Southwest Credit Card Deal Timeline

nostalgiaguru

For those of you who have done the SW credit card in the past and received free tickets, how long after your first purchase did it take for the tickets to be posted to your account? I'm getting a little antsy as we are traveling soon and I'm afraid all the seats will be gone.

I tried calling several SW credit card/rapid rewards/flight phone numbers, and they've all told me they will transfer me to someone who can help, but the person they transfer me to never knows how to help. Is there a good number to call to try and hurry up this process?

I think there are several different cards you could have; for most of them it appears you get 20,000 points posted to your account after your first purchase.

Can you go online and look at your account activity to see if this has been posted?

nothing yet, mine was for 2 free tickets, made my qualifying purchase on 2/18/2011

Here's what I did with my Spirit Airlines credit card:

It might depend on your billing cycle closing after that initial purchase. I called and asked that the billing cycle be change to the next business day (said it was easier to budget payments, etc.). Then, as soon as that cycle closed I got the points credited within a day or two.

I've used a Southwest Visa for years for free flights. Chase bank sends that info over the same day your cycle ends, and SW credits you immediately. I've seen my free awards before I could even look at my credit card statement online!

Here's what I did with my Spirit Airlines credit card:

It might depend on your billing cycle closing after that initial purchase. I called and asked that the billing cycle be change to the next business day (said it was easier to budget payments, etc.). Then, as soon as that cycle closed I got the points credited within a day or two.

I've used a Southwest Visa for years for free flights. Chase bank sends that info over the same day your cycle ends, and SW credits you immediately. I've seen my free awards before I could even look at my credit card statement online!

Looks like my cycle ended on 3/9/11, but I haven't seen the rewards yet. Not even sure I'm looking in the right place on SW Rapid Rewards page, it's a bit confusing since they went to a new format on 3/1/11.

Looks like my cycle ended on 3/9/11, but I haven't seen the rewards yet. Not even sure I'm looking in the right place on SW Rapid Rewards page, it's a bit confusing since they went to a new format on 3/1/11.

It depends on whether they are posting credits or points. They will post credits if you had credits before the 3/1/11 cutover, working toward a free roundtrip (like me).

However, if this is a new card, then my guess is you are being awarded enough points for the roundtrip air. Today is the 11th, so you should see those points when you log in to your RR account online.

Off to the right is a link that says "where are my credits", or something like that. If you follow that link it will take you to the accounting for the credits.

If it works like my SW card, then you should see the points/credits today or tomorrow.

Dang, still no free flights posted as of 3/14/2011. I received the card 2/18/11, made my first purchase that afternoon, they charged me the $59 annual fee on 3/8/2011, and the month closed on 3/9/11. My bill shows both charges.

Should I be concerned, or will it take until after 4/9/11?

Dang, still no free flights posted as of 3/14/2011. I received the card 2/18/11, made my first purchase that afternoon, they charged me the $59 annual fee on 3/8/2011, and the month closed on 3/9/11. My bill shows both charges.

Should I be concerned, or will it take until after 4/9/11?

Have you seen the bill online yet? Once the bill is produced, then that means the info has been sent from Chase over to SW. If you can see the pdf statement on Chase's web site, and you see your credits showing, then call SW and ask how long it takes to credit them to your account. It might be because of the the change in their program 3/1.

Again, once the bill is generated that triggers all the computers to talk to each other.

Have you seen the bill online yet? Once the bill is produced, then that means the info has been sent from Chase over to SW. If you can see the pdf statement on Chase's web site, and you see your credits showing, then call SW and ask how long it takes to credit them to your account. It might be because of the the change in their program 3/1.

Again, once the bill is generated that triggers all the computers to talk to each other.

Just talked to them. Looks like the credit won't be issued until the 4/9/11 close date. I asked them about moving the closing date, and while they could do that, it would take up to 30 days to make the change, which would be worse at this point.

April 9 is still 2 months prior to flying from Louisville to Seattle. From what I've seen, flights should still be available, especially given the new Rapid rewards plan.

Do you agree?

Just talked to them. Looks like the credit won't be issued until the 4/9/11 close date. I asked them about moving the closing date, and while they could do that, it would take up to 30 days to make the change, which would be worse at this point.

April 9 is still 2 months prior to flying from Louisville to Seattle. From what I've seen, flights should still be available, especially given the new Rapid rewards plan.

Do you agree?

Yes. I think since you will now have a choice of any seat, as long as you have the points to "pay" for the $$ to points conversion, you'll be fine.

So, they are not giving out the promo points until after 2 billing cycles, huh? Be sure to charge something on the card in this bill cycle just to make sure you keep up your end of the "deal". Is there a dollar amount you have to spend, or is it just charge something?

Yes. I think since you will now have a choice of any seat, as long as you have the points to "pay" for the $$ to points conversion, you'll be fine.

So, they are not giving out the promo points until after 2 billing cycles, huh? Be sure to charge something on the card in this bill cycle just to make sure you keep up your end of the "deal". Is there a dollar amount you have to spend, or is it just charge something?

It was two free round trip tickets, once I made one purchase of any amount. I bought a soda. I read one lady's post on the SW Facebook page who said she bought only a pack of gum a few months back when she did the deal.

Strange, my month closed on 3/9/11, I called on 3/14/11 and was told the rewards would not post until after the 4/9/11 closing date. Then, today, 3/16/11, I get an email informing me that the rewards are now posted to my account.

Go figure.

Strange, my month closed on 3/9/11, I called on 3/14/11 and was told the rewards would not post until after the 4/9/11 closing date. Then, today, 3/16/11, I get an email informing me that the rewards are now posted to my account.

Go figure.

Yaaaay! You oiled that squeaky wheel at just the right time! They must have gone out and seen that you had met all the requirements and manually adjusted the rewards since you called and asked.

It was two free round trip tickets, once I made one purchase of any amount. I bought a soda. I read one lady's post on the SW Facebook page who said she bought only a pack of gum a few months back when she did the deal.

Still trying to figure this out too. Got the Chase card $59. The promo said 2 free round trip tickets. No mention of points or miles. Use the card as soon as it was received (March 12th). Now what is supposed to happen?

Still trying to figure this out too. Got the Chase card $59. The promo said 2 free round trip tickets. No mention of points or miles. Use the card as soon as it was received (March 12th). Now what is supposed to happen?

When were you approved? I got mine prior to 3/1/11, and got the free tickets, but I think it changed after that date.

When were you approved? I got mine prior to 3/1/11, and got the free tickets, but I think it changed after that date.

Applied prior to the 3/1/11 date. Promotion clearly said two free round trip tickets. Didn't receive and use the card till after the 3/1/11 date.

Did you receive vouchers for actual flights? in the mail? or points to be exchanged for tickets? Thanks.

Applied prior to the 3/1/11 date. Promotion clearly said two free round trip tickets. Didn't receive and use the card till after the 3/1/11 date.

Did you receive vouchers for actual flights? in the mail? or points to be exchanged for tickets? Thanks.

It showed up as 4 rewards (not points), in my rapid rewards account.

• 1 month later...

HI, just a little follow-up on an old thread. Finally got my 2 free round trip tickets (vouchers) on Southwest through the Chase credit card offer. I would never have known about this if it weren't for CC so a big thanks to all of you who posted info about this deal. This was not the original thread but I can't find it.

It got really complicated because I applied on-line and got accepted 1 day prior to the big changes in their FF program but I was never assigned an account number.

I'm not sure if we will save the vouchers and book our March cruise with them or if we will do a trip to Florida in August when I have some time off. So nice to have choices.

Again, thanks to all the CC members who share all the cost cutting deals so we all can benefit.

Archived