Back from our 3-day on the Dream

BabsBunny

Me, my husband and our 15 and 17 year old sons just got back from our first cruise. :) While I can't offer comparisons (first cruise ever), nor can offer any opinions on the shows (didn't catch a single one), I can answer any questions on how to enjoy the ship as lazily as possible. ;)

Just a few thoughts and observations.

Deck 5 verandah cabins - HUGE! I'd say about twice the size of the decks above us.

Palo - It was wonderful. If we ever book another Disney cruise, we will dine there twice. It's totally worth the $20 pp if you are a foodie and enjoy a leisurely dinner as opposed to the herding of the assigned restaurants.

Teens and Vibe - Before the trip I kept reading how much teens love cruising and how many friends they will make. I was a little skeptical, but they were right. The last night (or should I say morning) I went looking for them as they weren't back in the cabins. :eek: I found them with about a dozen other kids just hanging out in the "D Lounge" in The District. I was surprised to learn that everything stays open all night on that last night. I couldn't get angry with them. lol. And they both talked about how cool the Vibe couselors were.

Breakfast at Cabanas - Great selection of food in this buffet restaurant.

Sensations Spa - I had the seaweed wrap and half massage, and it was heavenly. I ended up spending too much on a couple of products, but I did get my treatment for half price. :o

Castaway Cay - Beautiful! We had great weather the whole trip. We rented bikes. Not only was it fun, it was also handy for getting over to the adult beach. Speaking of which, if you are having lunch without the kids, I recommend the BBQ on the adult beach. They had chicken, mahi mahi, hotdogs, hamburgers, steak, potato salad, salad, coleslaw and soft serve ice cream. No lines.

Nassau - The four of us did a segway tour and had a blast. I believe it was Bahamas Segway Experience. The owner picked us up and took us to the other side of the island to some private land. Our guide, Meex, was high energy and a lot of fun. We rode through through dirt paths, sand paths, along the water and through the brush.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I will try to answer. :)

I made sure to take a pic of the verandah. I will post some photos of the ship as well. :)

I won't mention the names of any other cruise lines or their ships, but I have to say that when you dock next to some of these older ships, the passengers on those ships look kind of like this -- :eek: -- when they see the Dream. :p

I made sure to take a pic of the verandah. I will post some photos of the ship as well. :)

I won't mention the names of any other cruise lines or their ships, but I have to say that when you dock next to some of these older ships, the passengers on those ships look kind of like this -- :eek: -- when they see the Dream. :p

I cant wait til our 3 night on the Dream!

Please post pics!:D

Thanks I will be looking forward to seeing some photos of the ship.

I have been docked next to other ships where people have their binoculars out trying to look at Disneys ship both the top decks and inside staterooms which is kinda creepy to have them looking in cabin windows.. I always close my drapes while in port now.;)

Kathy

Thanks for the review

We are on Deck 5 also cabin #5650 4 night in May

balcony looks huge from pics

So the main dinig rooms were crazy?

how was the food?

We are going to book Polo for Monday night once we are on board-cant do online

thinking 9PM take the kids to somewhere else for dinner earlier

as we have the 8:30 seating and send them to a movie or the Kids club

No just the Dream, but to all Disney cruise ship - Magic and Wonder too. And those look aren't just coming from the "older ships", they call from ships of all ages and sizes! :p

Thanks for the review

how was the food?

I was on the cruise from24th -27th on the Dream also. We found the food to be superior to the Magic and Wonder. The Cabanas Food Court is set up in "pods" that serve different items. Quality is very good as well as quantity of both food and selection.Service was spotty just because of our servers being new to not only the ship but the industry.But as time goes on they will improve. The dining rooms were not crazy but Animators Palate tends to back into the stairwell when waiting to enter just due to the fact that there is no where to assemble while waiting. The kids room (under 12) is HUGE and quite entertaining and kids are never bored. If your kids are under say 14 there is a detective game that they hunt clues down all over the ship and the pictures hanging on the walls come "to life" and give the kids clues on solving the puzzle.

Thanks for the review

how was the food?

We had the late seating too. One thing I learned from this trip is ALWAYS READ all those papers they leave in your hotel room and cabins. :rolleyes:

We got to our cabin and had no idea where we were supposed to eat the first night. I happened to look at the room key and saw 8:30 AER. Because of these boards I knew what AER meant. We got to Artist Palate and everyone had tickets. Of course we didn't because we didn't READ THE PAPERWORK. They let us in no problem.

Also, when we checked into AKV the night before the cruise, we didn't READ THE PAPERS, and the next morning we were on our way out the door to b'fast and the bellman was there ready to take our bags to the ship. Oops. We didn't have them ready, and our boys were sound asleep next door. He wasn't happy, but we rushed and got them packed and at the door in 15 minutes. He was happier after the tip my husband left him for his inconvenience. ;)

So the dining room wasn't crazy, but there were some negatives and positives. Mind you, I'm not a complainer and don't like to harp on the negative, but it was obvious to both DH and myself that our server and assistant server weren't getting along too well. While the assistant was more personable, he was also slowwww. Kids at other tables were eating their meals and we didn't even have our glass of wine we ordered right away. Our server, on the other hand, was about get 'em in and get 'em out. So appetizers were out before that darned glass of wine.

Basically, it's obviously about getting the kids taken care of first, and that is understandable. It's a Disney cruise afterall, and if my kids were little, I would be grateful for that. BTW, other servers seemed to be fun and entertaining.

I think the food was pretty good considering how many people they have to feed at one time. There was a pasta pursette with truffle at AP that was fabulous. The cod with garbanzo beans was a good, light selection. One of my sons had the chicken which was really tender. At EG my husband had a salmon tartar appetizer that was nice.

We booked Palo for 7:30 the final evening. There were so many choices it was tough to decide. First they come out with an antipasto (the meat and cheese version--not the salad). Then there is the pizza course. We had the mushroom pizza and it was hard to hold back from eating too much of it. For appetizer DH ordered argula salad, and I ordered fried calamari, mussels and scallops and we splitsied. We both ordered beef entres which in retrospect was kind of dumb--it's an Italian restaurant--but they were cooked to perfection. Our server also sent out some lobster ravioli and beef ravioli, which were both fabulous. For dessert I ordered some kind of hazelnut cake which ended up being like a mazipan cake.

I did notice that while the restaurant was quiet when we got there at 7:30, it was pretty full by the time we left.

On the same cruise also - first surprise was the menu for the opening buffet luncheon - I mean lamb chops, shrimp, crab legs, etc. 2nd surprise was the captain delayed sailaway so we could view the final shuttle launch!

The Carnival Sensation or Elation was next to us in port, and yes, it did look old and sad. My review should post in the next day or so.

On the same cruise also - first surprise was the menu for the opening buffet luncheon - I mean lamb chops, shrimp, crab legs, etc. 2nd surprise was the captain delayed sailaway so we could view the final shuttle launch!

The Carnival Sensation or Elation was next to us in port, and yes, it did look old and sad. My review should post in the next day or so.

Hi Evandbob. Yes, it was the Sensation.

Did you get stuck in traffic getting to the ship? We got in and went to our cabin and were starving. But then we had the drill. And then we had the shuttle launch which we watched from our cabin. We never found the buffet. I have to admit, as a newbie it was a little overwhelming at first. :p

Drink menu at Skyline

Projecting glass bottom hot tub in adult quiet area

Adult swim pool

Palo dessert 1

Palo dessert 2

Whoa! Back up the pumpkin there, Cinderella! :D

Glass bottom hot tub ???? :)

Details, please! Does it overhang the side of the ship ?

:cool:

2nd surprise was the captain delayed sailaway so we could view the final shuttle launch!

He really didn't have any choice; Coast Guard prohibits ship movement in the channel during launches. ;)

Launch was cool! We were among the thousands of folks at Jetty Park waving like crazy as you guys headed out into the ocean, with the ship playing a melody of tunes on the horn. :)

82 days until we get to experience Dream...

Whoa! Back up the pumpkin there, Cinderella! :D

Glass bottom hot tub ???? :)

Details, please! Does it overhang the side of the ship ?

:cool:

Well, maybe it's fiberglass. :P I googled around and came up with this. If you look close you can see the fiberglass panels. It's pretty cool. Not so cool when you are docked starboard side and you are looking down at pavement. haha.

5386803910_2d36b8f85c1.jpg

That's really cool (if a hot tub can be cool) ! :rolleyes:

That looks to be quite a bit larger than the ones on Magic and Wonder. Any estimate of how many people can use it at one time ? And is there another one on the port side ?

Thanks for the info.. one of you metnioned tickets for dinner...I don't know if I ever heard that before?

They are with the information in your room and just indicate your seating time and restaurant rotation. Like I said, that information is on your room key, so they aren't needed.

Hi Evandbob. Yes, it was the Sensation.

Did you get stuck in traffic getting to the ship? We got in and went to our cabin and were starving. But then we had the drill. And then we had the shuttle launch which we watched from our cabin. We never found the buffet. I have to admit, as a newbie it was a little overwhelming at first. :p

We left Orlando airport around 11AM and yes, there was extra traffic due to the shuttle launch. My son left around 1PM, and it was worse then, he was worried he miss might the ship......he didn't realize the sailaway was delayed and he was using the Disney shuttle bus, so he didn't have cause to fret.

Our cabins were deck 10 aft, so it was down the hall and up one flight of stairs for us to the buffet - we watched the launch from deck 12 aft, it was awesome!

Archived