Charleston SC Hotels

Potter2010

BTW, for dinner we went to Shem's (shim's?) creek to a place called Red's Ice House.

Shem Creek. (not Shim, not Shem's) :)

If/when you return, skip the free breakfast at the Hampton Inn and get a homestyle Southern breakfast at the Boulevard Diner; you passed it on the right, just before Shem Creek. Looks like a dive, but the food is great. Very popular among the locals (of which, I would be one!)

Thanks for the info on the shuttle! DH and I lived in the area years ago (me in Goose Creek in the late 90's, and DH went to College of Charleston), but the restaurants and such have changed so much since then! We have reservations with a group from our roll call at Fleet Landing the evening pre-cruise.

How is the breakfast at the Hampton? We stayed at a Hampton precruise in Ft Lauderdale, the breakfast was decent. Danishes, cereal, coffee/juice, some fruit, a hot section with breakfast meats and hashbrowns, and a make-your-own waffle station. Is this a similar setup?

Thanks for the info on the shuttle! DH and I lived in the area years ago (me in Goose Creek in the late 90's, and DH went to College of Charleston), but the restaurants and such have changed so much since then! We have reservations with a group from our roll call at Fleet Landing the evening pre-cruise.

How is the breakfast at the Hampton? We stayed at a Hampton precruise in Ft Lauderdale, the breakfast was decent. Danishes, cereal, coffee/juice, some fruit, a hot section with breakfast meats and hashbrowns, and a make-your-own waffle station. Is this a similar setup?

As a local, I've never had reason to stay in that particular Hampton Inn, but have stayed in many others and have always found the breakfast to be fairly consistent throughout the chain. They don't always have a waffle station, and they don't always have a hot chafing dish with a hot "entree" but usually have at least one or the other, along with the usual assortment of cod breakfast items you mentioned.

As a local, I've never had reason to stay in that particular Hampton Inn, but have stayed in many others and have always found the breakfast to be fairly consistent throughout the chain. They don't always have a waffle station, and they don't always have a hot chafing dish with a hot "entree" but usually have at least one or the other, along with the usual assortment of cod breakfast items you mentioned.

Thanks! I haven't stayed at many Hamptons so I wasn't sure how consistent their breakfast is. If they have juice/coffee and danishes/cereal we will be all good. :p

All 3 times I was happy with the breakfast buffet. DGD assured me that there was a waffle making station. I'm on a strict allergy related diet and was happy to see boiled eggs. There were the usual danish, cereal, yogurt, bananas, apples, scrambled eggs, and I'm pretty sure there was bacon and/or sausage (DH's not home or I'd ask him!).

Thanks! I haven't stayed at many Hamptons so I wasn't sure how consistent their breakfast is. If they have juice/coffee and danishes/cereal we will be all good. :p

Yes. There is virtually always coffee, juice, cereal, some assortment of breads/danish/muffins, whole fruit and yogurt. At some locations the selection is greater than others, but you should find at least a minimal selection of these things. And as previously posted, often a waffle station and/or hot entree in a chafing dish. Sometimes there are also hard boiled eggs.

How about the Springhill suites in North Charleston. It's near the northwood mall. I got a rate of 109 canadian off travelocity and I figured I'd just park at the port. It's 75 for my 5 day cruise. I have three kids so I need a suite, my hubby likes free breakfasts (which they have here) and most of the hotels I've researched charge more money for the fifth person per night as well as for trasnportation to the port so we're just going to drive. But before I book I was hoping someone local could tell me if the area is safe. thanks.

It's been a few years since I was there, but the area around Northwoods is not a "nice" area. Maybe it is OK for one night? Hopefully one of the locals will update how the area is now.... I think that most generally do not like to stay in North Charleston, except for the limited area at the Convention Center (Aloft or Embassy Suites)

Have you checked either of those, or the Best Western Plus Downtown Charleston, the Holiday Inn Riverview, or the Hampton Inn Mt Pleasant / Patriot's Point? Those seem to be decent options for a one-night stay. Depending on your length of cruise plus what you are planning to pay to park, you could find better. If you still plan to park at the port, I would look into the hotels in Mt Pleasant over those in N Chas, JMO.

Good luck!

Has anyone stayed at the Rodeway Inn at River Crossing

310 Highway 17 Bypass,Mt. Pleasant.

We have booked the Jan 4, 2012 cruise for our family and looking

for info....Thanks

We are considering booking this same cruise. How close is this hotel to the port? Do they offer free parking? Thanks...

We are considering booking this same cruise. How close is this hotel to the port? Do they offer free parking? Thanks...

Re: the Rodeway Inn in Mt. Pleasant.. I live in the area so have never had reason to stay there. But I can tell you that it is very close to the port, maybe 10 minutes away. The hotel is right at the base of the bridge that connects Mt. P to downtown Charleston. Once you go over the bridge the port is only a hop and a skip down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

For those looking for another alternative for a hotel stay around Charleston, La Quinta Harborside~it is considered in West Ashley. We stayed there this weekend for a quick getaway, but I did talk to the front desk about park and cruise options. They offer park and cruise rates, they don't have a shuttle but they have a transportation service($20.00 for 4 people) they use and you can call a taxi. The hotel is clean and comfortable, it is about a 10 minute ride to the port. We will be staying at this hotel the next time we cruise out of Charleston!

For those looking for another alternative for a hotel stay around Charleston, La Quinta Harborside~it is considered in West Ashley. We stayed there this weekend for a quick getaway, but I did talk to the front desk about park and cruise options. They offer park and cruise rates, they don't have a shuttle but they have a transportation service($20.00 for 4 people) they use and you can call a taxi. The hotel is clean and comfortable, it is about a 10 minute ride to the port. We will be staying at this hotel the next time we cruise out of Charleston!

Debi is this the one near California Dreaming?

Yes~ it is right beside it we ate there for dinner,very good and the view of the harbor was beautiful. We have stayed in Mt. Pleasant and downtown this area is less congested. You will not have the shopping options~WalMart~like Mt. Pleasant which is what we really liked!

Yes~ it is right beside it we ate there for dinner,very good and the view of the harbor was beautiful. We have stayed in Mt. Pleasant and downtown this area is less congested. You will not have the shopping options~WalMart~like Mt. Pleasant which is what we really liked!

I live in Charleston and have been to California Dreaming many times. The reason I was asking is because from the road it looks like a dump glad to hear it is not.

You definitely need a car to stay there as it isn't close to anything.

Best Western King Charles Inn and Days Inn will be the cheapest option in the city. We stayed at Harbourview Inn and that was walking distance to the port, just a couple blocks away and right by all the great restaurants!

Best Western King Charles Inn and Days Inn will be the cheapest option in the city. We stayed at Harbourview Inn and that was walking distance to the port, just a couple blocks away and right by all the great restaurants!

The King Charles Best Western isn't that inexpensive and while I love it, the Days Inn is a serious dump. It's a dump but I'll still stay there if the price is right.

The Indigo Inn and Andrew Pinckeny Inn are also cheaper options.

These days, nothing in Charleston is cheap!

Quilty inn at Patriots point was beyond rude and we ended up not even staying thats how bad it was ! However the BEst Westren at patriots point was so sweet , food was yummy and the prices was 40 dallors cheaper then quility inn . No there is not a parka dn ride at that hotel but we wanted our car at the port anyways :) We had a great time and plan on doing a whole trip report with more details of the mess at that hotel !

I live in Chicago so I find Charleston to be inexpensive but don't expect a cheap hotel rate when you stay in any city. The King Charles Inn is wonderful; great service, a bar with Happy Hour (something we don't have in Ilinois), and pool! I stayed at a 4 start hotel in the city and I preferred the Best Western. You can save a little money by staying at the Days Inn but you will sacrifice much mroe on quality than you will save.

Hi Everyone - Have any of you ever stayed at the Holiday Inn Riverview? That is where we're booked for our cruise (for 1/30/11). They offered a buffet breakfast, free parking for duration of the cruise and shuttle to the port for $149 plus tax. It sounded like a good deal to me. We are on our own to get back to the hotel from the port, but I'm thinking there should be cabs waiting around at the port upon our return, right? Otherwise, if anyone has any better advice, please share. Thanks much!

Hi Everyone - Have any of you ever stayed at the Holiday Inn Riverview? That is where we're booked for our cruise (for 1/30/11). They offered a buffet breakfast, free parking for duration of the cruise and shuttle to the port for $149 plus tax. It sounded like a good deal to me. We are on our own to get back to the hotel from the port, but I'm thinking there should be cabs waiting around at the port upon our return, right? Otherwise, if anyone has any better advice, please share. Thanks much!

Nice location fantastic views. Plenty of cabs waiting at the port and it won't cost much at all to get back to the round holiday inn as we call it here.

Have a great cruise.

Has anyone stayed at the Rodeway Inn at River Crossing

310 Highway 17 Bypass,Mt. Pleasant.

We have booked the Jan 4, 2012 cruise for our family and looking

for info....Thanks

We have this booked in 2 weeks. I can respond when we get back.

Their cruise pkg is $98.00. Includes parking, shuttle to and from port and breakfast. Pretty cheap so we will see.

We just stayed at the Hampton Inn Patriot's Point with their park and cruise package. It was a great stay - we chose it because we wanted to take a Fort Sumter tour and USS Yorktown, and this couldn't be easier. easy drive to Shem Creek for dinner as well.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that there are so many good options in Charleston - let me add another. We just stayed at the Fairfield Inn near the airport. New hotel, great rooms, reasonable, free drinks and breakfast - as well as free parking during your cruise. I should also add that it appeared to me more convenient to arrive and depart using a taxi than parking at the pier. We took our own bag and were off the ship at 6:45 (after having breakfast) and in our car at 7:10 for an early start home.

Looking for a post cruise package for our december cruise. I tried the Hampton Inn Mt Pleasant that seems very reccommended and they said you have to stay the night before you leave to get the package. Anyone know of a package where we can arrive, park car and get trans to terminal and back and stay at the hotel after the cruise?

Archived