Any hotel recommendations for New Orleans?

cruisinqt

We will be driving to New Orleans for a cruise this October. I have read cruise reviews where the people said their hotel offered free parking for the duration of the cruise if you stayed with them. They also claimed that the hotel offered free shuttle service to the cruise ship and they bypassed all of the lines of cars and were dropped off right at the pier. That sounds like a great deal to me. But I don't know where to start. I hate to just book any old hotel and leave my car with them. I would like to know if anyone has used a hotel in New Orleans and got the above mentioned perks. Was it a safe parking lot? Did the hotel shuttle pick you up after the cruise? Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hotel at a good price in New Orleans?

I would try the Hilton Riverside. They have free parking while on your cruise. You'd have to take a cab to the port, which is fairly close. Good Luck and Book ASAP!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;7;4;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
'til Crusin on the Conquest

Thanks for the help. I read in the ports of call area about someone getting a deal at the Holiday Inn on Royal st. for $129 with free parking and a taxi to the port. Their web site had no such offers. I also heard about the Maison St. Charles offering $5.00 dollar a day parking and free limo ride to the port with a 3 day stay. Their website also had no such offer. I have heard that the Hilton Riverside is close to the pier and has free parking. Several people said that they got it for just $50.00 a night at Priceline.com. I tried but got rejected on that price. I have been told that when it gets closer to my cruise date and the hotel still has a number of rooms open, I will probably get the good price. But I have one question. I went to the Hilton Riverside's website and it said parking was $22 a day. Is that for non hotel guests or everyone? Did you stay at the Hilton and not have to pay for your parking? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the reply.

I just read another posting about a man who got the Hilton through priceline for just $50.00 dollars but was mad because he found out that the parking is not free to all hotel guests. He will have to pay for his parking. On a better note I found out about a "cruise special" at Hilton. For just $99.00 dollars I got 2 queen beds for a family of four and guaranteed free parking for up to seven days. All you have to do is call Hilton at 1-504-561-0500 and ask for the "cruise special." They will even give you a full refund if you cancel at least threee days prior to your stay. You can't beat that. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I was in N.O last year post cruise. We stayed at Maison St Charles (which is right across the street from Emeril Restaurant) and right on the streetcar route. But I would suggest the Riverside, I didn't really think the area around the Maison St. Charles was that great. And our room was in the old part of the property (there is a newer building in the back area, same parking and lobby) and it was not very nice at all, thank goodness it was only for the one night.Also I really don't see where they would have room at the Maison St. Charles to put cars for a week , really wasn't any extra room for that. If I were you I would go with the other one, we saw the Riverside and it looked nice. Just my opinion. Good Luck, have a great time in NO.
Cori

• 4 weeks later...
When my husband and I went, we stayed at the Le Pavillon in NO. Got it off hotwire.com. Beautiful hotel. But it was about a 10-15 min. walk to the port (not bad if you like to walk). We also stayed at the Hotel Monaco (so nice!) in NO and would recommend it too. Both these hotels are great (so stylish and great price) but a little walk to the port. Good luck.

We are headed down in just a few days. We go often and we can tell you from experience parking is a pain. Most hotels charge $25.00 or more with a TAX on top of that. We have stayed at the Hilton many times and if you can get a $99.00 special grab it! Ask for a newer room above the Riverwalk. If you have one piece of luggage each, and presuming it is a rolling type, you could walk it, but I would not recommend it. The pier looks closer than it is and what's a few more dollars for a cab!
P.S. We tried to get the Hilton for our little E & E [eating and eating] and the lowest rate we could find was $139.
Enjoy your cruise.

I have found out after much research that these hotels in New Orleans just don't advertise their "cruise specials." The Hilton had nothing on their website about a cruise special. The cheapest room on the Hilton's website was over $200.00 a night. I kept hearing about cruise specials but saw nothing on their websites. But when I called the Hilton's 1 800 number and asked for a "cruise special" they gave me a quote of $99.00 and I jumped on it. The same thing was true of the Maison St. Charles. Everyone was talking about a "bon voyage" package that included transport to the hotel and other goodies. But when I went to the Maison St. Charles's website, there was no such deal. I think the problem here is that they don't advertise these cruise specials. The only way you can get these good cruise deals is to call them directly and ask for any specials they have for cruisers. And if you come across any good deals, please post it so others will benefit too. I am so glad someone posted about their good deal at the Hilton. Not only did I benefit from it but many others posted that they were extremely happy to get the deal too. So please, by all means, share the info. on any good deals you get. That's what these message boards are all about. Happy cruisin' guys!

We are staying there in January pre cruise for 1 nite on there Bon Voyage Package. There service so far seems great. The reservations manager responded to my questions very quickly and there package includes parking for the days that you are on the cruise for $ 5.00. The actual day that you are staying there I think parking is $ 14.00. They mention the package on there website in the newsletter section. If you want information directly from the hotel, see there website directly at [url]www.maisonstcharles.com[/url] or call toll-free at 800-831-1783 (info below is posted from there website)

CRUISE HERE.
PARK HERE.
BON VOYAGE PACKAGE
As we have noted in this space before, cruise lines have truly discovered New Orleans. About time, considering we’re going on 300 years old.

Anyway, they are here now, and folks are heading for the Caribbean, Mexico, Jamaica, and even going upriver to Natchez.

When you stay with us for one, two, or three nights just before boarding your ship , we’ll keep your car here for only $5 per day while you are out on that dream cruise vacation.

It’s not just a great deal, it’s the perfect arrangement. We’ll take you to the Port for boarding, so you don’t have the hassle of parking the car and paying big money for that, then hauling luggage, competing with your fellow passengers as you all board the boat.

Vacations are supposed to be fun, and cruises especially are supposed to be relaxing. Don’t start yours off with negative issues. Stay here. Leave your car here. Come back here. After all, what better place to begin and end a cruise than in the City That Care Forgot?

Call us for all the details, and be certain to mention “Bon Voyage Package.”

Has anyone been able to book a room in 2005 for the $99.00 rate. I called and was told that the rates for 2005 have not been released. However, he did tell me that you could book a room now at $99.00 and leave car up to seven days. This was the 2004 rate. I guess I will have to try back later for my January 2005 room.:(

I am also driving to NO in October and tried the HIlton and they were booked for our night, but I called Maison St. Charles and got 2 rooms for $97 each and they confirmed we can leave the car there for $5 per day. They will take us and drop us off at the ship and pick us up the following Sunday and bring us back to our car. I think that's a pretty good deal. We haven't stayed there before so I don't know what the hotel is like, but I do know that area and I think it's a nice area. It is an older hotel, but we like to stay in those old hotels down in the French quarter so I'm thinking this one will be on that order as well. A lot of other hotels that I tried were much pricier and didn't offer the parking deal and many were already booked up. Good Luck!

We're staying at the Doubletree Lakeside in Metairie both before and after our Oct. cruise. It's 6-7 miles from the port, but there is shuttle and/or taxi service available. Actually, we're using Hilton points for free nights, but are being allowed to self-park for $6 (plus tax) nightly. They also have a cruise-and-park plan (code CPP). Email [email]tbrown@doubletreelakeside.com[/email].

• 2 weeks later...
I just got off the phone with the Hilton and yes they do give you 7 days of free parking - but you do end up paying for one night - because the cruise is 7 days and you are there the night before (or after) so that ends up being 8 days. There is a $22.00 a day fee for parking. I just didn't want anyone to be SURPRISED when they get hit with the charge.

Just called the Maison. Now their special is $89.00 a night for 2 adults, kids are free in same room. $10.00 additional for each adult in room. They do charge for parking the night you stay. Parking in the Summer months is $7.00, then after Labor Day the price jumps to $14.00 for that first night. They take you by Limo to the pier, you have to take a cab back when you return. They charge $5.00 a day to leave your car while you are on the cruise.

I don't know about free parking, but we love the Place d'Armes in the French Quarter. The French Quarter Holiday Inn and Marriott would be good choices, as well. None are far from the cruise port. The Place d'Armes is diagonally across from Jackson Square and is comprised of several very old buildings that have been renovated and combined into a charming hotel. I don't think any 2 of their rooms are identical, but all are lovely. Their web address is [url]www.placedarmes.com[/url]. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Place d'Arms is a fabulous hotel. It used to be an old school, so the room set-up is very interesting. Has a pool and courtyard, continental breakfast, and is very near Bourbon Street, etc. Price was very reasonable. I highly recommend this location.

I also vote for the Place D'Armes. Very nice place and I got a good deal there, but have also seen some fairly expensive rates (not during Mardi Gras either) on their website. Last Thanksgiving we got the Iberville Suites for 99, and that included a full breakfast. It was nice to have 2 seperate rooms and such a great rate! Also doesn't hurt that it's run by Ritz Carlton.

Vince

• 1 month later...
I got my ressies at the Hilton, Thanks so much for the info guys. We got it for $99 w/ up to 7 nites free parking. We are going on a 5 day cruise, so we have free parking the whole stay. For 4 adults in a room it is $159.00 ,but only one car per room.

[quote name='echo']I got my ressies at the Hilton, Thanks so much for the info guys. We got it for $99 w/ up to 7 nites free parking. We are going on a 5 day cruise, so we have free parking the whole stay. For 4 adults in a room it is $159.00 ,but only one car per room.[/QUOTE]
echo....when are you staying there? i have been trying to get that rate for 12/3 as well as a date in May '05 with no luck at all

Injun Joe

• 1 month later...
Both times we cruised from there, we stopped at a town called Hammond.
At the first exit coming south, there are 2 motels.....
with a crackle barrel, waffle house , and a gas station for lotto tickets all within walking distance.
Then there was less than 2 hours drive to the pier. And these motels are cheaper than at New Orleans. I think we paid about 65.00

Archived