CCL Spirit w/GBNP 5-1-12 or 9-11-12???

silvercrikhix

We would like to sail Carnival Spirit when it sails Glacier Bay. Would really like to see Glacier Bay---heard it's a must. Unfortunely, the only dates for 2012 are terrible. Early May 5-1 or Mid September 9-11. We are looking at Carnival due to $rates for friends. We'd get a Aft Wrap and we'd all hang out there. Can anyone tell me which date would be the best bet weather wise?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

A slight edge is for May, with the main benefit being the daylight, which would be significantly more. This is still a very chancy weather time. And again, you will need to be well prepared in your attire.

If you truely have a scenery priority and on such a strict budget, you might want to also look at all the Seattle cruises available and perhaps, get a better week?

A slight edge is for May, with the main benefit being the daylight, which would be significantly more. This is still a very chancy weather time. And again, you will need to be well prepared in your attire.

If you truely have a scenery priority and on such a strict budget, you might want to also look at all the Seattle cruises available and perhaps, get a better week?

Thank you so much for your response, budgetqueen. I have noticed you on these Alaska boards and you are a fountain of information! If you have any other comments or ideas for me, please have at it! ;)

Yep.....I am wondering now about changing to a better weather week w/o the GBNP on the itinerary and DH & I would take a flight over the Park for an excursion. I believe there is a company out of Haines/Skagway that will do this.

Otherwise, I'm looking at maybe Princess but it is a different scenario. We would want a XXL balcony and they are quite spendy on Princess, but the friends can still get the cheaper inside. If we all go in one room with the larger balcony, we'd have to pay the lions share, which is kind of o.k. but then we are stuck with 1 bathroom and much less privacy.

NCL might work too, but they don't seem to get very good reviews. Hmmmmm....what to do? :confused: LOL I've definitely got my work cut out for me to figure this out. And soon so the "good" cabins aren't all gone. sigh............. Glad to have this problem trying to figure out an Alaskan cruise....we are quite fortunate and lucky!!!

I have done 6 Alaska Cruises and best weather I have had was in May - worse weather - end of June & Sept. Going again this May on Golden Princess......I am just as excitied about this cruise, as I was when I went on my first one.

Vie Lee

NCL might work too, but they don't seem to get very good reviews. Hmmmmm....what to do? :confused: LOL I've definitely got my work cut out for me to figure this out. And soon so the "good" cabins aren't all gone. sigh............. Glad to have this problem trying to figure out an Alaskan cruise....we are quite fortunate and lucky!!!

I have cruised Alaska about 10 times with NCL and they do a good job. Their freestyle works perfectly with Alaska. Negative, they do not have a ship naturalist. :( But they do sail Glacier Bay on the Pearl. :)

budget queen, since i have noticed you are a fountain of info regards alaska, i am going on diamond pricess in may 2011 with hubby who has health issues (bad back and knees) and daughter who has financial issues (just moved back home). with those limitations, what would you recommend as not to miss in regards denali, hubbard glacier, glacier bay, skagway, and juneau. i figure ketchikan has enough to keep us busy. we have cruised before but never to alaska. due to our age and finances, it may well be the only time we go to alaska.

budget queen, since i have noticed you are a fountain of info regards alaska, i am going on diamond pricess in may 2011 with hubby who has health issues (bad back and knees) and daughter who has financial issues (just moved back home). with those limitations, what would you recommend as not to miss in regards denali, hubbard glacier, glacier bay, skagway, and juneau. i figure ketchikan has enough to keep us busy. we have cruised before but never to alaska. due to our age and finances, it may well be the only time we go to alaska.

How are you getting to Denali? The cheapest way is with a rental car, staying in a modest motel and getting the shuttle bus to Eielson.

Skagway, cheapest deal is probably a rental car, and driving into the Yukon. "Necessary" is the purchase of Murrays Guide, available online.

Juneau- I suggest you look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests, there are a lot of choices to consider. Get out on your ship deck for Hubbard and Glacier Bay.

O.K. ...... We are thinking the 5/29/12 Carnival Spirit now. We would do a flightseeing tour with either Mtn Air or Fly Drake over GBNP out of Skagway on June 1, 2012. Have you done the flightseeing tour at all? I'll check on the AK boards and see if anyone has anything to say about their experiences. Thanks so much for all you help and input!!!

O.K. ...... We are thinking the 5/29/12 Carnival Spirit now. We would do a flightseeing tour with either Mtn Air or Fly Drake over GBNP out of Skagway on June 1, 2012. Have you done the flightseeing tour at all? I'll check on the AK boards and see if anyone has anything to say about their experiences. Thanks so much for all you help and input!!!

Yes, I have flown out of Skagway but not with either of these companies.

Using the search feature on this board should get you some information. Also include, just "glacier bay flightseeing/flights".

Archived