5 Tips To Save When Crusing

1. I buy the soda package for my husband and 2 children (and no Papa they do not drink that much in everyday life, but it is vacation and if they want it why not?) THE REASON WE BUY THE PACKAGE IS BECAUSE IT IS A FIXED EXPENSE. So if they drink less fine, if they drink more fine. there are no surprises.

2. We prebuy all excersion. Do your reseach and book everything prior to leaving. If not going thru the cruise line, know how much cabs, tips, etc will cost and factor that into the cost of the excersion.

3. We never eat in port. Why spend $ on food when you can go back to the ship. We always try to be off the ship by early, do our excersion, sightseeing, or beach day. Return by 2pm shower (if were at the beach), grab a bite to eat and then head out by 3 to do a little window shopping. Again we do not buy something on inpulse.

4. This is always our biggest expense. You will have your picture taken many times throughout your cruise. Everyday we go down to the photo gallery and gather up our pictures from the day before. We put all our photos together. So at the end of the cruise we lay them all out and choose the best one.

5. Arcade: If traveling with children, preload there card. We had a friend who was very surprised at the end of their cruise when the arcade bill was $400 :eek:. My children need to save their own $ for the arcade. I then divide that by the number of nights of the cruise. I then go and load their cards daily with that set amount. When it is gone, they are done! Otherwise they would blow it all in one night.

5. Adult arcade ;): We use the same rule as the kids. Set amount of the night and when it is gone, it is gone. I only play the slots and bring 2 buckets with me. I will put a $20 bill in play one turn and cash it out. Put that change in one bucket (your spending bucket), then put in your bet. If you win cash it out and put it in your 2nd bucket (your winning bucket) then place another bet from your spending bucket. Every time you win, cash out and place it in your winning bucket. NEVER TAKE $ OUT OF YOUR WINNING BUCKET!After your set amount that your brought is spent, cash in your winning bucket. My husband does not believe in this, as he says it is to much work. 80% of the time come out even or ahead. :D

On Princess we bring our own soda on board (prefer Pepsi products); on RCCL we buy one soda card & share. Some will blast this but we couldn't justify the expense for 2--they aren't losing any $, a soda fountain soda runs a few cents each. Even when the kids cruised, we bought one for them to share; most of the time they found it a hassle to find the one who had the mug, they would just get water or the flavored water at the buffet.

I do bring wine &/or gin in rum runners. When wine was $10/glass on RCCL--GEES, the box of wine I bought (not a bad one from Target believe it or not) was $10! Plus with the soda mug I can get tonic water.

We practically NEVER do excursions anymore--though we did in the beginning out of ignorance. You can often book the same excursion online thru reputable companies for far less. Anymore we know where we want to go & just walk or grab a cab there. Beach excursions are one of the biggest rip offs thru the ship.

We do buy one formal shot on each cruise--we couldn't get a sitting fee & shot for $20 at home.

(I wholeheartedly agree w/ the kids arcade deal!)

We love to gamble--but having been Vegas regulars for over 20 years, only ONCE have I hit the ATM in Vegas (and I kicked myself the rest of the trip). We budget per person per day; I pretty much live & die by that amount tho DH is known to dip into another days--but hey, he still gets his max for the trip, so when it is gone it is gone. Mom & I say--just let me play all night; Dad has his budget & does as you--in, win, cash out, pocket it. But he will be done with his budget in a hour--even if he has hundreds in his winning pocket, he is done! Matter of choice, that's for sure!

Could that mean buy it in international waters to avoid the tax?

From everything that I've read about the "soda" card they say to wait until you are in international waters so you do avoid the tax. Someone else even mentioned if you're not sailing until later in the day (my cruise leaves at 5pm) better to wait until the next day where the price will be lower by one day and no tax (just have to make it through the evening without anything that the soda card covers..so not a problem with tea being available.

Do wonder though why bottled water isn't available with the soda card?:confused:

This is soooo true! So many ways to double the cost of your cruise! My wife and I are going on the Caribbean Princess on 5/1. Her 1st, I told her how they nickel and dime you till you bleed. Now she thinks she'll hate cruising!! LOL We'll see!!!

You have picked my favorite ship. I have cruised on her 3 times. She will love cruising after her first Caribbean Princess cruise. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

One way to save on alcohol-

Look for the 2 for 1 deals or the 20% off drink specials..(if your on Royal Caribbean, they will be listed in your "cruise compass"). Also, the art auctions sometimes gives a free glass of champagne to every one who attends.

Also, dont waste your time on going to the spa for a massage or whatever. They usually cost more on the ship than the services you can get at home before you go on your cruise. Plus they sometimes try to get you to buy thier products after you get your service done.

Also, I think someone else also said it on here but dont bother buying the junk like watches, cheap jewerly and t-shirts and the glasses they sometimes will give you your alcohol drinks in. I have so many of those glasses and dont even use them. Plus the drinks are cheaper ofcourse if you dont buy the glass.

Archived