Item

npsh

First of all we are dedicated NCL cruisers due mainly to the freestyle concept. Recently, close friends asked if we would be interested in joining them for a 7 day Caribbean trip this coming fall and I do believe it will be with Celebrity or RCCL, not sure. Suit/shirt/tie is not on for me during a vacation; don’t care where/who/what on – bar none, end of story. I don’t want to touch off a rant on formal nights/dress on the RCCL or Celebrity sites so I am not going over there. If one wore a nice pair of dress slacks and a dress shirt would that get me by at this formal stuff, do many dress as such, would I be in a small minority? I have been reading that formal nights are getting a little more relaxed(ie no jacket and a tie) Our friends are into the dress stuff and can’t understand me but too bad for them. Cruise NCL I advise, that’s where I want to be.

Ok that makes two of us ! I am a diamond member on Royal Caribbean and I have never worn anything but nice slacks and a nice blouse on formal night ! I have never once felt out of place. I don't believe in wearing anything like jeans on formal night, but what I wear to me is perfectly fine. Youar on vacation and whatever makes youcomfortable is all that matters ! I figure some people like to wear formals and Tux, which is great too ! I actually have friends that love to dress up and they do, which is great for them ! Enjoy your cruise and you will love Royal Caribbean !

First of all we are dedicated NCL cruisers due mainly to the freestyle concept. Recently, close friends asked if we would be interested in joining them for a 7 day Caribbean trip this coming fall and I do believe it will be with Celebrity or RCCL, not sure. Suit/shirt/tie is not on for me during a vacation; don’t care where/who/what on – bar none, end of story. I don’t want to touch off a rant on formal nights/dress on the RCCL or Celebrity sites so I am not going over there. If one wore a nice pair of dress slacks and a dress shirt would that get me by at this formal stuff, do many dress as such, would I be in a small minority? I have been reading that formal nights are getting a little more relaxed(ie no jacket and a tie) Our friends are into the dress stuff and can’t understand me but too bad for them. Cruise NCL I advise, that’s where I want to be.

Ummmmm, you quite possibly did touch off a rant since your post ended up on the FASHION BOARD.;)

Formal night getting a little more relaxed with no jacket and tie? That's an oxymoron. Like someone said, the dress code will more likely be enforced on Celebrity.

Sooooo tired of people trying to make a dress code what they want it to be.

The fashion board people are generally a whole lot nicer tha line specific boards, so you are in the right place by asking here.

On RCI you can get by with a shirt and slacks if that's what you want to do. You will be in the minority but certainly not alone. I have not cruised on Celebrity in years but when I did the formal nights jackets for men were enforced . There are always alternate places to eat on cruise ships, such as the buffet or specialty restaurants.

Leave yourself open to different lines and ships, you will be pleasantly surprised at how nice some of them are. Out of the 7 or so lines we have cruised NCL is at the bottom of our list for food, almost at the bottom for decor, we thought their service and entertainment was good but we ended up spending a lot on specialty restaurants to get an edible meal. We have cruiesed NCL twice, so I don't think it was a fluke, the cruises were 4 years apart.

I understaqnd wanting to cruise with friends; and I understand how your friends and you can have different views on what to do on vacation. We have friends that are very relaxed in their dress... we enjoy dressing appropriately for formal nights. And, yes, appropriately means that to arrive in the MDR means that you will observe the requested dress on board the ship.

So, here's my question? Are you tied at the hip to your friends for all meals while on board?

Because you have several options. I have sailed both Celebrity and RCCL, so I would tell you that on formal nights... you could... eat in the buffet, eat in a specialty restaurant, order room service and have a celebratory meal in your stateroom (I'm talking about the "special" service meal that comes with a beautiful presentation).

Keep in mind that on formal nights you will have the Captain's Reception, etc. Since you haven't cruised with Celebrity or RCCL before, you won't be expected to dress for any of the loyalty events.

When we go with our friends who dress more relaxed, we are very aware of their preferences and don't invite them to events where they will be embarassed or we will be embarassed; i.e., we wouldn't take them to an Easter brunch at a country club where the dress code clearly states that no jeans are allowed in the dining room. Don't you think it's appropriate that you take the same kind of consideration with you on your vacation? That you don't do anything that would embarass your friends? I think you could have a great time on either Celebrity or RCCL... and if that includes not putting on a tie... then I think you could do the appropriate planning to seek out your alternatives to remain out of the MDR. IMO.

Like mentioned above, you posted on the FASHION board. Perhaps you would experience different opinions if you posted on either the Celebrity or RCCL boards?

Thanks folks.......... all good commentary from individuals with more cruising experience than me.

We decided to stick with we are quite comfortable with and enjoy the most - a relaxed atmosphere as provided by NCL and their freestyle concept. A shirt/tie/suit is not a requirement nor is it even discussed.

I shouldn't have brought this topic up and apologies for doing so.

Cheers

NPSH

:o

Thanks folks.......... all good commentary from individuals with more cruising experience than me.

We decided to stick with we are quite comfortable with and enjoy the most - a relaxed atmosphere as provided by NCL and their freestyle concept. A shirt/tie/suit is not a requirement nor is it even discussed.

I shouldn't have brought this topic up and apologies for doing so.

Cheers

NPSH

:o

No apologies are neccessary and I believe everyone is entitled to thier own personal opinions. I do find it interesting that you think NCL is so much more casual than other lines. Perhaps on formal nights, yes, but from most other cruises we've been on, it's all just normal, every day people, no fashionistas at all at other times, even casual night dinners.

Other lines have similar programs for dining just like NCL, My Time Dining on RCI or Anytime Dining on Princess, where you have no set dinner time. The big difference (to me) is that the food is so much better on other lines.

Higher end lines like Oceania and Azamara don't have formal nights...wish I could afford those lines :o I'm probably the opposite of you, though. While formal night isn't all that impressive to me any longer (really semi-formal at its best), I like to dress nicely for dinner. I could wear cocktail dresses every night on a cruise. I doubt though that I could get my husband in a sportscoat and tie every single night. But he dresses nicely as well, he doesn't mind nice slacks and a silk shirt at all, finds it very comfortable.

Edited by Happy ks

No apologies are neccessary and I believe everyone is entitled to thier own personal opinions. I do find it interesting that you think NCL is so much more casual than other lines. Perhaps on formal nights, yes, but from most other cruises we've been on, it's all just normal, every day people, no fashionistas at all at other times, even casual night dinners.

Other lines have similar programs for dining just like NCL, My Time Dining on RCI or Anytime Dining on Princess, where you have no set dinner time. The big difference (to me) is that the food is so much better on other lines.

Higher end lines like Oceania and Azamara don't have formal nights...wish I could afford those lines :o I'm probably the opposite of you, though. While formal night isn't all that impressive to me any longer (really semi-formal at its best), I like to dress nicely for dinner. I could wear cocktail dresses every night on a cruise. I doubt though that I could get my husband in a sportscoat and tie every single night. But he dresses nicely as well, he doesn't mind nice slacks and a silk shirt at all, finds it very comfortable.

Thanks for your commentary. No doubt you are correct in your assessment on other cruise lines and their flexibility. I consider a cruise a vacation and as a consequence, we like to dress in our vacation attire – jeans/t-shirt and sandals. What NCL allows us is the flexibility to dress as such in all of their dining facilities any time we feel in each and every day we are on their ships. We also have the flexibility of dining when we want, not at the standard traditional times of 6.30 or 8.30 and as well, we don`t have to sit at the same table with the same people. I don`t think other cruise lines like RCCL and Celebrity offer this degree of cruise style. Food is subjective (to us) and I have read and indeed heard in conversation from those who cruised with the more traditional lines and with NCL, the traditional lines are more upscale and the quality is higher. I suspect this statement is true. As vacationers, dining to us is not the reason we cruise, although it is certainly an important aspect. There were times on our Dawn trip we were happy with a good ole cheeseburger, washing it down with a tall Stella-Artois on the main deck of the ship. Of course, a couple of evening dinners at Cagney`s complimented with a Chassagne-Montrachet (I couldn`t get one) or a Barolo (which I did get) was one of the highlights of our entire Dawn cruise. An after dinner single malt (pinch of water, ice is a no-no) for me and a Disaronno on ice for her Both MDRs were satisfactory as well in our opinion. No shirt and tie or suit and evening cocktail dress required at any time thorought………….

I just have to put in my "2 cents!" I used to feel just like you do about formal nights. In fact, the 2nd cruise we took, we didn't go to the MDR because I was so set on being "on vacation" and not wanting to dress up. So, the next cruise (Celebrity) we decided to just try dressing up for one time. We actually enjoyed a bit of dressing up, since we don't get a chance to do that at home. So, ever since, we have enjoyed this part of cruising. We do not dress FORMAL. MY DH wears decent pants, a long sleeved dress shirt and a sport coat and tie--but he would be fine without the coat and tie. I wear my Formal night "uniform" of decent black pants and a top. One of my tops is a really thin fabric with a little tank top under it. I also have a black strappy top that has a bit of glitter. I've also worn one of those $10-15 stoles with a bit of bling. Not really formal, but a bit dressy. You will see lots of other people dressed like that--as well as tuxes and long, formals. We do "Anytime Dining" most of the time in the MDR. Try it one time with your friends--it will be an adventure!

npsh I still think you are over thinking this whole casual thing. I see you have cruised other lines, has it been a while?

We started cruising in 1998 and the difference from then till now is huge. Jeans are acceptable on RCI and Princess in the dining rooms and with choosing the ATD or MTD you do not have to go at a set time and you do not have to sit with strangers.

We don't cruise for the food, either, it's typical banquet food to us...edible but not memorable, even then your favorite cruise line comes up way short for us. I do have to say that NCL's specialty dining at the extra cost was some of the best food we had at sea. Our second cruise with them we ate all but one dinner in the specialty dining rooms, we just budgeted for it that cruise. The one dinner we didn't pay extra for was a regret...I think we went from there to the buffet it was so inedible.

We love being on a ship at sea and we prefer understated to glaring colors and lights. We also like to keep our options open to other lines. So far we've cruised 7 different lines and will choose more in the future. So for us, the itinerary means a lot, size of ship is important (we find we prefer smaller ships) and clothing choices don't impact our decision. We may choose NCL in the future, depending on itinerary, we know now to only eat in the specialty restaurants on that line.

Happy ks..........

probably right in that I am thinking way too much on casualness on other lines. The thoughts of a suit/shirt/tie while I vacation, just gives me the shudders, even talking about it. Only thing is, I don't like to be restricted in what I can wear( within reason and good taste - I would never think of trying to get into a formal setting in my jeans/t-shirt) I just want to wander in all venues at any time whenever I feel like it in my very casual attire.

Happy ks..........

probably right in that I am thinking way too much on casualness on other lines. The thoughts of a suit/shirt/tie while I vacation, just gives me the shudders, even talking about it. Only thing is, I don't like to be restricted in what I can wear( within reason and good taste - I would never think of trying to get into a formal setting in my jeans/t-shirt)I just want to wander in all venues at any time whenever I feel like it in my very casual attire.

There were plenty of people doing just that on RCCL and Celebrity even though Celebrity asks that people stay "dressed for the night" in all venues. That part is not inforced.:) Some even change after dinner to more casual attire.

Edited by iheartbda

I plan to wear my casual attire at all times no matter where so Celebrity isn't the place for me. No shirt/tie /suit for me at all - just jeans/tshirt/sandals and on occasion shorts. NCL is my line..........

• 2 years later...

I'm just confused why anyone would knowingly want to be ON a cruiseline that has a long history of being on the side of "formal", and huge numbers of paying guests sailing on the ships BECAUSE of this ambiance. I'm one of those people.

Carnival on the other hand, is known to be much more laid back and relaxed, no expectations on the formalwear, and the huge following of guests they have LOVE THAT about that cruise line. I know I would not enjoy the dining experience as much there as I would on Celebrity, dressing up is FUN for me, so I therefore wouldn't spend a week on one of Carnival's cruises.

THEREFORE, why would anyone that detests the known "dressier" atmosphere of a certain ship, be ON IT? and why do the rest of the guests have to be made to feel bad about it?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

I'm just confused why anyone would knowingly want to be ON a cruiseline that has a long history of being on the side of "formal", and huge numbers of paying guests sailing on the ships BECAUSE of this ambiance. I'm one of those people.

Carnival on the other hand, is known to be much more laid back and relaxed, no expectations on the formalwear, and the huge following of guests they have LOVE THAT about that cruise line. I know I would not enjoy the dining experience as much there as I would on Celebrity, dressing up is FUN for me, so I therefore wouldn't spend a week on one of Carnival's cruises.

THEREFORE, why would anyone that detests the known "dressier" atmosphere of a certain ship, be ON IT? and why do the rest of the guests have to be made to feel bad about it?

You do realize this thread is almost three years old?

I read my posts and still agree with them. I'd never choose a cruise line dependant on the casual atmosphere. Especially a main stream line as they're pretty much all the same any more.

The big difference for us is now, 3 years later, we leave our suit and cocktail dresses at home. We still dress nicely, but now go to the specialty restaurants on formal nights. Love it.

I do know that its three years old, but i think lots of people still struggle with the same issues. Don't get me wrong please! I am a Windjammer at heart an ALWAYS will be! I only started on these "grown up" boats (lol) when my husband and I met, and then later married. HE loves all that a large ship assures him, and also is a 5star hotel kinda guy. Not sure how, but we make it work, we compromise. As long as I get to a wonderful quiet beach on each island, I'm happy!

In the beginning on these ships, I hated the crowds once back on board, was like being on a floating city. I dressed up just the once or twice for formal nights, but preferred the buffet other nights for the privacy.

The last time we went a couple years ago turned my head. The cruise is 1/2 the experience, I was missing something . So I decided to embrace it instead og fight it, see how that would feel instead. Couldn't hurt?!

I dressed up EVERY NIGHT! I made a point to intermingle with most everyone we met. Ya know, it was the MOST rewarding, fulfilling trip I've been on, I think I really been missing the mark by trying to NOT try to embrace the traditions of the particular ships that we've ended up on.

I should have been on a much more casual ship if I trully wanted to stay casual, thats all I'm saying.

If the Windjammer line was still afloat, I wouldn't even be here writing this!! Lol! This isn't a "judgement" thing, just personal experience.

When in Rome, as they say!! I just hope "newbies" won't be afraid to give it a try and just GO FOR IT, it's vacation! :D

e5e2u2y4.jpg