No Nodding Off on Mariner

msmillie

Two nights ago, Saturday, April 2nd, we were entertained by Ray Solaire and his gang of dancers and singers with “The Last Tango in Grimley;” a British-Style Sex-Comedy in four short acts. This hilarious 30 minute performance was presented in the early evening just before dinner which was a fun start to the evening. Last night, Ray Solaire was again on the stage with “He’s Got The World On A String”, accompanied by the Regent Signature Orchestra. The audience was wide awake for last night’s show included Ray’s humor, wonderful singing voice, and very special puppet friends. Today, Ray was out with the passengers directing traffic. Ray is a very special Cruise Director and Regent and Regent passengers are really lucky to have this super gentleman.

Two nights ago, Saturday, April 2nd, we were entertained by Ray Solaire and his gang of dancers and singers with “The Last Tango in Grimley;” a British-Style Sex-Comedy in four short acts. This hilarious 30 minute performance was presented in the early evening just before dinner which was a fun start to the evening. Last night, Ray Solaire was again on the stage with “He’s Got The World On A String”, accompanied by the Regent Signature Orchestra. The audience was wide awake for last night’s show included Ray’s humor, wonderful singing voice, and very special puppet friends. Today, Ray was out with the passengers directing traffic. Ray is a very special Cruise Director and Regent and Regent passengers are really lucky to have this super gentleman.

We started sailing with Ray...over 14 years ago, on a different cruise line.

We have seen ALL of his shows MANY MANY times & would never miss seeing him.. He is a brilliant artist as well as a magnificent human being.:p

I was with Ray on a 21 night segment last year in South America as well as shorter cruises before this. He is old school, devoted, ever working, and SO talented. Loved his puppets, and generally just everything about his style as a Cruise Director.

Ray is one of a kind. I respect and admire him beyond words. Simply awesome. The puppet show, which I thought I'd hate, is magnificent. What a star!!!!!!!!! I think this amazing guy is well into his 70s.

correction.. Ray is in his early 60's another fact in which you might be interested.. he makes all his puppets completely

Loghl - During a Trivia session in early December, Ray disclosed that he was in his 70's. The question was: What are the combined ages of Capt. McNeil, Donald Cant (the singer who was on board at the time), and me? When he later stated the correct answer (my team was closest to the total and won that question), Ray in effect declared his age, as I knew the precise ages of Donald and Capt. McNeil. I don't recall exactly where it was in the 70's, something like 74.

He told us over cocktails one evening that he designs and fabricates his marvelous puppets himself. Hmm, does he bring a sewing machine on board with him??!! We forgot to ask him, as we were busy begging him to drop the Harry Potter questions from Trivia.

Ray actually made age a humorous issue throughout our cruise. Each day at the noon captain's announcement Ray and Captain John McNeill would get on the intercom and spar with each other about who was older. It was delightful banter. Ray would introduce Captain McNeill (who I consider the best of the Regent captains) as "the old man of the sea." McNeill would respond in kind all in good fun. Clearly the two like each other immensely. I think everyone on the ship enjoyed their friendly and spirited exchanges.

Archived