Western Carib. Port Question for Solos

luvcruzing

I will be taking my second solo cruise next month to the ports of Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan, and Belize. My first solo was a 4-day cruise last year. This will be a 7-day cruise. My favorite pastime is sitting on the beach and maybe taking a short dip in the sea. I have researched the ports of call, and it seems that most of the recommended beach tours (except for Belize, where I was warned to only take a ship's tour) are through private operators. My question is: is it safe for a single woman to take or share a cab to any one of these beaches? Any advice or warnings are appreciated. Thank you.

Book through a local tour company, don't just get into a cab at the pier. If you book through a company you won't be alone. I've done it at a few ports and had a great time. If you want to just grab a cab, you might want to pre-arrange with some folks on your roll call to share one.

I will be taking my second solo cruise next month to the ports of Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan, and Belize. My first solo was a 4-day cruise last year. This will be a 7-day cruise. My favorite pastime is sitting on the beach and maybe taking a short dip in the sea. I have researched the ports of call, and it seems that most of the recommended beach tours (except for Belize, where I was warned to only take a ship's tour) are through private operators. My question is: is it safe for a single woman to take or share a cab to any one of these beaches? Any advice or warnings are appreciated. Thank you.

With the exception of Roatan, the ports are ones that I've visited as a solo cruiser several times.

I have shared a cab with others in Cozumel and Costa Maya with others from the ship. Mainly from tablemates and others I've met on the ship. Also, with the popular beach resorts in Cozumel, you will find that at the taxi stands, they will fill a taxi van with several people (6 to 10) before leaving. The same with returning back to the port. I would wait to ride with others.

Now for the ports, have you pick some things to do?

For Cozumel, I suggest the Cozumel Bar Hop or one of the resorts. Even if you don't drink, you can still enjoy the island on the bar hop. There are several great resorts that you can book for Cozumel.

The same for Costa Maya, I suggest heading to one for the day. I know that Island Marketing have a great deal with Pez Quarto. I've spent two visits at this one for under $40 and had a great time.

In Roatan, I've booked a private tour with one of the local tour guides suggested on the port of call. Now, I do request a female tour guide if possible.

In Belize, I've booked the cave tubing as a solo. I end up with one of the guides keeping an eye on me since I was alone.

These are great ports to go as solo!

Also, are you sailing on the Dream? Just curious because I am in September and these are the same ports!

No, I'm sailing on the NCL Spirit. Thank you for the replies. I'm not a timid individual, but just want to be safe.

I understand! People at work often ask do I worry about safety when traveling as a solo female, I tell them yes! Just because you are on vacation is no reason to let your guard down. I also pay attention to my "gut" if a situation don't feel right.

Give us a review on your return, esp on the Spirit!!!

No, I'm sailing on the NCL Spirit. Thank you for the replies. I'm not a timid individual, but just want to be safe.

I am also traveling solo on the Spirit in Oct. Have sailed the Spirit twe time before as a solo passenger. She is an excellent ship. Like what someone else said, I would make sure that you listen to your gut feeling. for me, I have had no issues and will usually meet other people on the boat to either share the taxis or even spend the time to go on a excursion.

Belize City of what I have seen on TV, can be a dangerous city because of gangs. I usually will get away from Belize City by booking the Shark Ray Alley excursion. This tour will take you to the Ho Chan reef for snorkeling with nurse sharks and rays. After that you are taken to Ambergris Cay for lunch and time to shop. they give you lunch and allow you about 2 1/2 hours to walk around the quaint small town of San Pedro. This is a very safe town where people get around on golf carts.

Last year, was my first time to Roatan. They take to the Carnival port called Mahogany Bay. This has a lot of shops and free beach, all totally safe. Did take an excursion to Maya Key.

Cozumel: shared a taxi ride to Chankaanab Park and Paradise Beach. These are very nice beaches to relax on.

Costa Maya, too a taxi for $3 pp to Mahahual. You can walk there as it is only 30 minutes by foot. The beaches are like you are in a Corona commercial.

The only place that I didn't feel safe was Guatemala. The Spirit used to dock there instead of Roatan. There you will see a lot of guns.

Cozumel and Costa Maya are very safe since the Mexican drug violence have not reached those areas.

The best advice I can give is to pick licensed taxis, either meet other people on the boat to share time with or go to places where there are crowds.

Have fun as solo cruising is the best way to go.

Archived