Oasis, March 5-12, 2011

Our family of five were on the Oasis of the Seas for the March 5th Western voyage. This was our first cruise, although we are fortunate to travel frequently. Because others have previously posted very detailed trip reports, I will share with you the highlights that come to my mind. I hope it is helpful to future travelers. Here are some random thoughts:

I found the Oasis met all of my expectations, which were actually pretty high! :p Having read so many positive reviews, I was expecting an amazing ship and the Oasis did not disappoint. As others have reported, embarkation was a breeze. We went to guest relations immediately and rented some phones so we could keep in touch with the kids. These were invaluable! I have no idea how well the walkie talkies would have worked as far as reception, but my husband noted that he was glad we had the phones and didn't have to listen to the annoying walkie talkie beeping for a week. lol We signed up our 8 year old daughter for the kid's program and then had a yummy lunch at Park Cafe, all within an hour of boarding.

Throughout the week, my interaction with the crew continued to surprise and amaze me. I'm not sure I have ever traveled to a place where the staff were so friendly, well trained and helpful. Everyone - and I mean everyone - who worked on the ship was wonderful! Of course we loved Richard Spacey and the amazing shows, but we also greatly appreciated the contact we had with the folks cleaning the tables at Park Cafe, as one example.

Yes, it is possible to avoid the Windjammer all week and be very, very happy with the other dining choices! I had told my family that I didn't really want to eat there, but they wanted to try it once. So we joined the masses for breakfast .... thankfully, the staff are very helpful in getting a table located for you. It was a one-time deal and the family agreed that we liked other locations to eat much better.

I would *HIGHLY* recommend the private Flowrider lessons! I booked about a week before our trip so we didn't have the best choice of times, as I wanted to book the first sea day. All the daytime slots were full so we booked 8:45pm. This actually was perfect! There were only two other men in our group - who showed up 15 minutes late - so we got oodles of personal time on the Flowrider. Also, if you don't want tons of people standing there, watching you wipe out, this is a good time slot to book, as there were only 4 or 5 people milling around. The instructors were wonderful! We would definitely do the lessons again, even though we have been on the Flowrider.

Yes, you can bring on your own soda and water. Of course we didn't push the limits by bringing a lot, but while in Ft. Lauderdale, we bought a 12-pack of Diet Coke and a 12 pack of water and just stuck our baggage tags on them. We checked them with our suitcases when we arrived at the port. We figured if they didn't make it, it wasn't a big loss. But they were in our room with the other bags! We still bought plenty of cocktails and such on board, but this saved us a little souvenir money.

Be sure to check out the forward of the ship, deck 14 .... amazing space and hardly anyone seemed to know about it! This is a great spot to watch coming into ports, etc.

Also, don't miss the aft of the ship, decks 11 and 12. Watch the diving show from there as a different perspective from the seats. Very cool!

I wish I could remember the exact time, but a kid's club crew member hinted on day 1 that we should be at the car on the Promenade deck that afternoon for a surprise. It was either 4:15 or 4:45pm?? Anyway, there was a flash mob (crew dressed like travelers who break into dancing and singing right around you!). It was really fun and I highly recommend trying to catch this.

Also, we were very lucky to catch the parade on Wednesday, just before (our attempted) docking in Costa Maya. It was at 11:30am. The costumes were amazing! I think a lot of people missed this parade. We watched from up above, by the Schooner Bar, and Richard Spacey was right near us. Don't miss it! On the other hand, the last-night event on the Promenade was crowded and boring and I would skip that next time. The Wednesday parade is MUCH better!

If you visit Cozumel, we highly recommend snorkeling (or diving) with Eagle Ray Diving. We do not recommend the jungle horseback riding trip.

I won't go into detail about the shows, other than to say they should NOT be missed! The Love & Marriage show, as well as Quest, were also great.

Well, those are the highlights that come to mind. I hope they are helpful!

Our family of five were on the Oasis of the Seas for the March 5th Western voyage. This was our first cruise, although we are fortunate to travel frequently. Because others have previously posted very detailed trip reports, I will share with you the highlights that come to my mind. I hope it is helpful to future travelers. Here are some random thoughts:

I found the Oasis met all of my expectations, which were actually pretty high! :p Having read so many positive reviews, I was expecting an amazing ship and the Oasis did not disappoint. As others have reported, embarkation was a breeze. We went to guest relations immediately and rented some phones so we could keep in touch with the kids. These were invaluable! I have no idea how well the walkie talkies would have worked as far as reception, but my husband noted that he was glad we had the phones and didn't have to listen to the annoying walkie talkie beeping for a week. lol We signed up our 8 year old daughter for the kid's program and then had a yummy lunch at Park Cafe, all within an hour of boarding.

Throughout the week, my interaction with the crew continued to surprise and amaze me. I'm not sure I have ever traveled to a place where the staff were so friendly, well trained and helpful. Everyone - and I mean everyone - who worked on the ship was wonderful! Of course we loved Richard Spacey and the amazing shows, but we also greatly appreciated the contact we had with the folks cleaning the tables at Park Cafe, as one example.

Yes, it is possible to avoid the Windjammer all week and be very, very happy with the other dining choices! I had told my family that I didn't really want to eat there, but they wanted to try it once. So we joined the masses for breakfast .... thankfully, the staff are very helpful in getting a table located for you. It was a one-time deal and the family agreed that we liked other locations to eat much better.

I would *HIGHLY* recommend the private Flowrider lessons! I booked about a week before our trip so we didn't have the best choice of times, as I wanted to book the first sea day. All the daytime slots were full so we booked 8:45pm. This actually was perfect! There were only two other men in our group - who showed up 15 minutes late - so we got oodles of personal time on the Flowrider. Also, if you don't want tons of people standing there, watching you wipe out, this is a good time slot to book, as there were only 4 or 5 people milling around. The instructors were wonderful! We would definitely do the lessons again, even though we have been on the Flowrider.

Yes, you can bring on your own soda and water. Of course we didn't push the limits by bringing a lot, but while in Ft. Lauderdale, we bought a 12-pack of Diet Coke and a 12 pack of water and just stuck our baggage tags on them. We checked them with our suitcases when we arrived at the port. We figured if they didn't make it, it wasn't a big loss. But they were in our room with the other bags! We still bought plenty of cocktails and such on board, but this saved us a little souvenir money.

Be sure to check out the forward of the ship, deck 14 .... amazing space and hardly anyone seemed to know about it! This is a great spot to watch coming into ports, etc.

Also, don't miss the aft of the ship, decks 11 and 12. Watch the diving show from there as a different perspective from the seats. Very cool!

I wish I could remember the exact time, but a kid's club crew member hinted on day 1 that we should be at the car on the Promenade deck that afternoon for a surprise. It was either 4:15 or 4:45pm?? Anyway, there was a flash mob (crew dressed like travelers who break into dancing and singing right around you!). It was really fun and I highly recommend trying to catch this.

Also, we were very lucky to catch the parade on Wednesday, just before (our attempted) docking in Costa Maya. It was at 11:30am. The costumes were amazing! I think a lot of people missed this parade. We watched from up above, by the Schooner Bar, and Richard Spacey was right near us. Don't miss it! On the other hand, the last-night event on the Promenade was crowded and boring and I would skip that next time. The Wednesday parade is MUCH better!

If you visit Cozumel, we highly recommend snorkeling (or diving) with Eagle Ray Diving. We do not recommend the jungle horseback riding trip.

I won't go into detail about the shows, other than to say they should NOT be missed! The Love & Marriage show, as well as Quest, were also great.

Well, those are the highlights that come to mind. I hope they are helpful!

how she looks she look kind of brand new

Yes, you can bring on your own soda and water. Of course we didn't push the limits by bringing a lot, but while in Ft. Lauderdale, we bought a 12-pack of Diet Coke and a 12 pack of water and just stuck our baggage tags on them. We checked them with our suitcases when we arrived at the port. We figured if they didn't make it, it wasn't a big loss. But they were in our room with the other bags! We still bought plenty of cocktails and such on board, but this saved us a little souvenir money

Thanks for the review. I did have a question about bringing soda on board. If I'm understanding correctly, you placed the baggage tag on the outside of the 12 pack and not in your luggage and it was delivered to your room? We'll be on Allure this Sunday and I had planned to do the same, which we did when we sailed Freedom in August and the 12 pack was delivered. I had been debating whether or not to go with this method or place it in a checked bag or our carry on (rolling... definitely not going to carry that sucker!) because I have read that others were unsuccessful at Port Everglades when sending a 12 pack through with a baggage tag on it...

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time. Pretty soon you'll be logging more miles on the sea, to be sure. If you could elaborate about the food a little more, that would be helpful. Did you dine in the MDR all week or did you try some of the other dining options? Which did you like? Did you dine at the asian restaurant? I'm especially interested in that as we both like asian cuisine but I can't seem to find a menu anywhere.

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time. Pretty soon you'll be logging more miles on the sea, to be sure. If you could elaborate about the food a little more, that would be helpful. Did you dine in the MDR all week or did you try some of the other dining options? Which did you like? Did you dine at the asian restaurant? I'm especially interested in that as we both like asian cuisine but I can't seem to find a menu anywhere.

Because of our three kids, we didn't eat in any of the speciality restaurants. Friends of ours did .... they were not impressed with Chops, but they did greatly enjoy the Asian as well as the Italian restaurants.

We often just ate a "brunch" .... a meal later in the morning, would then have a snack in the afternoon and then had 6pm MDR ressies. All the food at Park Cafe is really good, not just the roast beef sandwiches. The MDR food is good. I wasn't expecting it to be amazing and it wasn't, but certainly good enough. They are feeding tons of people, after all. We also ate in the Concierge Lounge a few times and that was yummy. Our 12 year old was a big fan of a certain sandwich they made at the Wipeout Cafe. So it is just fun trying everything out and finding favorites. :)

Yes, we just placed one of our sticky baggage tags on the actual soda box. There was no disguising what it was! :p Again, I wasn't sure it would make it and I know it is a chance, but it worked for us.

Thanks for the confirmation... Of course you never know what your personal experience will hold, but it's good to know it's worked for others. We have the same opinion - if it makes it, great... if it doesn't, we're really not out that much. Just hoping that a group of thirsty porters doesn't decide it'll make for a nice personal refreshment!

Thanks for the review! We will be on Oasis June 25. Did you use the zip line, and were there lines? Was the FLASH MOB day one, meaning the first full day at sea? I think that would be very cool to see! Was it in the cruise compass, do you know?

Do you know, Is the show Hairspray, and is it going to still be on board in June? Thanks for the info on where to watch the diving show, for a different perspective. And for the info that a 12pack of water was no issue! :D cruisedivanj

Thanks for the review! We will be on Oasis June 25. Did you use the zip line, and were there lines? Was the FLASH MOB day one, meaning the first full day at sea? I think that would be very cool to see! Was it in the cruise compass, do you know?

Do you know, Is the show Hairspray, and is it going to still be on board in June? Thanks for the info on where to watch the diving show, for a different perspective. And for the info that a 12pack of water was no issue! :D cruisedivanj

The flash mob was the afternoon we got on ... Saturday. The Cruise Compass will count that as day 1. And no, it is not listed in the CC and I got the feeling, from looking around, that we might have been the only ones standing there, waiting for it to happen. Of course, others were nearby, just by chance, and got to see it.

My hubby and son did the zipline in Labadee so the Oasis one didn't appeal to them after that. So no, they didn't do it, but there were NO lines. I got the impression you could do it as often as you wanted.

I don't know if the show will be Hairspray in June, but I would assume so. They have put a lot of time, effort and $$ into producing the show.

I was hoping it wasnt day one. Id like to catch it, but thats not a time we would typicaaly be near the promenade.

I have zip lined in Labadee and loved it so Im looking at the one on Oasis as a good fix, if I dont do it again on Labadee. My kids were also questionng me why I was looking fwd to the zip line on Oasis when I have already zip lined on better ones!

Waiting patiently to book entertainment...something we never had to do in 10 cruises!

cruisedivanj

What and where is the FLASH MOB - I will be on the Oasis in July and have never heard of it. Thanks.

What and where is the FLASH MOB - I will be on the Oasis in July and have never heard of it. Thanks.

We (DD) is very interested in seeing this too! the OP's first post mentioned it being on the Promenade sometime between 4:15 and 4:45 on embarkation day (Im guessing right before Sail Away)..We cant wait. Im going to see if there is any video of it on youtube! :D cruisedivanj

Flash Mob on Allure :

Look for "Mob Dance Class" in the Cruise Compass.

There was no dance mob class in the Oasis Cruise Compass when I sailed, although maybe they will add it. So this is a separate event. I obsessively studied the CC - my family thought I was a bit nuts! - so I am sure of this. But, of course, things change. I think if you subtly asked someone a guest relations about it, they would give you a more definitive time for Saturday. I wish I could remember, but the first few hours on board were a wonderful blur! :p

I just watched the youtube link you provided from Allure and that is the same idea, although the staff on Oasis were all dressed in "street clothes" and no uniforms as they appear to be wearing on Allure. No biggie, of course, just noting. :) Same music, etc. Someone in the kid's club registration table will know the details on this .... ask there!

I booked the horseback riding independently .... I can't remember the name of the company now. The jungle ride was $30pp. It was NOT good for many reasons. Horses undernourished, guide hardly spoke English and didn't speak with us, garbage everywhere in the "jungle", etc. But, I have heard that the horseback riding booked through RCI for around $89pp is really good. Lesson learned again: you get what you pay for!

Im wondering why it is not in the cruise compass' Ive been reading through either. Well, it must have been at some point, probably something they tried out in the compass on Allure. Great idea Royal! [maybe all those line dancing classes listed were in disguise! hehe] :D

cruisedivanj

Archived