Internet Reliability on Solstice or Eclipse in the Caribbean

hovank

I am an Elite member with free internet onboard. I am looking at a 7-day Caribbean cruise on Solstice or Eclipse. Does anyone know if the internet is reliable as it is IMPERATIVE that I am able to access it everyday for about 8 hours a day. Thank you all so much!

I was on the Eclipse a few weeks ago and while slow at most times, the Internet was available when ever I wanted it. On some past cruises though, there have been times when the Satellite link was out.

As for you using it, I assume you don't mean you plan to stay on line for 8 hours a day. The cost would be staggering.

As an Elite member, you are given only 90 minutes of free access for the entire cruise. This can be combined with another free 90 minutes that is associated with your spouse/partner/significant other that occupies the same cabin. After that you will be charges a per-minute rate for any additional time. The cost per-minute can be up to 65 cents per minute.

I think the lowest cost is something like 50 cents a minute or a little less with the discount you get for buying large blocks of time in advance. Even at 40 cents a minute 8 hours would be $200 a day. On our Eclipse cruise we were able to get on whenever we tried (used up our 90 free minuites mostly on our iPhone). But the service is very very slow. Think of the speed of your old dial-up modem you had before DSL or Cable - that is about the fastest speed you'll get and you be happy in comparison to when it's really slow.

On past cruises service is spotty. It is dependant on the quality satellite signal connection and can be inconsistent.

If your career depends on your having decent access for 8 hours a day then a cruise is probably a very bad idea. If you just need to catch on on a few emails at one time or another then you should be OK.

Regarding ships e-mail system. The world is round & the Satellite they use was launched from Miami .Thus ,the further away the ship gets from Miami the slower the connection. Sometimes it was like watching grass grow.

The bottom line here is that for internet to be successful on any cruise ship the technology has to be vastly improved .The airlines will have far superior connectivity than any cruise ship .It is just that the airlines are willing to invest the money to bring a better service on board .

Like the OP said if you need the internet for 8 hours a cruise is a really bad choice.

Good luck

This can be combined with another free 90 minutes that is associated with your spouse/partner/significant other that occupies the same cabin.

If your spouse/partner/significant other has achieved Elite status in his/her own right...

Non-Elite guests sharing a cabin with an Elite guest are invited to the Elite activities including Continental Breakfast, Afternoon Cocktails, and certain events... But they do not receive Elite coupons for things like internet access and laundry...

Archived