Our next cruise?!

timothy998

We've only been home for two days yet we're already considering options for our next cruise.

The Mediterranean sounds awesome, but so are the prices...and potential airfares. The longer Caribbean cruises also look great, but we're stuck doing that over Christmas break (youngest is currently 5) and having to bring Santa aboard.

Then we have the affordability factor. We booked both our cruises using accumulated hotel rewards points, and it will at least be a year before we know whether we have enough for a future cruise.

We've become spoiled with the VE cabins, and are looking at 10- to 14-day options, primarily with HAL. Maybe we're being close-minded about wanting to stick with HAL, but we're only a couple of cruises away from Mariner 2-star status, plus we "know" HAL.

Any ideas or thoughts out there regarding what to consider? I know we have time, but even our Christmas breaks may be toast starting in 2012 as our oldest will be in high school with a possible basketball schedule to contend with. That would leave us going to Europe in the summer or moving to a different line in the summer as well, to the Caribbean.

I doubt we would book anything until next year, but we like to look ahead a bit. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Airfare to Europe is very steep in the summer. It runs anywhere from $1000 to $1100 per person. I am doing the Maasdam 7-night from Boston- Montreal in June and I am sure that is offered next summer as well. We are extending the trip 3 nights pre-cruise and 2 nights post cruise. This is an interesting itinerary and scenic.

It won't be cold in the summer in Boston or Montreal. My sons (age 10 and 23) love New England. Absolutely a crowd pleaser in the summer. Boston is a great city. We did the duck tour, hand a terrific lunch and great italian pastries in little Italy. Saw Cirque Du Soleil by the Harbor (in August 2010). Went to the Alphine slide in New Hampshire. Can't wait to see Quebec City and this time we are going to Cirque in Montreal. I think its a fabulous itinerary.

I love Europe though and your family would like the Roundtrip Venice cruise to Istanbul and back. You have an overnight onboard in Venice and then an overnight in Istanbul. This is a real adventure. It is on Holland America (Niew Amsterdam). It has a great teen area called the Oasis with Hammocks. Loved this cruise!

Very interesting. We are thinking "warm" versus cold...there's something about the warm Caribbean or Mediterranean!

being from Canada, I totally hear you. Caribbean can be reasonable all depending - ideally a back to back or a collectors cruise if you can do that with your children.

we love the Med and normally tag it with a transatlantic so we only have a one way flight over.

Do you plan to take your young one out of school or will you be restricted to school breaks?

If you will not be restricted to school breaks, then the Med in the fall is a lot more relaxed, flights can be a bit cheaper (points are even better), weather is still decent but you may need to layer.

The other suggestion of the Atlantic sailing is very nice. there is also one from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal which is quite nice. Tell us more and you will probably get so many suggestions your head will be spinning:)

Pick up or order some nice brochures from HAL and take a look.

There are so many nice choices - it is hard to select just one. So many cruises to choose from :):)

Thanks for the ideas. The "vote" from the kids & parents was a longer cruise than 7 days...so that is why we're looking at 10- to 14-days. Our 7-day cruise last week just was not quite long enough! I like some of the longer Caribbean cruises around the holidays, however...and if we were able to actually book the tickets using frequent flyer points, Europe would also be a great option.

Thanks for the ideas. The "vote" from the kids & parents was a longer cruise than 7 days...so that is why we're looking at 10- to 14-days. ... I like some of the longer Caribbean cruises around the holidays, however.
I can highly recommend the 10-day Sunfarer on the Zuiderdam. It includes a partial Panama Canal transit.

From what I've heard (read) the Sunfarer over Christmas is awesome with all the decorations all over the ship and the extra attention all the kids get from crew members missing their own kids at the Holidays.

Cheers!:)

Just curious since we are taking the family to Alaska. You said you had a VE. Was the whole family in one room . Are there four of you? If four in a room did you feel crowded?

There are five of us...thus we have to book two cabins on HAL...but it was still cheaper than a single cabin on Disney Cruise Line...go figure. With the extra space and extra bathroom, we didn't feel crowded at all.

Archived