SJU arrival 4 a.m....then what

navigator71

Trying to figure out best flight....any ideas on what to do with luggage if we arrive at 4 am? If we can't board till after 11:30 suggestions on what to do to kill time besides getting a hotel room. Is it possible to drop off luggage but not check in yet? Trolley for a bit and then back to dock? Or is it better to arrive late night before and get cheap hotel? I'm sure there's a thread for this but don't have time to look for it. Thanks for answering my question.

I have sailed out of San Juan many times. Getting there at 4am is not my idea of a relaxing day of embarkation. If no other choice, then so be it. However, if you can get there the day before, it makes a lot better start to the cruise. Hotels are not exactly "cheap" in San Juan. Sometimes you can use priceline or hotwire to get something fairly reasonable.

I don't think you will be able to drop off luggage much before 10:30. See if you can get there the day before. That way, if there is a problem with your flight, you have an extra day built in.

Janet

Hi Navigator71!

I have to ask...can you explain your screen name? Just curious.

Oh and I have heard that you can go to the pier early and drop off luggage with a porter letting them know what ship you are sailing on. Maybe you could stay at the airport for a few hours if you don't have an alternative.??? Then catch at taxi to either shop downtown or do sightseeing. That is what we are planning.

We planned a late night (11:00 PM) arrival, and stayed at the Best Western which is right in the airport. Reasonably priced, no transportation necessary. After a good nights sleep, and light breakfast the next morning, we taxied to the ship and were among the first to board.

My husband calls me the Navigator because whenever we go somewhere I always seem to know when we've made a wrong turn or I can figure out quickly which direction to head in. Also very comfortable with map reading. Guess I got that from my dad and now a days with the mapquest app on my phone, I'm a genius with navigating! ha-ha -ha And the 71 is for the year I was born:)

Trying to figure out best flight....any ideas on what to do with luggage if we arrive at 4 am? If we can't board till after 11:30 suggestions on what to do to kill time besides getting a hotel room. Is it possible to drop off luggage but not check in yet? Trolley for a bit and then back to dock? Or is it better to arrive late night before and get cheap hotel? I'm sure there's a thread for this but don't have time to look for it. Thanks for answering my question.

I did the red-eye into SJ last year. Ended up spending several hours just sitting around the airport then finally taking a shuttle over to the port. I was the first in line, and waited there till they started checking in luggage at about 11. It's the cheapest way to go, but don't necessarily recommend it. The ship will be leaving from the Pan American Pier, which isn't close to anything even if you could drop off you luggage somewhere. The Princess transfer suggestion doesn't work at that time of the morning, but is an option if you want to spend 5 or more hours at the airport.

It's no fun spending time at SJU. You really should CAHNGE your flight plans to the day before and stay at a hotel.

Archived