Review: Paradise Feb 28 - Mar 4, 2011 - Long Beach, Catalina Island, Ensenada

I think the Fantasy class ships do the Serenity so much better than the Conquest Class. I love that beautiful inlay of woodwork, having two hot tubs right there and 2 rows of loungers (the second row was in the shade on our Inspiration cruise, which was perfect for me). Did they have the piped in soothing, almost classical music? Such a departure from our last sailing on the Glory where they added the Serenity deck in a part of the ship where you heard all of the noise from the main part of the Lido Deck (men's hairy chest contests, etc). It was anything but serene! The hot tubs were around the corner in another area and not easy to get to at all (hey, I want a minimal amount of walking between my deck chair and hot tub!!). I absolutely love the Serenity areas on the Fantasy class ships!!!

We're going to be on the Freedom in November. According to the deck plans, their Serenity area is forward - far away from the Lido action. It appears the area is also two decks high and there are hammocks and clamshells. I may never leave! I don't remember the music from this trip. I only remember the chattering of my teeth because it was so cold. :p

~ Sheryl

Thank you for the great review! I love the ones with pictures. We just got back from a 14 day to Hawaii with Princess and are having the post cruise sadness of not being on a cruise right now. I have been going thru the site reading reviews for fun and had not really considered doing one of the "smaller" cruises, but your review makes it seem like a nice little cruise. Maybe as a holdover until we impulsivley decide to do another extensive cruise (Long Beach is just a short little drive for us lucky ducks, but I agree that it is not set up very well :(). And I LOVE Catalina!

Anyways, your pictures were great, your review was entertaining, and you guys are soooo cute!

Oooooo.... I can't wait for the day I can get away long enough for a 14 day to Hawaii. ~ dreamy sigh ~ Did you post a review? Would love to see your photos.

If Long Beach was a short little drive for me, I wouldn't hesitate to take another short cruise. The five hour flight is a time-drain for us.

Thank you for your nice comments about the photos and review. We had a great time. :)

~ Sheryl

I took this cruise June 8, 2009 and i simply loved it..I love people who love it..you did some great things I did not do and look forward to doing..you have a great synopsis of the cruise and so many extra things shared and places...thank you sooooo much..I have friends here who love Socal and lucky friends who live there LOL..yes compared to places like where we are OP..no complaints on chilly and not COLD..LOL..we are still getting our sometimes April snows.

the dolphins and winery would definitely be top things i'd love to do..i was helping some folks and had less freedom..but still a wonderful time on that cruise..i can honestly say it saved me.

I have a credit to use on Carnival...it might be good to see what i can do with that 200 bucks or so..last minute on this one can be special deal..thanks so much..Sarah.

Hi, Sarah:

Thank you for the kind words. :) I've managed to post a review for two of our three cruises. After the first one I was too overwhelmed with post cruise depresssion... lol Keep your eyes open and I bet you can score your cruise for the amount of your Carnival credit. We did an informal poll at our MDR table. We were PT, OV & Inside rooms. No one paid over $200. Talk about a great cruise value!

~ Sheryl

I don't know if it was the port or just the We're On Cruise vibe but we had some of the best margaritas this trip. :D

HAHAHA of course the margaritas would, we were in the town were they were originally created & they better be good smooth & strong! Out of all my trips into mexico & around the world nobody beats the margaritas from ENSENADA! & being on the cruise vibe always is a good thing! Is it time for another cruise yet? Im getting land sickness:D:p:eek::cool:

LOVE your review! Glad I came across it today!

My husband and I will also be sailing in a porthole, but on the Imagination. We have also been in interiors and balconies, so I'm curious to check this out.

My kids are younger than yours (11 and 5) but they won't be joining us on this cruise. Can't wait to enjoy the Serenity area. Loved all your pictures.

We were all on the Dream in Feb. Your screen name seems very familiar to me...you weren't on our roll call, were you?

Thanks again for a great review!

Sheryl, I found your review when I did a search for port hole cabins. I'll be on the Fantasy in about a month in a PT cabin and have been wondering about the space. I've mostly traveled with family and had balconies - and one Owner's Suite on a NCL ship as a last minute upsale so this is a new venture for me.

Since I'll be going alone it sounds like I'll have plenty of space. But I do have a question. You talked about difficulty getting to the port holes to see outside. Would it help if I asked for the beds to be separate?

Oh, and thank you for great review and pictures.

Beth

LOVE your review! Glad I came across it today!

My husband and I will also be sailing in a porthole, but on the Imagination. We have also been in interiors and balconies, so I'm curious to check this out.

My kids are younger than yours (11 and 5) but they won't be joining us on this cruise. Can't wait to enjoy the Serenity area. Loved all your pictures.

We were all on the Dream in Feb. Your screen name seems very familiar to me...you weren't on our roll call, were you?

Thanks again for a great review!

So glad you enjoyed the review :) I checked your list of cruises and we haven't sailed anywhere together (but I would have gladly went on several of your trips!). I've been on the roll call for all of our cruises and generally help out where I can with questions. Maybe you saw one of my posts there?

~ Sheryl

That's probably where I have seen you! I tend to be on CC a lot, especially when I have a future cruise booked! I want to read anything and everything I can find about it!!

Just saw a price drop for our cruise of $60...we are ES....but it would mean I have to give up the porthole. It was a pack and go guarantee. Decided not to, because I really want to see what the porthole is like! Thanks again for your great review and pictures!

Sheryl, I found your review when I did a search for port hole cabins. I'll be on the Fantasy in about a month in a PT cabin and have been wondering about the space. I've mostly traveled with family and had balconies - and one Owner's Suite on a NCL ship as a last minute upsale so this is a new venture for me.

Since I'll be going alone it sounds like I'll have plenty of space. But I do have a question. You talked about difficulty getting to the port holes to see outside. Would it help if I asked for the beds to be separate?

Oh, and thank you for great review and pictures.

Beth

Hi, Beth:

In our room, the end of the bed overlapped the foot locker by about 18". Lisa (fellow poster on this thread) told me I could have moved the bed. DUH... wish I'd thought of that or found Lisa's thread before we left!... lol I think we maybe had another 6 - 12" to slide it away from the window so I don't know if we would have had enough room to clear the end of the bed. She posted pictures (first few pages of this thread) showing her kids in their PT. The beds are apart and both have the foot of the bed up against the foot locker. It looks like one of the beds goes directly under the window in that scenario. If you don't mind having two smaller beds, I'd let your room steward know what you're looking for (being able to access the window without gymnastics). I'm guessing they've handled that request more than once. :)

~ Sheryl

P.S. Love your CC name. I visited Scotland a few years back. Spent a fortnight in/around Edinburgh on the Firth of Forth. Magical part of the world. Loved it!

Hi, Sarah:

Thank you for the kind words. :) I've managed to post a review for two of our three cruises. After the first one I was too overwhelmed with post cruise depresssion... lol Keep your eyes open and I bet you can score your cruise for the amount of your Carnival credit. We did an informal poll at our MDR table. We were PT, OV & Inside rooms. No one paid over $200. Talk about a great cruise value!

~ Sheryl

Just delighted to hear back from you and beleive me..your review and zeal for just everything really made me not feel bad at all about a "repeat"..even though i do want to spead my wings...I really liked one spa treatment i had too..FYI..20 minutes of 3 things on sale at end of cruise..mini facial, mini massage, mini reflexology..or something like that..but it was so good i was able to get one more massage early am last day at a pretty good rate...next time i will be 100% able to spoil me so I shall..LOL.

I remember some folks mentioning good places in Mexico ports for a massage which i just love on vacation..no not know about there...

Oh your dolpnin excursion sounds fantastic..i love them....thanks again...Sarah

Oooooo.... I can't wait for the day I can get away long enough for a 14 day to Hawaii. ~ dreamy sigh ~ Did you post a review? Would love to see your photos.

If Long Beach was a short little drive for me, I wouldn't hesitate to take another short cruise. The five hour flight is a time-drain for us.

Thank you for your nice comments about the photos and review. We had a great time. :)

~ Sheryl

It really was dreamy... I never thought I would be on a 14 day cruise either (it was surprisingly affordable)! But I am not working right now, we don't have kids yet, and husband has TONS of time off (lucky him). So we were fortunate enough to be able to do it. But the side effect is that now we want more and more! Like a 30 day cruise! Cruising is like a drug!! But, that kind of cruise will have to wait until we retire in 30+ years! Dang it.

Here is a link to my review if you are interested- I post lots of food pictures... I am a bit of a food addict... But there are other pictures as well! Glad you had a great time! - Melanie

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1389679

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the great review and pictures. Glad that you had and took the time to see some of my home state of California. Love San Diego. And the trip along the coast to Santa Barbara is so beautiful. We finally visited the Mission there several years ago on a "museum tour" via motorcycle. Back to the cruise, my daughter and I leave tomorrow (May 6) on the three day weekend cruise. We were particularly interested in your day in Ensenada. Think we will try out El Corralito for margaritas and tacos. Lucky Sylvia to have found the two of you. Hope you are starting to get some spring weather in Michigan!

Archived