Almost Expired Passport Question

llarosa

My two daughter's passports expire in less than six months from our cruising date. They are minors (12, 14) so I'm not necessarily inclined to get them updated before we sail (and I've waited too long to do so at this point in time). So my question is this - Will I need to bring along the raised seal birth certificates or will the 'not yet expired' passports (with less than six months to go) suffice?

If you are sailing the Caribbean, Mexico or Alaska - I would bring the birth certificates along with you. I doubt it will be an issue but if there is, you will be covered.

I have a passport and still bring my birth certificate with me incase my purse and passport get stolen.

You will have to use the certified copy of the birth certificate if you don't want to use the passport. The passport should be fine as long as it is not expired. If it will expire during the trip, you can request that the passport be extended for a specifc amount of time. The US Department of State (http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html) has the forms on-line that need to be filled out if you want an extension. You would need to send them the travel plans as proof for the extension. The best part, it that it is free.

The cruise lines and most countries do not want you to use a passport that is going to expire in 6 months incase something happens when you are out of the country and unable to re-enter the US right away. Bring the birth certificates with you.

The Passport offoce can also expidite any new or renewing passport, especially if you are set to leave. My wife received a new one, even with Canadian birth and an odd, outdated naturalization form, in less than 7 days. We didn't even beg. There was no cost for expiditing it.

We just renewed our passports with a private passport company, americanpassport.com. We requested they be expedited (for a fee) and we received them within 2 weeks after they received our old passports and new passport photos.

If you have the birth certificates I think you should bring them too. Why take chances?

Even an expired passport can usually be used as proof of US citizenship, which is all you need for a Caribbean cruise. But why risk having to argue with an agent who may think there's a problem with a passport that will expire in less than six months? Good luck. Tom.

I just took my kids in today (14 & 16) because the price to renew goes up significantly tomorrow. Under 16 they have to go with. Mine expire in June we are leaving in Oct. We have less hassles with passports especially since I travel without their dad. We have never had a problem leaving the country but coming back we have had delays & hassles without them. You know leaving is optional but returning is mandatory!!

I have found that cruises are more lienient. Good luck.

p.s. We usually get our passports back within a month of processing. :)

On our last cruise my daughters passports were within 3 months of expiring. I brought along the birth certificates just in case. During the course of the trip we went through US Immigration twice and Canadian Immigration once without a problem.

If you have time I'd get them renewed if not just bring the birth certificates also.

Scott

Some countries have a 6-month rule, French Polynesia (Tahiti) for example is one of them. If a country doesn't require a passport for entry, it is unlikely they'd make a fuss over the expiration date if you chose to use, as long as it is still valid. I can't remember ever having to show any ID to enter a country during a cruise, except of course St. Thomas and when disembarking. I don't think the US authorities will have a problem with a still-valid passport with less than 6 months remaining. To be sure, you can easily research that either on the internet or with a phone call.

Archived