Kids clothing in MDR

TwoSue

We're sailing on our first cruise next week with our two kids, age 10 and 13. I'm trying to keep the luggage to a minimum because besides the fact that I don't want to pay for the luggage for our flight, we'll be traveling through Florida for five days following the cruise in a Mid-Sized car and won't be able to fit a ton of suitcases!

So, my question is if the kids can wear nice t-shirts to the MDR on regular nights. We've got the elegant nights taken care of, but I'd rather not pack extra collared shirts for my son (which he doesn't even own) if I don't have to. We definitely want to do the MDR rather than the buffet.

We're sailing on our first cruise next week with our two kids, age 10 and 13. I'm trying to keep the luggage to a minimum because besides the fact that I don't want to pay for the luggage for our flight, we'll be traveling through Florida for five days following the cruise in a Mid-Sized car and won't be able to fit a ton of suitcases!

So, my question is if the kids can wear nice t-shirts to the MDR on regular nights. We've got the elegant nights taken care of, but I'd rather not pack extra collared shirts for my son (which he doesn't even own) if I don't have to. We definitely want to do the MDR rather than the buffet.

Sure, you'll see adults wearing them too

From Carnival...

Dining Room - Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code

• Gentlemen: sport slacks; khakis; jeans (no cut-offs); dress shorts (long); collared sport shirts
  • Ladies: casual dresses; casual skirts; casual pants; blouses; summer dresses; Capri pants; dress shorts; jeans (no cut-offs)

Not permitted in the dining room: gym shorts; basketball shorts; beach flip-flops; bathing suit attire; cut-off jeans; sleeveless shirts for men; baseball hats.

Dining Room - Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code

• Gentlemen: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to bring suits and ties or tuxedos.
  • Ladies: cocktail dresses; pantsuits; elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to bring evening gowns.

Not permitted in the dining room: shorts; T-shirts; beach flip-flops; bathing suit attire; jeans; cut-off jeans; sleeveless shirts for men; sportswear; baseball hats.

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DiningOnboard_master.html

:)

Ts are not stretching it at all on regular evenings - these will be absolutely fine as long as they are not muscle shirts. As long as they are clean when they enter - I am a slob so they usually are not as clean coming out. You will be fine

I had my boys wear collared shirts and khakis, they wore the outfit to dinner and then changed after. I think those that had anything but on looked out of place. And it is nice to have the boys look so presentable.

T-shirts are fine for non elegant days. I know many people on these boards prefer for it not to be the case, but Carnival's policy is much more relaxed and your sons will be fine with a nice t-shirt in the MDR, as stated in the guidelines. I wish I had taken pics of what people wore on our recent Dream cruise - it would have put your mind totally at ease.

Off course it would have opened a can of worms, once again, to those who want to change the Carnival rules to their personal preference :D You will not experience any of the criticism on the cruise, as you find on these boards.

We had our son wear $5 golf shirts from WalMart - and he was one of the best dressed 6-year olds in the dining room.

and that's how most parents would want their kids to look.... :rolleyes:

We like to teach our child there are more important things in life than what you look like or how expensive the clothes are you wear. Man, you can buy a brand name T-shirt with holes in it and pay $50 for it!

As long as you follow the rules, that is fine. Rules state: No T-shirts on elegant night. Other nights, they are fine.

If the rules on Carnival don't suit you, I would suggest you try a different cruise line. There is something for everyone out there. Happy cruising! :D We sure enjoy each and every one of them!

We like to teach our child there are more important things in life than what you look like or how expensive the clothes are you wear. Man, you can buy a brand name T-shirt with holes in it and pay $50 for it!

As long as you follow the rules, that is fine. Rules state: No T-shirts on elegant night. Other nights, they are fine.

If the rules on Carnival don't suit you, I would suggest you try a different cruise line. There is something for everyone out there. Happy cruising! :D We sure enjoy each and every one of them!

i'm sorry you equate expensive with nice. how sad.

worse that you are teaching them the unimportance of what you look like.

i'm sorry you equate expensive with nice. how sad.

That is exactly what you seem to be doing :D:D:D That was because you made the comment that the golf shirt my son was wearing is not appropriate in your book either, as per your statement in your previous post. How do you even know what a $5 golf shirt from WM looks like?

Anyway. I know you like to ruffle feathers on CC and you must feel pretty sour that you cannot win this argument - rules are rules.

OP, this is not what people act like on the ship. We had a great time and nobody ever said anything about what we wore. Enjoy planning. Case closed :)

That is exactly what you seem to be doing :D:D:D That was because you made the comment that the golf shirt my son was wearing is not appropriate in your book either, as per your statement in your previous post. How do you even know what a $5 golf shirt from WM looks like?

maybe you should reread my post. never said there was anything wrong with a golf shirt, and you felt he was the best dressed. i was giving you kudos,

APDMom is exactly correct. The dress code does not exclude t shirts on casual nights. You are on vacation, don't worry about it! Enjoy!

Actually it does. It specifies collared shirt. I am sure he would not be the only one in a Tshirt but one or two polo shirts would not drastically increase your luggage. Is he wearing a dress shirt with a tie on elegant night? He could wear it without the tie on casual night.

My boys wore polo shirts (from Target btw) and they were dressed the way I wanted them. They wear these same shirts for school pics, church, local concerts, etc. so they get plenty of use. Below are some examples...

Pic #1- My boys on embarkation day. They wore those shirts and I had them change into pants for dinner.

Pic #2- Elegant night.

P1040315.jpg.17aac00b228d38615ed16718528a62c9.jpg

P1040477.jpg.746f0b8d7eac3a094a40a73deb0ea15e.jpg

Host Mach showed the "rules"

Gentlemen: sport slacks; khakis; jeans (no cut-offs); dress shorts (long); collared sport shirts

Ladies: casual dresses; casual skirts; casual pants; blouses; summer dresses; Capri pants; dress shorts; jeans (no cut-offs)

Not permitted in the dining room: gym shorts; basketball shorts; beach flip-flops; bathing suit attire; cut-off jeans; sleeveless shirts for men; baseball hats.

It is sad that so many people complain about what others wear and yet they break the "rules". A collared sport shirt (Polo shirt not tee shirt) is clearly stated. YES you will see losts of people in the MDR with tees on but do you really want to teach your children that they don't have to follow the rules just because others aren't? Roll the polo, it will take up about the same space as a pair of tighty whites. Enjoy your cruise.Have fun with the kids.

Host Mach showed the "rules"

Gentlemen: sport slacks; khakis; jeans (no cut-offs); dress shorts (long); collared sport shirts

Ladies: casual dresses; casual skirts; casual pants; blouses; summer dresses; Capri pants; dress shorts; jeans (no cut-offs)

It is sad that so many people complain about what others wear and yet they break the "rules". A collared sport shirt (Polo shirt not tee shirt) is clearly stated. YES you will see losts of people in the MDR with tees on but do you really want to teach your children that they don't have to follow the rules just because others aren't? Roll the polo, it will take up about the same space as a pair of tighty whites. Enjoy your cruise.Have fun with the kids.

I agree rules should be followed. The rules clearly state t-shirts are not allowed on elegant night. Read the second part of Host Mach's post.

in the rules on casual is show what should be worn, on elegant, what not to be worn. On what is to be worn...per the rules...collared shirt, it does not say the t shirts are fine.....per the rules..

OP....no one will say anything. That being said, because you know that they prefer collared shirts would you really be able to enjoy your time in the MDR? I like to scrapbook, so we take lots of pics.....the people who look at the photos all love and point out and smile when they see our son through the years in dressed up attire. It is not only your memories that you are creating.....think into the future when your son shows his kids the pics of you all on your family cruise....how do you want them to see your kids?

in the rules on casual is show what should be worn, on elegant, what not to be worn. On what is to be worn...per the rules...collared shirt, it does not say the t shirts are fine.....per the rules..

?

Actually, please read the rules again. For EACH kind of night it has a set of rules of what to wear and what not to wear. Look carefully at Host Mach's post. I know it is left up for interpretation and maybe Carnival should clarify. If we interpret too closely, we would say that button up shirts with ties are NOT allowed on casual night because it is not listed.

All I know is that while on Carnival Dream, they did not say anything about t-shirts on casual nights, but the Maitr'd did ask a guy not to wear his baseball cap. I can see both sides of the argument, but I firmly believe, based on the way rules are stated on the website and lack of enforcement by the Maitr'd, that Carnival allows T-shirts in the MDR. If Carnival comes back and tells us we are wrong, I will gladly concede and apologize. ;)

That's why I was asking... I read the rules and although they specifically put t-shirts on the list of "don'ts" on Elegant night, they are not listed on the don't for casual nights.

Don't get too hung up on buying them new clothes if the cruise is the only place they'll ever wear them. When we took our kids on their first cruise they were 10, 13 & 13 and we made sure they had enough "nice/appropriate" attire for the dining room each night. Well, guess what?! They had so much fun in the kids clubs, they only dined with us on the first night and the elegant night! Seeing as your kids are the same ages ours were, it's totally possible they may rather dine with their new friends at the buffet!!! This works for some families, others do enjoy all dining together, though. For our cruise this month, we've told the kids we'd like to eat as a family on the 2 "elegant nights" and that was a nice compromise for our family. Whatever you decide, it is your vacation, so enjoy!!! You will see a huge variety of clothing choices throughout, it's all part of the enjoyment of cruising!

I let my kids dress casually most of the time, so when I say it's time to dress up, they just go with the flow. Before our last cruise, I took the kids shopping and let them pick out their ties, etc. They thought they were cool in their matching black dress shirts and matching burgundy ties. The school band happened to change the dress code for concerts and my oldest wore the new tie several times this year. He actually likes wearing it because he knows he looks good all dressed up. :)

When we go out to eat around town, I have them put on a collared shirt. They just know that's what I expect. They don't fuss at all. It isn't about the dress code of that restaurant, it's about how I would like us to present ourselves. If other kids around us are in t-shirts, I don't mind. That's their mom's decision.

Archived