Epic Eastern Caribbean--port or starboard?

Sea Monster 2

OK, we had SUCH a great time on the Epic last week that we are contemplating taking advantage of the special right now and booking for next year. Those in the know, should we be looking at port or starboard cabins for the best views of the islands?

My review is submitted and awaiting approval from the powers-that-be, so I will post the link here when it's up!!

• 10 months later...

Hi Sea Monster 2! I'm sorry, I've been trying to figure out how to contact you on here, but to no avail ... and so here I am writing to you on this thread. Sorry!! I am wondering if you are the same commenter I saw elsewhere, who has stayed in Suite 17004 on NCL Epic? I have seen in other's photos, there is a ladder that is in the middle of the balcony ... I am concerned how this obstructs the view. Also, if you can tell me if you felt a lot of "shifting" from being in the front of the ship? This will be my first cruise and my son and I get motion sickness... so I'm concerned. Our other option is Suite 17033 at the back of the ship, but my concern there is that it may be too close to the slides and other entertainment, as well as the elevator shafts, and may be too noisy. This Suite 17033 seems to have ladder issues as well, but not as obtrusive as in 17004. I just don't know what to do. ??? ANY guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!! Many thanks! Kim

Hi Sea Monster 2! I'm sorry, I've been trying to figure out how to contact you on here, but to no avail ... and so here I am writing to you on this thread. Sorry!! I am wondering if you are the same commenter I saw elsewhere, who has stayed in Suite 17004 on NCL Epic? I have seen in other's photos, there is a ladder that is in the middle of the balcony ... I am concerned how this obstructs the view. Also, if you can tell me if you felt a lot of "shifting" from being in the front of the ship? This will be my first cruise and my son and I get motion sickness... so I'm concerned. Our other option is Suite 17033 at the back of the ship, but my concern there is that it may be too close to the slides and other entertainment, as well as the elevator shafts, and may be too noisy. This Suite 17033 seems to have ladder issues as well, but not as obtrusive as in 17004. I just don't know what to do. ??? ANY guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!! Many thanks! Kim

Hi Kim, lucky for you I'm a CC junkie!! :p Yes, we stayed in 17004 and will be back in it in three weeks and CAN'T WAIT!!! The ladder you saw on the photo is not parked outside of that cabin, but rather down below-- apparently it is occasionally used in port to clean the windows, but it was never used (or at least we didn't see it) when we were on the ship last year. There are NO obstructions to the views from this cabin, and they are simply amazing. When my DS asked me what I am most looking forward to when we are on Epic again, I actually said "The balcony." Seriously, it is fantastic-- large, well-furnished, perfect. In the mornings DS and I would make cappuccinos (with 90% chocolate milk for him:rolleyes:) and go sit in the loungers on the balcony as we cruised into port. Even in the bathroom the views are a distraction-- you have to give extra time to get ready to go anywhere, because you will occasionally be mesmerized by it all.... It is just an extraordinary cabin.

That said, I didn't get to see the other DOSes, so I don't know how they compare. I think I remember reading that the soundproofing is good inside those back cabins, but that it's hard to relax on the balconies because you are right there with the action on deck... although some people prefer that!

There is a fair amount of motion in 17004-- you're at the very front and very top of a tall ship, and we did feel it, particularly the first couple of nights while we were getting used to the motion-- not so much during the day. We were armed with anti-nausea meds, but never resorted to taking anything. I didn't notice it elsewhere on the ship, so I do think it is the high and front location of that cabin. I will also tell you that there was no question in my mind about taking that cabin again-- I would have taken 17007 if the views were better on that side, but that's it, I feel like I have found my place on the sea. You are steps from the Haven's spa treatment rooms, the gym (if you're into that on a cruise) and from the private upstairs sun deck where there was never anyone. It is a super-quiet corner of the ship since there are only a handful of cabins past you. Although some people feel that those front cabins are far-removed from the restaurant, elevators, etc, it's only a one-minute walk, so we didn't mind it at all. I will bring nausea meds again on the next trip just in case, but I don't think anything could deter me from this cabin!!! We have all been dreaming about it for several weeks now, after almost a year of waiting... I am SURE you will love it if you book it!!

Port side every time. Last year the ship tied up on the port side at every stop. We were on the starboard side and felt we were missing out.

I've done the eastern itinerary on the Epic twice now and it doesn't always dock to the same side of the piers every cruise.

Oh, you are the best!!! Thank you so much for your reply!! It's been very helpful!! I'm glad you said that the ladder is not in view -- perhaps they moved it or lower it during sailing. I don't know if you've seen this video of 17004, but it shows the ladder off the balcony...

Let me know your thoughts. Either way, you said you didn't see it during your sailing, so perhaps it was temporarily posted there while in port. ??

Enjoy your cruise in a few weeks and thank you again, so very much, for your most helpful response!!

Maybe after this next visit to 17004, you can repost here your thoughts and sights...

Have a wonderful weekend!

Oh, you are the best!!! Thank you so much for your reply!! It's been very helpful!! I'm glad you said that the ladder is not in view -- perhaps they moved it or lower it during sailing. I don't know if you've seen this video of 17004, but it shows the ladder off the balcony...

Let me know your thoughts. Either way, you said you didn't see it during your sailing, so perhaps it was temporarily posted there while in port. ??

Enjoy your cruise in a few weeks and thank you again, so very much, for your most helpful response!!

Maybe after this next visit to 17004, you can repost here your thoughts and sights...

Have a wonderful weekend!

I did see that video (probably 100 obsessive times!) back when we were first contemplating booking this cabin. The ladder is actually a window-washer and it is parked outside of the cabin below 17004, so you won't see it at all unless you look straight down from exactly the right spot on the balcony. It only comes up to 17004 if they are actively washing your windows, apparently only when in port-- we never saw it. Don't even think about while you're making your decision-- it's not there!!!

The other comments I would make re: the video are that overall, the cabin is a bit brighter than it looks in the video, and that there is a half-bath by the front door which I don't remember them showing. The bathroom has a long vanity area facing the sinks which I think wasn't too obvious in the video, as well. The closet is divided into two halves, so easy for managing two people's stuff. It really is just a perfect space. I'm sure I will write another review-- we didn't manage to do everything on the ship last time, so we still have some new things to experience! Good luck with your decision-making and let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you soooo much!! LOL I have also obsessively watched that video!! Thank you for clearing up that HUGE issue!! And, thank you for the other details. We have booked DOS 17004 and are really looking forward to our first cruise!!

I feel so fortunate to have found you!!! :~) Thank you again for the invaluable information!!

Enjoy your next trip!!

Best regards,

kimberly

Archived