Royal Caribbean -New Alcoholic Beverage Packages

Elizanessie

An absolutely dreadful idea. If they lose money on it then we who do not drink at all or very little will be subsidizing the heavy drinkers. How many more drunken, sick, obnoxious cruisers will this bring on for us. I will not take part in it and will not cruise any ship that has this horrid feature.

We are booked on the Celebrity Mellenium leaving April 8th 2011 for 10 days. I'm considering the drink package but my wife doesn't drink and we enjoy spending time on our balcony so I gather I'm not sure how that would work? I believe you are only allowed one drink at a time and room service is not included, trying to figure out the logistics.

We were on Celebrity Summit last week. Had a group of 14 couples and many of us got drink packages. All in all it was a good value and the nice thing was you didn't have to keep track of your expenses which for some can be significant. I got the classic package, no beer & wine package offered, but the classic was more than adequate.

Someone commented about people drinking too much. I actually did not witness that on our cruise. People were responsible.

I thought is was a great value and would purchase it again.

Our experience with the Jewel of the Seas last year was so bad, it would not matter how much free drinks they would give us, we would never cruise with them again. Perhaps it would be better if they improved their food and get rid of code red....!

A & E

If it were OK to SHARE the Card with a spouse, it would be a great way to ENJOY a few drinks....but as a PP cost per cabin, it would NOT be worth it for MODERATE drinkers! Also, it would only work if we were able to buy it on an individual day basis as...days in PORT would NOT make it worth while!

Is it correct understood that this new alcoholic beverage packages is only for non US residents? If so, why aren’t we mature enough to take care of ourselves? – What about all the baloney talk “the only free country in the world. Somebody, please explain, thanks

From what I've read thus far, many of you have concluded that this program was to increase cruise sailing revenue. Though this may be the case it certainly varies based on passenger preference and alcohol consumption. An average drinker myself, and a bit more indulgent when I'm on vacation, it saves me hundreds of dollars. On the l sat several cruises prior to the drink package amenity, my Sail & Sign account totaled around $1,600.00 for a 7 nt cruise. This also included incidentals at the ship's shops and photos, etc. Now, it has been reduced under $900.00. I'm a beer drinker by day and wine drinker by night, so I'm a huge advocate of the different beverage packages...and like I stated earlier...this is also a sign of the times based on passenger demand in order to be competitive with land based all-inclusive packages as well.

JCRUISE

Is it correct understood that this new alcoholic beverage packages is only for non US residents? If so, why aren’t we mature enough to take care of ourselves? – What about all the baloney talk “the only free country in the world. Somebody, please explain, thanks

Not at all...its for any passenger that sails on any cruise line offering the package. These beverage packages can be purchased on the cruise line web site once cruise is paid in full or, you can purchase the package after boarding.

Not at all...its for any passenger that sails on any cruise line offering the package. These beverage packages can be purchased on the cruise line web site once cruise is paid in full or, you can purchase the package after boarding.

At this time you cannot purchase these RCCL beverage packages before you board the ship.

It has to be for total days of the sailing.

Yes your mixer will be included.

According to "InsideCabin" on page one you can start it any time after you board. If that is the case it might pay to take a run at this. It would be particularly attractive if you had two "Sea Days" back to back and nothing to do but lay around the pool.

Al

We recently had the drinks package on a Celebrity cruise - best thing we ever did.

We knew before we started what our drinks bill would be so did not have to be careful unlike others we meet on the ship who were too scared to drink much because of the potential for BILL SHOCK at the end of the cruise.

I know that a few people on the ship regretted not getting the package.

We had no problems getting drinks but we never did get to drunk.

When we got our statement at the end of the cruise, we were on the winning side - and our livers are now recovering since getting home.

Stevesub

According to "InsideCabin" on page one you can start it any time after you board. If that is the case it might pay to take a run at this. It would be particularly attractive if you had two "Sea Days" back to back and nothing to do but lay around the pool.

Al

What I said was celebrity allow part cruise purchase.

This is looking lke a watered down package(no soft drinks/coffees) so is a carefully sculptured marketing to attract Thomson cruisers that only go AI.

BRING IT TO THE U.S. SHIPS!!

Not quite sure why RCL has to "try it out" overseas. They are "sister" ships with Celebrity and it works fantastic!!

I have tried every cruise line and will only go on Celebrity from here on out until others catch on to the all you can drink package.

It works!!! The cruise line still makes a ton of money! And us "drinkers" are much happier because there isn't the "unknown" of what our bill will be at the end of the cruise!

It's a fantastic "Win/Win" for everyone!

Still seems a bit high, but this is trial time so the price may shift around a bit. I usually get the soda package (our whole table had a Sprite addiction last trip) and certainly get the money's worth out of it.

These booze packages are a good step, but I'd be behind the value with the way I drink. I would like a package that equalled about 4 drinks a day on the average. These prices are closer to 6 per which is a bit much for my budget and my brain.

Call me a lightweight lol. I don't mind!

I recently enjoyed the Classic Drink package on a Celebrity Cruise. Best thing ever as their pkg included soft drinks, waters, (Perrier, Vitamin water etc) specialty coffees (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), Freshly squeezed Orange juice, fancy teas, as well as the beer, wine and alcohol.

It did not take long to get my money's worth! OJ in the morning, a couple of beers around the pool, enjoying different wines in the wine bar before dinner, glass of wine or 2 at dinner, cappuccino or espresso after dinner, cocktail in the show and a lovely ginger tea at bedtime! Throw in a couple of Perriers or sodas in there as well.

It was just so nice to not have to think about treating yourself and even if you break even the convenience is wonderful!

I traveled with 7 others and we all had the package and everyone agreed it was well worth it. I am thrilled RCI has decided to start piloting it on a few ships!

Anyone who has ever been to an "Open Bar" knows that most people "get their money's worth"--YES, it'll cause excessive drinking.

I agree that a "Coke Card" setup where you buy a card for a fixed number of drinks is a better idea(and make the damn thing transferable to your next cruise if you don't use it all).

BRING IT TO THE U.S. SHIPS!!

Not quite sure why RCL has to "try it out" overseas. They are "sister" ships with Celebrity and it works fantastic!!

I have tried every cruise line and will only go on Celebrity from here on out until others catch on to the all you can drink package.

It works!!! The cruise line still makes a ton of money! And us "drinkers" are much happier because there isn't the "unknown" of what our bill will be at the end of the cruise!

It's a fantastic "Win/Win" for everyone!

It makes a change for RCI try something first outside the USA.

I think they are trialling it out on the Ex- UK ships first because the Brits have a reputation on enjoying a drink or two. If the packages work well then they will open it up to the rest of the fleet.

It really depends on how they set it up. I don't drink at all. My husband drinks some and I figured it out and it would be beneficial for him to even get the $49.00 package, not for beer or wine but for the alcohol package. He mainly drinks good vodka so it would be nice for him. Also, when we cruise we sometimes take guests and they don't drink either, so as long as it could be for one person we would do it for him.

For the average drinker, it seems a little pricey. it may appeal to younger - or even older - party people but I'm not sure I would want to be on that ship.

If the ships really wanted to make an appreciative offer and increase profits in the beverage dept I would suggest they lower the prices on individual drinks. Because on board, our "home" is only a few steps away and we are on vacation we tend to enjoy a cocktail before lunch as well as dinner, or have one by the pool but at six or seven dollars each, we're not so quick to do so

My husband and I each got a drink package when on the Celebrity Equinox last Thanksgiving. I got the premium non-alcohol package which included all the non-alcoholic drinks, specialty coffees, smoothies, fresh squeezed oj, sodas, flavored or regular bottled water. My husband got the premium alcohol package. The neat thing about his was going to the martini bar and the molecular bar. The molecular bar makes drinks using all kinds of different things like rose petals, infused items, liquid nitrogen. Just watching the bartender make these drinks was a treat. My husband did drink more than he does at home (which is next to nothing), but never even got slightly drunk. He too took advantage of the bottled water at dinner, coffees, oj, etc. While we probably would not do the premium alcohol package every cruise, I would definitely do the prem. N/A one again. It was a treat to get drinks and not worry about them adding up. For some reason the mentality was different since it was already paid for. Between their beautifull ships, great entertainment, drink packages and their strict smoking policy, Celebrity will most likely be our line of choice when cruising without the kids, but to each his own!!

While I certainly enjoy having a drink or 2, and appreciate the the multi-bottle dinner wine packages that many lines offer, the idea of encouraging more people to be walking about the ship in a drunken state because the line wants to squeeze out that last dollar and last bit of judgment from them certainly doesn't thrill me. Unlike an all inclusive resort, a ship is a much more confined space and has much more mutual interactive space. Watching security deal with drunken passengers has never been an enjoyable experience. The drama of the moment appeals to few but it seems that the financial considerations outweigh the logic of this decision. Will this result in more young adults falling overboard? Will we have higher ship rails around the deck? More security people on the ship? and why??????

Allan

We sailed with a group last year and the trip included all drinks. Our sea pass cards had a special sticker that alerted the bartenters and waiters. We paid more up front for the cruise, but it worked great both onboard and on the private island. It is not hard on vacation to drink that amount and it prevents the shock of a large bill at the end of the cruise. We would do it again.

I do not remember the year, but they did have a drink package a number of years ago. You recieved a card and they would punch the card after you got your drink. It could be beer, wine, mixed drink. I thought it was between 35 and 40 dollars. I think you could get 10 drinks. I also think premium liquors were not part of the package..

Your absolutely right!!! I loved those cards and I also think they were $40. You could buy them at any bar so when we finished one card we bought another one.....they were great and you didn't have to sign everytime you bought a drink and carry around those stupid little papers. You only got a receipt when you bought the card.

The drink package would not be good for us........we're not big drinkers. A few in the evening and that's it.......can't drink in the sun anymore, maybe a beer during the day but no hard stuff during the day. We'll just continue to pay for our drinks. I agree with one of the other posters a few pages back that said I'd be afraid that I'd drink much more than I want just to get my money's worth!

I sure wish they'd offer those drink cards again for those of us that aren't big drinkers.

Archived