Advice on Hotel Sonya - Rome, Italy

RBDB6

I haven't stayed in the hotel, but I know the neighborhood. It's perfectly fine, about five or six blocks from the train station. Not that it's probably relevant for a one night stay, but there's a good supermarket on the corner and an inexpensive internet cafe across the street.

To get around Rome you'll have a relatively short one block walk to Via ****onale, where you can get buses to just about anywhere in the city you'd like to go. You can easily walk from this hotel to the Colosseum and the Forum (about a mile, but it's all downhill); however, you might want some mechanical help on the (uphill) return.

It's also an easy walk to the Trevi fountain (a little less than a mile), using the steps from Piazza del Quirinale. If you time it right, you can see the changing of the guard in the piazza before heading down to the fountain.

Thank you Euro cruiser for passing along your knowledge on the neighborhood surrounding the Hotel Sonya. That is very important to us.

We look for a clean room in a safe neighborhood.

A few "not so good" remarks from people who have stayed their recently have come to our attention on Trip Advisor. We don't use Trip Advisor as the final say in where we stay, but we do factor in the comments made.

We have read all the other big booking sites for hotels and do not see any alarming quote so we probably should be OK there for our stay in Rome.

Diane and Roy

I haven't stayed in the hotel, but I know the neighborhood. It's perfectly fine, about five or six blocks from the train station. Not that it's probably relevant for a one night stay, but there's a good supermarket on the corner and an inexpensive internet cafe across the street.

To get around Rome you'll have a relatively short one block walk to Via ****onale, where you can get buses to just about anywhere in the city you'd like to go. You can easily walk from this hotel to the Colosseum and the Forum (about a mile, but it's all downhill); however, you might want some mechanical help on the (uphill) return.

It's also an easy walk to the Trevi fountain (a little less than a mile), using the steps from Piazza del Quirinale. If you time it right, you can see the changing of the guard in the piazza before heading down to the fountain.

Eurocruiser,

Is the changing of the guard in the piazza scheduled for the same time everyday?

We are sure we will find many advantages to the location of Hotel Sonya.

Rick Steves, if you follow him, has a write up on the hotel in his book on Italy. We have had good experiences using his advice.

Hello Bubbachief,

We are reading Rick Steves, Rome 2011, right now. On previous trips his advice has been "right on the money".

Diane and Roy

I found this hotel when googling for a hotel in Rome - they gave us the 'Rick Steve's price' and if you pay cash.

I just read the new reviews since I booked by hotel :( - but I don't mind... we'll just spend 2 nights and it was a good price, within walking distance... all matters is visiting Rome!!!;)

I found this hotel when googling for a hotel in Rome - they gave us the 'Rick Steve's price' and if you pay cash.

I just read the new reviews since I booked by hotel :( - but I don't mind... we'll just spend 2 nights and it was a good price, within walking distance... all matters is visiting Rome!!!;)

Tour Eiffel,

We see that Hotel Sonya has a sister hotel in Rome too; Hotel Opera which must be close to HS. Twice the beds for travelers in Rome:).

It looks like you will be in Rome in July, 2011 - will you please report back to cruise critic with information on your stay at HS?

Our stay will be this year in November and will appreciate your honest opinion.

Thank You,

Diane and Roy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

we stayed there 1 night pre and post cruise - it's a nice little hotel - clean, very friendly guest service at the front desk. I'd recommend it to any traveler - Keep in mind that this is a small hotel and won't offer the luxury of a big room that a Marriott, or DoubleTree would offer - but while in Rome that's a perfect place to get a good night rest! Breakfast was delicious and copious.

ask for the Rick Steve's rate :) - we got a great deal!

• 2 weeks later...
we stayed there 1 night pre and post cruise - it's a nice little hotel - clean, very friendly guest service at the front desk. I'd recommend it to any traveler - Keep in mind that this is a small hotel and won't offer the luxury of a big room that a Marriott, or DoubleTree would offer - but while in Rome that's a perfect place to get a good night rest! Breakfast was delicious and copious.

-----------------------------------

Ask for "the discount for cash" rate, (in Euros) and get even a better rate because of the dollar/euros exchange rate!;):D

Thank you for the review of Hotel Sonya.

We don't mind it being small - glad to hear we can count on a good night rest, it is clean and has friendly guest service.

Best Regards,

Diane & Roy

Thanks for the review. I have this hotel booked for my TA next year.

Hi,

My DH has some troubles with COPD and we prefer a place with elevators. Does Hotel Sonya have one?

Thanks,

Connie

The hotel does have an elevator. It was very small, probably a hundred years old, but worked just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived