Where does your 2 year old sleep?

bigdaddyvoges

Good morning all,

I am sailing the Magic next year and my daughter will be 27 months (a little over 2 years) old when we sail. We are not sure whether to request a pack-n-play or have her sleep on the sofa bed. For anyone who has sailed with a 2 year old, please give me some advice. Thanks.

We put our just turned 2 yr old on the sofa bed and just put a few pillows on the floor below. Its only about 2 feet off the ground. He only rolled off once and he was fine falling on the pillows below. We have also done an inside cabin before and just pulled the already made up mattress off the top bunk and placed it directly on the floor for DD to sleep. Then in the morning DH just put its back up and the steward puts it back in the wall. Either scenerio works fine. I think you can request a pack n play once onboard but its first come first serve and goes to the "under 2" crowd first. You cant reserve one ahead of time if they are older than 2

At that age, my daughter slept between us.

If she needs to feel cozy and safe (i.e. just recently out of the crib and not thrilled about a bed) I'd get the pack & play (or put her between you). If she's fully thrilled with being in a bed, do the sofa with pillows on the floor. My concern was never about her falling out, but more about getting sleep...

I have never cruised with a two year old but I have my two year old grandson all the time so here is something to think about. Will your child go to sleep laying on a bed or couch without wanting to get up and play? I would never be able to get my Grandson to sleep without a crib or playpen.

Our 26 month old slept on the king size bed with my wife the first night. I slept in the pull down bunk....

By the last evening, we were all sharing the king bed. It's the most comfortable setup.

The very first time we took our son on a cruise, it was on RCCL. We knew ahead of time that the sofa in our room did not pull out.

Instead, we brought an aero toddler bed which is a toddler sized blow up bed with inverted sides so the child doesn't roll out. It comes with it's own washable mattress cover and everything you need to blow the bed up in a couple of minutes.

We blew the bed up and put it on the floor next to our bed. During the day, we would just stand it against the wall out of the way. It worked very well for us without any hassles.

They can be purchased through Target online, BabiesRUs, Amazon and a few other places that you can google.

Have fun!

At 2 year sold, she should be fine in the sofa bed, even without "safeguarding". It's about a foot off the floor, so even if she were to fall out she won't get hurt. On our daughter's first cruise she had just turned 2, and she did fine in the sofa bed. After that trip, not coincidentally, we removed the side form her crib to turn it into a toddler bed.

DS #2 was just about that age for his first cruise on the Celebration. We had an outside (view) stateroom and he actually loved sleeping on the windowsil which was quite wide. Him, his blankie, and stuffed cow. He'd lay at night and look up at the stars and/or moon until he fell asleep. We had our bed directly under the window so that if he rolled off, he'd be right on us.... Never was. Problem.

B

Traveled with 2 y/o DS last year. He slept in top bunk. In our set up, IF he was to roll off the top bunk he would have fell on top of me on the king bed . They really tuck them sheets in there so tight that they are hard to pull out, so I would just stick him inside, so there was less of a chance of him rolling out. There is also a small side rail, that is there for back up. He did well up there all 7 nights! Either way, he thought that bunk thing, was really fun, there was no way he wasn't going to climb up there and sleep.:D

Archived