Age discrimination on RCCL Belize snorkel trip!

gzyteck

There was a big thread on the Celeb forum about this issue a couple weeks ago. It is a bummer for physically-fit seniors (like me & DH), but these restrictions are based on the law of averages. Sad to say, most folk in our age bracket aren't up to handling activities that could tax their physiology. You might have noticed that many shorexes have weight limits as well. And I know there are lots of parents out there who aren't happy that their precious darlings are excluded from excursions because they are too young!

I've read of situations where cruisers signed on for excursions clearly marked as "strenuous" and held the group back because of their limitations. So I can understand why age and weight restrictions are utilized. Liability is a big issue for the cruiselines but independent guides in countries outside the sue-happy US may not be as vulnerable to a lawsuit resulting in a huge monetary settlement.

There was a big thread on the Celeb forum about this issue a couple weeks ago. It is a bummer for physically-fit seniors (like me & DH), but these restrictions are based on the law of averages. Sad to say, most folk in our age bracket aren't up to handling activities that could tax their physiology. You might have noticed that many shorexes have weight limits as well. And I know there are lots of parents out there who aren't happy that their precious darlings are excluded from excursions because they are too young!

I've read of situations where cruisers signed on for excursions clearly marked as "strenuous" and held the group back because of their limitations. So I can understand why age and weight restrictions are utilized. Liability is a big issue for the cruiselines but independent guides in countries outside the sue-happy US may not be as vulnerable to a lawsuit resulting in a huge monetary settlement.

If that is the case....what will be next? How would you like to be denied a cruise fare because of your age....to many risk of medical problems....ridiculous!!! Good Luck on suing any of them!

It is pure age discrimination...clear and simple! I am a certified diver and can dive on a cruise ship excursion, but not snorkel......makes no sense!!!

If that is the case....what will be next? How would you like to be denied a cruise fare because of your age....to many risk of medical problems....ridiculous!!! Good Luck on suing any of them!

It is pure age discrimination...clear and simple! I am a certified diver and can dive on a cruise ship excursion, but not snorkel......makes no sense!!!

Age discrimination/age perks-both can be considered discriminatory. DH & I are more than happy to take advantage of senior discounts, such as when we ski SunValley soon and get reduced lift tix, or save big bucks w/ the AARP rate at hotels. And what about childrens' rates for movies, etc.?

You're right- I wouldn't like to be denied the right to cruise cause I'm too old, but people are being "denied" the right to cruise because they're too pregnant or too young. And actually, for certain ages & conditions and shore excursions, a doctor's clearance might not be a bad idea. If that were the case, you'd be able to snorkel regardless of age.

I say this as a senior. YOU might be in great shape and can do lots of things. Not all of us are. I am not in the best shape myself, but I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Statistics say you are too old--just as others might be too young.

If that part of the trip is so important to you, book it with someone other than the cruise line. Why should the cruise line risk having someone have a heart attack, a stroke, etc,. because they say or look like they are in good shape?

Sorry, in this case I agree with the cruising, which is not normally what I do.

Archived