"Crafty" Cruisers

MagnoliaFly

To all you cruisers that love to do sewing or craft projects at home, what projects do you bring with you to work on in your down time (if any?)

I'm a quilter so I'm bringing supplies for a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt to work on while I'm on board. English Paper Piecing is something easy and portable to do by hand!

5377454535_8a6b7b2b44.jpg

Since hubby bought me my kindle 2 years ago I've primarily taken it along to read. But I do remember 1 cruise in the past where I spent time ahead of time cutting circles from fabric and used my travel time and some cruise time to create yo-yo's for a pillow.

I'm an avid knitter. Last summer I brought along a beautiful ball of light blue silk which was the same color as the Caribbean waters, and a complex shawl pattern.

I soon learned that knitting complicated patterns does not work when drinking DODs :rolleyes:

Next cruise I'm going to stick to a very simple sock pattern -- small to pack and something I can do without a lot of brainpower.

I crochet and I plan on taking my crochet bag to work on granny squares for a blanket I am making.

I also am making a beer hat to wear around the ship and at port, silly but I thought it was a cute idea

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wgFEri-bSYo/S2NFhcGKS4I/AAAAAAAAAV8/RbHiI3JHmo4/s320/BrCanHatDone.jpg

That is neat! Have you seen this one? My husband wants me to make him one but I don't knit anything really complicated.

beard-hat.jpg

I have taken along baby blankets to crochet edges onto, crochet materials to make potholders, and yarn for baby blankets. On QM2 there was a 'stitch & chat' session every sea day in one of the lounges and there were lots of different projects happening...socks, mittens, shawls, blankets. EM

To all you cruisers that love to do sewing or craft projects at home, what projects do you bring with you to work on in your down time (if any?)

I'm a quilter so I'm bringing supplies for a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt to work on while I'm on board. English Paper Piecing is something easy and portable to do by hand!

5377454535_8a6b7b2b44.jpg

I have a Grandmother's Flower Garden WOP (work in progress!) that I have been working on!! I love English paper piecing, although I don't quilt as much anymore as much as I'd like to.

But I love my stamping and scrapbooking! I bring paper, glue tape, etc., and actually work on some scrapbooking!

When we sailed the Victory 3 years ago they actually had a Scrapbooking "Class" where we met with other scrapbookers and worked on our scrapbooks on sea days!! It was great!!

I have a Grandmother's Flower Garden WOP (work in progress!) that I have been working on!! I love English paper piecing, although I don't quilt as much anymore as much as I'd like to.

But I love my stamping and scrapbooking! I bring paper, glue tape, etc., and actually work on some scrapbooking!

When we sailed the Victory 3 years ago they actually had a Scrapbooking "Class" where we met with other scrapbookers and worked on our scrapbooks on sea days!! It was great!!

I love to scrapbook, but I have so much that I would have to take it just seemed easier to crochet. I need to catch up on my kids scrapbooks so very badly tho. If I could cut it down to just a couple of things for a couple of pages I might do that.

I know the feeling, Christi! Once I get started, I want to put everything in there!! I am working on 2 scrapbooks right now from cruising! But I just take enough to give me something to do!

I have also started doing digital scrapbooking using Stampin' Up!'s digital scrapbooking program - didn't think I'd like digital cause I love paper - but I'm surprised how much I love it and have a lot of fun working on it!

Happy Scrappin!

I have a digital scrapping program too, but I have not used it yet. I might have to give it a try. I have 3 daughters, and the third one doesn't even have a scrapbook purchased yet. I am so far behind and I have no good excuse, lol. Now that you mentioned a book for cruises I want to do that too!

I am so bad I buy stuff on sale and put it in my stuff and I have been doing that over the years. Stuff in there right now that has yet to be used. I need to get the dust off that and start it back up!

I have a feeling my Grandmother's Flower Garden will be a WIP for a long time! They are a lot of work.

I've never gotten into scrapbooking but a lot of my friends do both. Quilting is addicting (and expensive) enough! I love the idea of a scrapbooking meetup on board. A little crafters afternoon would be fun on a sea day. Carnival should add that!

I think on the sailing where we did the scrapbooking that the Assistant Cruise Director - Yvonne I think her name was - organized it - she said she had done it on several sailings and it was a hit.

It was nice, they had Carnival-themed scrapbooks and paper kits available for purchase - they supplied us with some ship pictures - and we scrapped for 3 hours in the afternoon!! By the time we went home we had 3 pages done in our scrapbooks!!

I did write Carnival on how enjoyable that was - I think it is something that may be just at the CD's discretion.

But I have to say - you showing the Grandmother's Flower Garden has given me an itch to stitch!! hehe

I'm working on a crosstitch quilt for my granddaughter. It's not a full sized quilt. More like a baby sized quilt although she is 11. I have worked on it on 5 of the 7 continents. When I finally finish I HOPE I can tell her I worked on it on all 7 continents. Maybe I'll have it finished in time for her to take to college.:D I seem to work on it more on a trip than at home.

I think on the sailing where we did the scrapbooking that the Assistant Cruise Director - Yvonne I think her name was - organized it - she said she had done it on several sailings and it was a hit.

It was nice, they had Carnival-themed scrapbooks and paper kits available for purchase - they supplied us with some ship pictures - and we scrapped for 3 hours in the afternoon!! By the time we went home we had 3 pages done in our scrapbooks!!

I did write Carnival on how enjoyable that was - I think it is something that may be just at the CD's discretion.

But I have to say - you showing the Grandmother's Flower Garden has given me an itch to stitch!! hehe

Sounds like a potential moneymaker for them!

I'm totally addicted to quilting. I've got a blog and a podcast so I don't think I'm stopping anytime soon. Having to be away from my sewing room for a week is going to be tough which is why I'm having to bring a hand project.

For my last cruise I had 3 flights there and 3 flights back and 3 sea days. I decided to knit a large afghan and see how far I would get. It became too big to fly with but I am taking it on the next cruise. It may take me a few more cruises to finish it unless I get the inkling to work on it at home.

I've been thinking about stencils. But haven't perfected the sunblock spray to stencil sleeping lobsters on Lido.

Archived