What does guaranteed Steakhouse reservations mean to you?

gargoyle999

Question especially for Platinum cruisers. One of the perks is guaranteed steakhouse reservations. What does that mean to you?

DW turned Platinum on our recent Splendor cruise. Called on Monday for 6:30pm reservations for Wed. Was told we could have 5:30 or 6pm. DW mentioned she was Platinum and was told yup you can have 5:30 or 6pm.

Anyway guaranteed should mean day and time I would think. We went at 6pm and there were tables open until at least 7:30pm that we could have had at 6:30 so I'm not sure what the issue was.

It was not critical we eat at 6:30 vs 6 so it was not a big deal. But it made me wonder what guaranteed steakhouse reservations means.

What do you think? :confused:

To me, it simply means that you are guaranteed to receive a reservation. It does not say "at the time of your choice." I don't see how they could ever make or keep that promise. It simply means that they will get you in.

Maybe guaranteed for the day you want then but not specific time?

I've been to the Steakhouse on several ships and there have always been a lot of empty tables. The Splendor was one of the busier and smaller ones and there were still empty tables the entire time we were there. Not just ones opening up. I mean no one sitting at the entire time.

I really laughed on our Miracle cruise last Nov. Malcolm the CD made an announcement that people should reserve the steakhouse asap because there were just a few openings left. We already had reservations and went that night and there were all kinds of empty tables the whole time.

Has anyone been denied a reservation when calling a day or more before the day you wanted?

nah, i think the intent was always that you are guaranteed a reservation, but i do not see how they could guarantee your preferred time.

what if every platinum cruiser on the ship, a growing amount of cruisers per sailing (and an inflated percentage, say for instance on a large group sailing), were to all request 6.30. if that were to exceed the seating / service capacity, how could one expect that to be guaranteed?

and as you noted, in most instances, it's not a big deal :)

Per the nice lady I met a few years ago on the Glory who was the head of all the steakhouses on Carnival. It simply means that you will receive a table sometime during your cruise no matter how busy they are.

The funny thing is I have never seen them that overly busy on my cruises and even have gotten tables for 8 even when told they couldn't do it. People cancel all the time for that venue.....

Question especially for Platinum cruisers. One of the perks is guaranteed steakhouse reservations. What does that mean to you?

DW turned Platinum on our recent Splendor cruise. Called on Monday for 6:30pm reservations for Wed. Was told we could have 5:30 or 6pm. DW mentioned she was Platinum and was told yup you can have 5:30 or 6pm.

Anyway guaranteed should mean day and time I would think. We went at 6pm and there were tables open until at least 7:30pm that we could have had at 6:30 so I'm not sure what the issue was.

It was not critical we eat at 6:30 vs 6 so it was not a big deal. But it made me wonder what guaranteed steakhouse reservations means.

What do you think? :confused:

I think it means they will fit you in somehow.

We always reserve a few days ahead, never had to mention that we are Miletone - always got the day and time we wanted.

We upgraded our room to Penthouse suite at the last minute and also booked 4 nights at the steakhouse. Ha~~what a joke, they make a big deal out of the "reservation" thing and the truth is, it was never, ever full no matter what the time. Hardly anyone ate there until the last night, then it was half full even then. They make a BIG DEAL out of it to impress...as though THEY ARE FULL and you are actually LUCKY to get a seat...when you get there...it's a big empty room. However, the food is absolutley wonderful...the best anywhere around....definitely 5***** restaurant.

On the first night, we arrived 12 minutes early before our 6pm "reservation" on The Legend...and was literally chewed out by the hostess for it. There were 2 other couples already seated and the entire place was EMPTY...yet she not so politely informed us we made a grave error in arriving early. Very, very rude. We almost walked out...but we wanted a good steak and lobster...so we stayed. She also ended up being our waitress and was RUDE the remainder of the dinner...I was so upset by her I was shaking, she made me feel I didn't belong there from the get go.

We upgraded our room to Penthouse suite at the last minute and also booked 4 nights at the steakhouse. Ha~~what a joke, they make a big deal out of the "reservation" thing and the truth is, it was never, ever full no matter what the time. Hardly anyone ate there until the last night, then it was half full even then. They make a BIG DEAL out of it to impress...as though THEY ARE FULL and you are actually LUCKY to get a seat...when you get there...it's a big empty room. However, the food is absolutley wonderful...the best anywhere around....definitely 5***** restaurant.

On the first night, we arrived 12 minutes early before our 6pm "reservation" on The Legend...and was literally chewed out by the hostess for it. There were 2 other couples already seated and the entire place was EMPTY...yet she not so politely informed us we made a grave error in arriving early. Very, very rude. We almost walked out...but we wanted a good steak and lobster...so we stayed. She also ended up being our waitress and was RUDE the remainder of the dinner...I was so upset by her I was shaking, she made me feel I didn't belong there from the get go.

I would have told the maitre'd==sorry you had a bad experience.

I hope you didnt tip extra---the TIP IS INCLUDED in the price.

We had a wine steward who was very rude to me one night---I went stright to the pursur's desk after dinner to report him, also wrote a letter to CCL about him when we got home. THey replied with a letter, saying he would be reprimanded and included a 45 day letter for a gift as well. I have NEVER reported anyone in 33 cruises, except for this guy, so I'm not a complainer lol.

Ok...I guess this is a perk that really isn't. :p

I did like the laundry, priority tender and getting that Zone 1 debarkation tag.

And being able to go in the special line at guest services. They were very good about helping us right away when we walked up there on the Splendor.

Yep...I was denied a reservation on Glory.

I thought it meant one could get a reservation for the date and time they wanted. Apparently not.

Several weeks after my cruise, I called Carnival and asked what guaranteed meant. Several people I talked to could not/would not answer me.

Finally, I emailed the CEO and asked him. I just wanted a yes or no answer and I would have been fine with that. Well, I received phone calls and emails from several higher ups apologizing all over the place. So it seems they think it means a specific date and time. Try telling the people on the ship that.

BTW, on the ship, I was told they were full. Sorry...don't believe it. I've never seen the Steakhouse full. Not even close.

On our last cruise I had spoken to both out steakhouse waiter and the Maitre'd about the food, service, seating etc. Having cooked in a few restraunts during my high school years, and almost going culinary arts instead of Coast Guard service I was intreged about it.

I was educated that the service and food, or if you would, the overall experience, is suppose to be something special to the cruisers (customers). That is also why there is an upcharge. To try to make the experience more special they try if you would to seclude each table apart from other diners so you do not get that crowded feeling like the dining room or some shoreside restraunts. There are also a limited number of servers in each steakhouse. This limits the number of tables/parties to be seated at any one time. Therefore each party gets that special experience they are trying to achieve. Just because you se empty tables, does not mean they can seat more parties. They have to be prepared at all time to accomidate parties of one or two diners, to parties of 8, 10 or even more. Having the tables available makes it easier to rearrange (and set up) as needed. If they took out the empty tables, and left the spaces vacant, then where do they store those tables needed for the larger parties.

To answer the question of the thread. I believe they will guarntee you a reservation during your cruise. Hopefully on the night you request. The later you wait to make the reservation, the harder for them to accomidate you. I am reminded a time when I was running a barracks (military single housing unit) and had an officer show up and wanted, then demanded a room. He was informed, and it stated on his orders, he could stay in the barracks, if requested. He never called ahead to verify availability. Showing up at 2230 (10:30 pm for civilians) did not help. It was a reserve drill weekend, and every bed in the unit was occupied. I could not even put him in a room with a junior (enlisted) person, because we had a full house. You would believe the names this officer (and so called gentleman) called me demanding a room. I explained to him the situation and called the OOD (duty officer). OOD explained NO BEDS AVAILABLE, means no beds available. Since he did not call ahead (to make a reservation) we could not accomidate him even though his orders said he could stay in the barracks. Understand. Sorry for the sea story.

Archived