'm sure the tour operator will spend time beforehand planning an itinerary... But let's be honest, most of us on these boards like to plan things ourselves, don't we?

Can some veterans tell me why it would be better to spend $20 more per person for a private tour operator instead of reserving an official taxi for the day? :confused:

Personally I would just do my research about what I wanted to see and go with the private taxi tour. That way you get to choose things that are of interest to you AND you don't need to worry about fellow tour passengers not being compatible with you.

i find this topic quite interesting to me. my friend and i would like an island tour without the beach or may i say, would like to spend only a minimum time at the beach. we're looking as to where we can save some $$ on these tours (tour excursions would easily add up into a couple of hundred$ more of vacation money). if a private taxi would fit the bill, is it safe going this route for two females? can a private taxi be reserved in advance or do we just approach them at the pier?

thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

i find this topic quite interesting to me. my friend and i would like an island tour without the beach or may i say, would like to spend only a minimum time at the beach. we're looking as to where we can save some $$ on these tours (tour excursions would easily add up into a couple of hundred$ more of vacation money). if a private taxi would fit the bill, is it safe going this route for two females? can a private taxi be reserved in advance or do we just approach them at the pier?

Exactly! If I knew the answer to those quetsions I'd feel much better about booking.

2cool2cruise, what did you end up doing? That is my dilema. We don't want the beach thing. Maybe Maho beach but we do not want to lounge around on the beach. I can't find anyone to do this besides the ships tour. Bernard wants $75.00 per person because we only have 4 people. Thats too much for 3 - 4 hours. Is it easy to get a taxi to do a tour

<snip>

if a private taxi would fit the bill, is it safe going this route for two females? can a private taxi be reserved in advance or do we just approach them at the pier?

Well, as long as you stick to official taxis, you'll be fine. They are well organized, licensed and regulated.

all its members are fully licensed, operate well-inspected vehicles, have full insurance coverage, provide reliable service and get complete training in all aspects of customer service

Their vehicle will have a license plate of 'TAXI xx' and the driver will be uniformed.

Stay away from 'Gypsy' taxis, no matter what!

There is no reason to reserve in advance, though their website says that you can. Just go to the taxi dispatch area and check their listed tours and/or negotiate any changes you might like to make.

gary

There is no reason to reserve in advance, though their website says that you can. Just go to the taxi dispatch area and check their listed tours and/or negotiate any changes you might like to make.

That is good to know, as I've been trying to contact them via their website for a while now with no luck. I've e-mailed them at info at taxistmaarten, reservations at taxistmaarten, and filled out a reservation form online...

I'm hesistant to cancel my currently reserved guided tour without a few answers from the taxi association.....

mostly if the "all day tour" is really "all day". I'd hate to plan out my "all day" and have it cut short, that would really rain on my day!

That is good to know, as I've been trying to contact them via their website for a while now with no luck. I've e-mailed them at info at taxistmaarten, reservations at taxistmaarten, and filled out a reservation form online...

I'm hesistant to cancel my currently reserved guided tour without a few answers from the taxi association.....

mostly if the "all day tour" is really "all day". I'd hate to plan out my "all day" and have it cut short, that would really rain on my day!

I e-mailed a question to them at taxisxm@hotmail.com and got a response from Nadae Smith, the office secretary, within 24 hours.

gary

I e-mailed a question to them at taxisxm@hotmail.com and got a response from Nadae Smith, the office secretary, within 24 hours.

gary

Thank you Gary!

I filled out a reservation form on their site and heard back from Nadae that way... unfortunately, turns out the "All Day" Tour is limited to 5 hours.

St. Maarten port taxis are not recommended - this is a cosa nostra supervised by what I would call thugs. We witnessed several arguments between the drivers and the 'supervisors' that arrange the taxi trips. My wife and I were both cursed for being Americans by the thugs that run the taxi service at the port. We now know why the cruise ships are very specific to take the 'water taxi' to Philipsburg! Walking to Philipsburg (maybe 1.5 miles) would be another option before jumping into one of those 'taxis' again.

KentuckyLuke

We will be touring with Bernard next month for our 4th time. We have toured using the private tour each time. Some tours we had a group of us and other times just my daughter and I. We feel safe with Bernard. We have learned so much from Bernard. We feel the extra money for a private tour is well worth the comfort, safety and relaxing time while touring with him. WE never worry about the time, the traffic or making it back to the ship on time. To us that is priceless. Our belonging are safe while we enjoy the water or shopping. I would never leave anything in a taxi.

We have had horrible experiences with taxi's though others have not. Just our experience on more than one Island. I prefer to play it safe on the Islands no matter what the cost.

We can't wait to be back on the beautiful Island next month, just wish it were for more than one day.

Have a wonderful time on the Island no matter what you choose.

We just want to snorkel and go to Maho Beach. We've done the island tours, and were just going to get a taxi and ask them for the snorkel recommendation and then to take us to Maho after that. From what I am reading here, that may be a bad idea. Suggestions?

If doing a taxi, do you pay part of it up front and the rest when they pick you up to take you back?

Archived