Charleston SC Hotels

Potter2010

We have this booked in 2 weeks. I can respond when we get back.

Their cruise pkg is $98.00. Includes parking, shuttle to and from port and breakfast. Pretty cheap so we will see.

Looking forward to your review. ...Fred

Looking for hotel for one night, 12/2. Was planning to look for a package that included parking & shuttle, but have found some hotels shuttle rates can add $20 - $30 per person to the cost and paying parking ends up being more cost effective. So now it comes to making a decision regarding preference. Which is preferred - onsite parking at the port, or being dropped off by a taxi/shuttle? Which is best at the end of the cruise? Prefer a hotel which does at least include breakfast and MUST be clean and safe. Not familiar with Charleston so not sure of any areas to avoid. Thanks for input from any locals or others who have traveled from this port.

Looking for hotel for one night, 12/2. Was planning to look for a package that included parking & shuttle, but have found some hotels shuttle rates can add $20 - $30 per person to the cost and paying parking ends up being more cost effective. So now it comes to making a decision regarding preference. Which is preferred - onsite parking at the port, or being dropped off by a taxi/shuttle? Which is best at the end of the cruise? Prefer a hotel which does at least include breakfast and MUST be clean and safe. Not familiar with Charleston so not sure of any areas to avoid. Thanks for input from any locals or others who have traveled from this port.

I'm a local. As such, I really haven't stayed in local hotels, so can't comment on which ones offer what in the way of parking, shuttle, breakfast etc. However, as far as what areas of Charleston are ok or to be avoided, I can tell you this regarding locations:

• Anything in historic downtown area of Charleston will be fine.
  • Holiday Inn Riverview, in the West Ashley area, is fine. There are other hotels further west in the West Ashley area, which are generally ok as well, but this is the one in W.A. that is closest and so seems to get mentioned frequently on the cruise boards, so just wanted to comment on it specifically.
  • Anything in Mount Pleasant (very convenient to the cruise port, as is anything in historic downtown) will be fine.
  • Hotels in North Charleston, if they are in the immediate vicinity of the airport/Tanger Outlet shopping center/convention center will be fine. There are other parts of N. Charleston may be iffy, but this area is fine.

We're leaving out of Charleston on 11-7 and booked the Best Western Patriots Point for the night before. They have an internet rate of $71.96 for two queen beds and they offer a free breakfast, free internet and free parking during the cruise. They do not have a shuttle to the port, but they have told me they will arrange for taxi service to the port the morning of the cruise and also for the return trip after the cruise. $10 per person each way. It is about a 15 minute ride to the cruise port from Mt. Pleasant/Patriot's Point. We have never cruised out of Charleston prior to this, but are driving about 10 hours and look forward to a relaxing dinner and a tour of the city before the fun begins.

• 1 month later...

We booked the Fairfield Inn & Suites/N. Charleston/University area. Anybody familiar with this location? Got great reviews on hotels.com. We are fine with driving to port and leaving car in garage so decided against the park and ride option.

We booked the Fairfield Inn & Suites/N. Charleston/University area. Anybody familiar with this location? Got great reviews on hotels.com. We are fine with driving to port and leaving car in garage so decided against the park and ride option.

This location is close to the interstate and the Charleston Southern University. This hotel is about 20 miles to the Port.

This is a safe part of town.

• 1 month later...

Originally Posted by ve3khq

Has anyone stayed at the Rodeway Inn at River Crossing

310 Highway 17 Bypass,Mt. Pleasant.

We have booked the Jan 4, 2012 cruise for our family and looking

for info....Thanks

We have this booked in 2 weeks. I can respond when we get back.

Their cruise pkg is $98.00. Includes parking, shuttle to and from port and breakfast. Pretty cheap so we will see.

Fred I am so sorry I lost this thread and forgot to get back to you. Everything was perfect at Rodeway. Instead of a shuttle, they call a taxi for you at the time you request and you call for a taxi when you debark to get back. We are staying there again in Febuary

• 3 months later...
Originally Posted by ve3khq

for info....Thanks

Fred I am so sorry I lost this thread and forgot to get back to you. Everything was perfect at Rodeway. Instead of a shuttle, they call a taxi for you at the time you request and you call for a taxi when you debark to get back. We are staying there again in Febuary

so, I assume this was a safe location? I'm a little nervous after reading the posts about the areas. Did you feel that your car was safe? Did they pay for the taxi ride or did you?

Thanx

for info....Thanks

How was your stay there? We are thinking of booking it for our April cruise.

How was your stay there? We are thinking of booking it for our April cruise.

Rodeway Inn is OK... not great but OK, area is pretty safe in the better part of the Charleston metro area. Depending on price...

Mt. Pleasant has about 10 or so hotels in an area near the bridge to downtown Charleston and the port. They range from classy to frugal... I would put Rodeway Inn on the lower but not lowest range.

THanks for your feedback, I think we'll try to find something a little better. Has anyone stayed at Shem Creek Inn? Oh what to do? what to do?

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/special_offers/packages/stay/

This will give you list of park and cruise hotel offers.

Shem Creek Inn is alright, the main thing it has going for it the view and location. You are on Shem Creek with docks, bar, eateries, all in walking distance (really, really close). The docks it overlooks used to be a real working dock for shrimp, fishing, still has few working boats. Great local seafood.

I think we'll give Shem Creek a try. We have to get a cab but that's ok. Have you stayed there? Are the rooms clean, that's my biggest concern. I don't need fancy, just clean and not smelling like mildew and that's what alot of the comlaints about Rodeway were. I don't want one of us getting sick from breathing mildew all night and my clothes and luggage smelling like it too. At least at Shem Creek we can just walk to grab a bite to eat and enjoy the view after traveling. Please tell me the rooms are clean, I've done so much research, my brain is about to explode. :confused:

I think we'll give Shem Creek a try. We have to get a cab but that's ok. Have you stayed there? Are the rooms clean, that's my biggest concern. I don't need fancy, just clean and not smelling like mildew and that's what alot of the comlaints about Rodeway were. I don't want one of us getting sick from breathing mildew all night and my clothes and luggage smelling like it too. At least at Shem Creek we can just walk to grab a bite to eat and enjoy the view after traveling. Please tell me the rooms are clean, I've done so much research, my brain is about to explode. :confused:

I have not stayed there in years but I have not heard anything bad about. I cannot tell you much more... now I do know people rent a room for the night to go bar hopping on the weekend, just saying. Nice area, great food in walking distance, cannot tell you about inside.

Bob - (PS - calm down, it's only a vacation)

Archived