Charleston SC Hotels

Potter2010

Even just for one night pre-cruise, is N. Charleston/Airport area really that bad?

We're driving in, so we *could* stay out at, say, Summerville. We should arrive in the area around 6-8pm or so.

We plan on parking at the port for the week since there are 4 of us going. We figure we don't have to be close to the port to save on cost of hotel, and because there are 4 of us, using a park and cruise rate + cost of shuttle isn't worth it to us, just to be close to the port.

I am *very* interested in hearing about any additional details on the supposed "gang" activity (in N. Charleston) eluded to earlier in this thread. Details, URL's, links to info?

GP

Even just for one night pre-cruise, is N. Charleston/Airport area really that bad?

We're driving in, so we *could* stay out at, say, Summerville. We should arrive in the area around 6-8pm or so.

We plan on parking at the port for the week since there are 4 of us going. We figure we don't have to be close to the port to save on cost of hotel, and because there are 4 of us, using a park and cruise rate + cost of shuttle isn't worth it to us, just to be close to the port.

I am *very* interested in hearing about any additional details on the supposed "gang" activity (in N. Charleston) eluded to earlier in this thread. Details, URL's, links to info?

GP

The North Charleston hotels that are in the Tanger outlet areas are safe close the the airport. It is River Avenue (east sections), Dorchester Road that you wouldn't catch me driving around at night.

Living here for the last 11 years I know from the local news broadcasts that most of the shootings are in North Charleston.

GP

The North Charleston hotels that are in the Tanger outlet areas are safe close the the airport. It is River Avenue (east sections), Dorchester Road that you wouldn't catch me driving around at night.

Living here for the last 11 years I know from the local news broadcasts that most of the shootings are in North Charleston.

So I guess we will be fine at Embassy Suites, which is right across from the Tanger outlets/near the airport.

Yes I had a friend stay there and it is a very nice hotel. You are close to the outlets as you say and there are plenty of restaurants over there too.

There is also a Walmart SuperCenter and Sam's Club if you need any last minute items.

Have a great cruise.

moobear67,

I agree with scchasgal... the Embassy Suites is right next to the N.C. Performing Arts/Convention Center and the N.C. Coliseum(actually there is an attached crosswalk from the convention center to the Embassy Suites). So there is more security.. but I don't consider this part of N.C. "scary" or something to be too concerned about. Along with Tanger Outlet, there are numerous restaurants along Tanger Outlet Drive...Jim and Nicks BBQ, 5 Guys Burgers, Fatz Cafe, McAlister's Deli, IHOP, a couple of Chinese/Japanese restaurants and a couple of fastfood places, along with a Super Walmart and Sams if needed.

Can't believe how quickly the time is flying by...ready for DD to finish up school and get on with the SUMMER!!

Thanks guys for the info...this helps A LOT!

I think we'll venture on in to the Tanger area, rather than stay in Summerville. Just curious, would you have any "issue" with staying in Summerville, if the price is considerably cheaper?

GP

One more question (at least, for now)...

Looking on Google Maps, it looks like perhaps the area inside the Mark Clark expressway and *east* of 26 is the "bad" area, but west of 26 is ok? There appear to be railroad tracks south of Tanger Outlet...perhaps that, too is a "dividing" line?

Seems like the intersection of Dorchester and Rivers is *only* about 2 miles from Tanger Outlet...Yikes! :eek:

Please reassure me? :confused:

Maybe Summerville *is* a better choice and only about 10 mins further out? Thoughts?

GP

GP,

The Summerville area for hotels is fine..it is about 15 min. further out..depending on traffic.. easy on/off access to I-26..2 big shopping centers/strips malls one with Target, Kohls, TJ Maxx or Marshalls etc and the other with Walmart, Belk etc... plenty of restaurants as well.

I am at the Tanger Outlet area at least once a week, feel perfectly safe, and my inlaws actually have stayed at that Embassy Suites and Hilton Garden Inn (they actually live here but had very early am flights) and just decided to spend the night at the hotels and take the shuttle to the airport on two different occassions.(they left their vehicle on premises)

My husband was a North Charleston police officer for 8 years and says you should be fine... just don't venture out alot further than the Tanger Outlet area..there are a few other hotels in that area as well.. Residence Inn, Holiday Inn, Hyatt, W Hotel and a few others..

So bottom line, if you get a much better rate, Summerville is fine or if you want to be a little closer in, the Tanger Outlet area is good.

GP,

The Summerville area for hotels is fine..it is about 15 min. further out..depending on traffic.. easy on/off access to I-26..2 big shopping centers/strips malls one with Target, Kohls, TJ Maxx or Marshalls etc and the other with Walmart, Belk etc... plenty of restaurants as well.

I am at the Tanger Outlet area at least once a week, feel perfectly safe, and my inlaws actually have stayed at that Embassy Suites and Hilton Garden Inn (they actually live here but had very early am flights) and just decided to spend the night at the hotels and take the shuttle to the airport on two different occassions.(they left their vehicle on premises)

My husband was a North Charleston police officer for 8 years and says you should be fine... just don't venture out alot further than the Tanger Outlet area..there are a few other hotels in that area as well.. Residence Inn, Holiday Inn, Hyatt, W Hotel and a few others..

So bottom line, if you get a much better rate, Summerville is fine or if you want to be a little closer in, the Tanger Outlet area is good.

Awesome info, thanks so much!

GP

P.S. So if I get in trouble, I'll be relying on your ex-P.O. hubby for help! :rolleyes:

We just stayed at the Hampton Inn - Mount Pleasant (5/3) and I would definitely stay at this hotel again. It is not far from downtown Charleston - just over the bridge. There are some places close to eat - We ate at Sticky Fingers which was very close and very good. The hotel was very clean and staff were nice. The morning of the cruise there was a shuttle bus and 3 9 or 10 passenger vans (Mt. Plesant Shuttle) that pulled up around 11 - We were on the ship and I had my first DOD by 11:45am. It was so easy. Coming back was a breeze. You call their number when you clear customs. We did self assist and were back at the hotel by 7:30a.

You will be fine with most anything in Mt Pleasant on Hwy 17. Patriots Point is a nice area, and I've stayed at the Holiday Inn a little further down and it's nice as well.

As far as the questions go for the outlet area or Summerville. Summerville is perfectly fine. I've stayed there and was on the beach at Isle of Palms in 20-25 minutes. The outlet area is OK as well, but PLEASE don't discredit those people talking about N. Charleston as being snobby. I am by no means a snob, and I would NEVER stay there. Especially don't leave your car there for the duration of your cruise!!!

Has anyone stayed at the Rodeway Inn at River Crossing

310 Highway 17 Bypass,Mt. Pleasant.

We have booked the Jan 4, 2012 cruise for our family and looking

for info....Thanks

I have booked the Aloft Charleston Airport & Convention Center

for a night in June before my cruise. Has anyone stayed there? I am concerned after reading some other reviews about the safety of its location. I am leaving my car parked there as well and taking their free shuttle. Any input would be apprecited.

I also just booked this hotel for a pre-cruise stay in August. I will be anxious to hear comments. The only negative thing I have read is that the food is not so wonderful. Did you book the snooze, cruise, and ride package?

for a night in June before my cruise. Has anyone stayed there? I am concerned after reading some other reviews about the safety of its location. I am leaving my car parked there as well and taking their free shuttle. Any input would be apprecited.

This is a new hotel in the North Charleston area. It is one of the safer areas of town. Across the street is the Tanger outlets and all around that area is plenty of restaurants with all different types of food.

Yes, I think it was called that. My rate was $129 +taxes. I'll let you know how it was when I return. Glad to hear it is in a safe neighborhood as I am driving in from Pittsburgh and will arrive very late. The reservationist on the phone was very friendly and informative.

• 1 month later...

How was the Aloft when you stayed there? We will be there this month using Park & Snooze/cruise and haven't been able to find much feedback.

This is a new hotel in the North Charleston area. It is one of the safer areas of town. Across the street is the Tanger outlets and all around that area is plenty of restaurants with all different types of food.

Thank you, good to know this! :)

We just stayed at the Hampton Inn - Mount Pleasant (5/3) and I would definitely stay at this hotel again. It is not far from downtown Charleston - just over the bridge. There are some places close to eat - We ate at Sticky Fingers which was very close and very good. The hotel was very clean and staff were nice. The morning of the cruise there was a shuttle bus and 3 9 or 10 passenger vans (Mt. Plesant Shuttle) that pulled up around 11 - We were on the ship and I had my first DOD by 11:45am. It was so easy. Coming back was a breeze. You call their number when you clear customs. We did self assist and were back at the hotel by 7:30a.

Back yesterday from a cruise out of Charleston and the 3rd time I've stayed at the Hampton Inn Mt. Pleasant. Once again it was a great experience and I highly recommend them. I drove out of the hotel parking lot at 10 a.m. and we were some of the last to leave the ship. The first time I was a little edgy when the shuttle said they'd take us to the port between 11 a.m. and 11:30, but like last time we were on board before noon! In fact, we never even stood in line because it was moving so fast!

Back yesterday from a cruise out of Charleston and the 3rd time I've stayed at the Hampton Inn Mt. Pleasant. Once again it was a great experience and I highly recommend them. I drove out of the hotel parking lot at 10 a.m. and we were some of the last to leave the ship. The first time I was a little edgy when the shuttle said they'd take us to the port between 11 a.m. and 11:30, but like last time we were on board before noon! In fact, we never even stood in line because it was moving so fast!

I am glad to read this, we are booked with them for our August cruise. How does the shuttle back to the hotel work, do you call them when you disembark? Since everyone disembarks at different times I wasn't sure how that would work. :)

I am glad to read this, we are booked with them for our August cruise. How does the shuttle back to the hotel work, do you call them when you disembark? Since everyone disembarks at different times I wasn't sure how that would work. :)

When you check into the hotel they'll give you 2 transportation vouchers (one for going to the ship and the other one for coming back to the hotel), with the number of people in your group, and a phone number. In your room you need to call to reserve a pick-up for the next morning and they'll probably tell you between 11 and 11:30.

When you disembark after clearing customs you'll call the shuttle (phone number on your voucher) to tell them that number of people in your group, and they'll tell you to walk out to the van/taxi pick up area and that they'll be there in X number of minutes.

Tip: if you have a lot of luggage find the person who is in charge of flagging down the porters. Get one--he'll take you to a shorter customs line and take the luggage all the way down that long sidewalk to the shuttle van.

It's very easy and like I said, I'll do it again if/when I have the chance to.

BTW, for dinner we went to Shem's (shim's?) creek to a place called Red's Ice House. You drive out of the hotel parking lot where you have to turn right (left is the one-way road you probably turned into to the hotel). At the stop sign turn right. At the next stop light turn left on Coleman, cross a small bridge and the restaurant is in a group of them to the right. The fishing boats come in with pelicans and dolphins following them. Red's had good shrimp and the prices were very reasonable. It's a very casual place.

Archived