Formal night and 2 boys ages 7 and 9

fsugurl

I need suggestions on attire for my 7 and 9 year old boys. I can't imagine having to fight them to wear a suit to dinner. Do you think khakis and a nice button down shirt will be acceptable or should we do the whole suit/tie dressup thing?

Thanks guys!

My son has worn khakis and a nice button down shirt to the elegant night dinners on all of our cruises. I try to get him to do loafer type shoes with the outfit. I win most of the time. But, he's worn tennis shoes a couple of times. On our Legend cruise he wore a polo shirt the second elegant night - no one had a problem with it. I saw some men that were dressed much worse.

The dress code is the dress code- there isn't one for kids and one for adults. Khakis and a buttoned shirt really aren't even close to the spirit of formal. Why not teach your kids about appropriate attire?

My 14 month old wore a tux for formal night and we got beautiful photos and he looked great.

The dress code is the dress code- there isn't one for kids and one for adults. Khakis and a buttoned shirt really aren't even close to the spirit of formal. Why not teach your kids about appropriate attire?

My 14 month old wore a tux for formal night and we got beautiful photos and he looked great.

The OP is sailing on Carnival. The dress code on Carnival is more casual. Formal night is now Elegant night and the clothes the OP described is well within the dress code. It is exactly what my DS wears and he fits right in. OP I would just consider if you want some formal pictures and have your family dress to your (and Carnival's) specifications...not someone elses opinions.

We usually take 2 prs of long dark pants (hides any stains), and two collared shirts, one, a more casual plaid and the other, a long sleeve dress shirt. On formal nights, they added a tie, but otherwise they dressed it or down depending on the night. We also took a belt, dark shoes and several pairs of black socks. There were nights that our youngest (he was 5 at the time) insisted on wearing his tie even though it was a casual night. So cute.

Do what works for your family, your budget and your cruise.

The OP is cruising Carnival, what they are suggesting works perfectly for elegant night.

It is one thing to get a 14 month old dressed up, but it is a totally different ball game when they are a stronged willed 3 year old or self conscious 6 year old. My oldest would wear whatever I put on him until he was about 4 yrs old and found out he had an opinion!

To answer your original question, a dress shirt and khaki pants sounds perfect. We were on NCL and this is what my 2 boys wore to dress up or not night. Our family photo looks great and represents the boys the way they really are, not the way I want them to look.

In December my boys (4 and 6) wore matching long sleeve turquoise sweaters and Kelly's Kids madras shorts on a Holland America formal night and really looked cute.

As far as formal wear on children - I think a tux or even a dark suit would look silly on a child on a cruise.

Next week I'll probably do my older in khaki pants/gingham button down. At almost 7 I don't think he's old enough for a blazer.

I cruise Carnival and my husband and 7 YO son wear suits and ties. My 11 YO daughter and I wear formal dresses, see picture below. I think it's important to teach my kids how to dress for the occasion and since I've been doing it since they were young, they have no problem with it. Nothing wrong with exercising parental authority and having everyone looking good as a result.

Hi, FSU Girl! Saw this was your post! :D

My 11 year old son wears exactly what you are describing on ELEGANT night, and he has on his previous 13 cruises on 3 different cruise lines- khakis, long sleeved button down (he wears a tie), dark dress socks, and brown leather shoes. My daughter wears a nice dress and shoes- sometimes it has been a more dressy party dress than others- this time it will be just a nice dress that she is excited to wear. I have always thought they looked wonderful, completely fit in, and looking around the dining room, the other children are usually dressed more like him than in suits. HOWEVER, the difference is I think the kids in the suits also look wonderful! I've never judged the other families for not teaching one how to "dress appropriately". My husband wears a tux and I wear a formal dress. I do exercise parental authority and feel everyone DOES look good as a result. ;)

See you on board with our khaki-dressed boys, FSU! :)

Hi, FSU Girl! Saw this was your post! :D

My 11 year old son wears exactly what you are describing on ELEGANT night, and he has on his previous 13 cruises on 3 different cruise lines- khakis, long sleeved button down (he wears a tie), dark dress socks, and brown leather shoes. My daughter wears a nice dress and shoes- sometimes it has been a more dressy party dress than others- this time it will be just a nice dress that she is excited to wear. I have always thought they looked wonderful, completely fit in, and looking around the dining room, the other children are usually dressed more like him than in suits. HOWEVER, the difference is I think the kids in the suits also look wonderful! I've never judged the other families for not teaching one how to "dress appropriately". My husband wears a tux and I wear a formal dress. I do exercise parental authority and feel everyone DOES look good as a result. ;)

See you on board with our khaki-dressed boys, FSU! :)

Love it!! Thanks for the tip! You can never go wrong with khaki! Go Noles! Scalp 'em! :D:D:D

I cruise Carnival and my husband and 7 YO son wear suits and ties. My 11 YO daughter and I wear formal dresses, see picture below. I think it's important to teach my kids how to dress for the occasion and since I've been doing it since they were young, they have no problem with it. Nothing wrong with exercising parental authority and having everyone looking good as a result.

Your family is adorable! Great picture! :)

Archived