Celebrity Summit vs NCL Dawn to Bermuda

pinma

Has anyone been on both cruises? I'm looking to decide between these 2 for our next family cruise. I know the cruise lines are very different (more traditional vs more casual) and we would set our expectations accordingly. I am looking to compare the two on a range of points though.

To put us in context as cruisers: We've cruised twice. Once on the Celebrity Millenium. Once on the Enchantment of the Seas. Of those with an opinion (the 12 year old doesn't care so long as he can eat and swim), we all preferred our on-board experience with Celebrity. Those 3 are a 10 year old and two 39 year olds. We'd be cruising with 2 children who do NOT like children's programs, most likely in July. Driving to either port.

How 'nice' are the ships? Does one feel old vs new? Is one kept up better than the other? Does one feel more crowded than the other?

How do they compare in terms of space outside? Do either have open air aft dining? Nice large pool deck with plenty of loungers? A place to walk? A quiet place to lounge outside away from the noise of the pool deck?

How is the quality of the food vs expectations? ie, I'd expect different good on each but is each GOOD for what it is?

How is service on each? Particularly room stewards and in the dining room?

How do the 'standard' inside and oceanview cabins compare?

How does entertainment (shows and activities) compare?

What hidden costs might I be missing?

We like the idea of drink packages - smoothie packages for the kids, wine package for me, beer package for DH - on Celebrity. What might we find on NCL?

Many thanks to anyone who has insight for us :-)

I would go with Celebrity by far. Don't think you'll be happy on Norwegian, we went on that ship several years ago, mistake for us anyway. Food in the pay restaurants was great, especially steakhouse and french bistro. Food/service in free restaurants horrid, pool area horrible, and talk about a hard sell for products, I felt harassed at every turn.

That was our first and last cruise on NCL. Celebrity we've been on 4 so far, and all have been just outstanding from food to service, ship layout, etc etc.

I have not been on NCL before, but I did take the Summit last year to Bermuda and it was FANTASTIC!!!

We had previously only been on RCL and Celebrity just blew them away! The food was so delicious and service was OUTSTANDING!

We will be taking our 4 children with us on the Summit again in May. I am so excited. I know that they will have a great time.

Take this how you will, my parents have been on over 35 cruises on all different lines and said that they will never sail NCL or RCL again. RCL used to be their favorite line (they have cruised w/ them about 15 times or so) the last cruise w/ them they said was HORRIBLE. Said it reminded them of their NCL cruise. They ended up complaining to RCL and received a $250 off their next cruise. My Dad said that was worthless to him seeing as he will never sail with them again.

I'm leaning towards doing both cruises - one in 2012 alone with hubby (Celebrity) and the other with the kids in 2013.... if we like Bermuda. I want to give the NCL experience a try but I think Celebrity would make a much much better grown-up vacation.

Soooo excited about the upgrades coming to the Summit.

trust me you'll book Celebrity again:D NCL would be a step down, maybe a flight of steps. But, if you want book it you may like it. To us anyway there was no comparison. Celebrity in terms of food, service, ship layout, cabins all were better than NCL.

a few years ago we sailed NCL Dawn to Bermuda. Although the initial cost of the NCL cruise was low, it seemed like everything worth doing on the ship came with an additional price... and I didn't care for that.

This coming summer we had to choose between NCL Gem or Celebrity Summit. It took us all of 5 seconds to make the choice :D

I sailed NCL Dawn to Bermuda a few years ago and have been on three of Celebrity's M class ships.

NCL Dawn is a beautiful ship and has significantly better entertainment than Celebrity.

NCL has some of the best specialty restaurants at sea but the food in their main dining room is not as good as Celebrity.

NCL's standard cabins are smaller than Celebrity, but their mini suites are signicantly larger than any cabin that is not a suite on Celebrity. NCL also has amazing suites.

Has anyone been on both cruises? I'm looking to decide between these 2 for our next family cruise. I know the cruise lines are very different (more traditional vs more casual) and we would set our expectations accordingly. I am looking to compare the two on a range of points though.

To put us in context as cruisers: We've cruised twice. Once on the Celebrity Millenium. Once on the Enchantment of the Seas. Of those with an opinion (the 12 year old doesn't care so long as he can eat and swim), we all preferred our on-board experience with Celebrity. Those 3 are a 10 year old and two 39 year olds. We'd be cruising with 2 children who do NOT like children's programs, most likely in July. Driving to either port.

How 'nice' are the ships? Does one feel old vs new? Is one kept up better than the other? Does one feel more crowded than the other?

How do they compare in terms of space outside? Do either have open air aft dining? Nice large pool deck with plenty of loungers? A place to walk? A quiet place to lounge outside away from the noise of the pool deck?

How is the quality of the food vs expectations? ie, I'd expect different good on each but is each GOOD for what it is?

How is service on each? Particularly room stewards and in the dining room?

How do the 'standard' inside and oceanview cabins compare?

How does entertainment (shows and activities) compare?

What hidden costs might I be missing?

We like the idea of drink packages - smoothie packages for the kids, wine package for me, beer package for DH - on Celebrity. What might we find on NCL?

Many thanks to anyone who has insight for us :-)

Been on both. Took the Dawn to Bermuda last year. Just got off the Summit a week ago. I vote for the Summit. No question about it.

Archived