can you open balcony dividers?

taymiss2

I was just told by the travel agent I was talking to that if we book a few balcony's in a row can remove the dividers and have one big balcony.

I think I remember reading reports from people who said when they got on ship this really was not true.

Maybe true for some ships but not all?

The ship I am talking about is the Spirit.

Thank You.

Sorry did a forum search after I posted the question. Duh, it sounds like, as I suspected, the TA is wrong. We will not be able to open up the dividers.

@taymiss2 -

No, you cannot open the dividers, but the room attendant can - if he/she has a mind to.

If asked nicely, and if everyone agrees, there should be no problem.

Take a look at the two pictures below. These are aft balconies.

1476042261_GemPartitionclsd-s.jpg.b44412c2bb54d682dff5c3f1636ae487.jpg

213091243_GemPartitionopn-s.jpg.15c743fb92b0ab3c70763b361843b780.jpg

We sailed on the Pearl in January. When we booked adjoining balcony rooms through NCL, the agent said there would be no problem have the divider opened if we asked our room steward. We did just that and he told us we had to ask at the front desk. Well, that did not go over too well--we were told they are NEVER opened for fire security reasons. He was kind of ticked off that we even asked about it. We were disappointed but survived just fine and loved having balconies.

We just got off the Pearl on Sunday and had 4 adjoining balcony rooms and we were not able to have them opened. We were told that they are no longer able to be opened because of an issue with someone smoking and a cigarette butt going on someone else's balcony. When we booked our cruise back in August our PCC had informed us that the room steward would be able to open them for us, however since then the policy has changed.

Same here - just got off the Pearl and we were not able to open our balcony doors. We asked at front desk twice - they acted as if they NEVER heard of the doors being opened. One customer service rep mentioned something being posted on the webpage - haven't checked ncl yet, but will to see what is there.

FYI - last June, we did have the balcony divider opened on the Epic TA.

I was just told by the travel agent I was talking to that if we book a few balcony's in a row can remove the dividers and have one big balcony.

I think I remember reading reports from people who said when they got on ship this really was not true.

Thank You.

Sorry did a forum search after I posted the question. Duh, it sounds like, as I suspected, the TA is wrong. We will not be able to open up the dividers.

Not for anything, but...

When you hire (ie pay) a TA, what you are paying for is basically their knowledge and information.

If your TA is giving you incorrect information OR if you somehow don't trust the TA to the point where you feel the need to verify their information by asking strangers on an Internet message board the same question(s) that you are paying the TA for...then perhaps it might be a wise idea to seek a new TA.

After all...what is it that you are paying for?

We sailed the Gem out of NYC to Port Canaveral, GSC, and Nassau. Our steward would not open the balcony divider until we reached port at Port Canaveral.

It stayed open (propped by a balcony chair) through the 3 days at PC, GSC, and Nassau. We found the balcony divider closed after turn down service the night we left Nassau.

just got off Gem yesturday and our connecting balconies were opened when we boarded. We never even had to ask. : ) They were opened the whole time...start to finish. btw, we had a great cruise! Sinan, was the CD and was OUTSTANDING!!!

just got off Gem yesturday and our connecting balconies were opened when we boarded. We never even had to ask. : ) They were opened the whole time...start to finish. btw, we had a great cruise! Sinan, was the CD and was OUTSTANDING!!!

AWESOME !!!!! Will be on her on April 2nd. Glad you had a great cruise! What was the weather at GSC ??

Thanks,

Thank You.

Just off the Star on 3/13/11. Our cabin steward told us they could open the dividers only in port and they would need to be closed when sailing. We asked our our first port day to have it opened and they never got around to it. We had an adjoining stateroom with my in-laws so we could at least go back and forth to each balcony. We put 4 chairs on their balcony to hang out together. Really tight fit for 4 adults and a 12 yr to hang out there. We never pressed the issue about opening the rest of the port days.

I have threee Aft balcony cabins this Saturday on EPIC - how did u open them up yourself?

Each door has a simple "key" mechanism that you can open with some persistence, or if you bring any kind of tool with you. My brother opened the first one with a stack of wooden coffee stirrers that were in the room. My father opened the second one with the butt end of a small pair of pliers. I would think a tapered, flat screwdriver would be ideal. Here's what you're attacking:

Here you see we opened access to three balconies even before we left Miami

249-vi.jpg

Here is the "lock". It's probably somewhere around 1/4 to 3/8 inch inside.

291-vi.jpg

Does anyone know if these can be opened on NCL Spirit? We booked directly through NCL and travelling with a family of 7 we have 2 balconies and 1 inside stateroom....we wanted connecting balconies but could not get them so the rep from NCL suggested we take these 2 balcony rooms and just have the staff open the divider....thats why we booked the rooms we did.....makes a big difference if we can not open the dividers :(

Hey Bngood! I am wondering the same thing. My group of 4 booked adjoining balcony rooms on our July Spirit cruise so that we could open up the balcony divider:). We will be very upset if these can't be opened because at booking we were told that they could. Have a great cruise!!

Archived