Orca watching out of Vancouver?

dan1618

We will be in arriving in Vancouver on May 18 and be there for two full days on May 19-20 before leaving on our HAL cruise on the 21st. We would really like to go on a local orca watching tour. Can anyone recommend some various approaches?

Being a resident of Vancouver for all my life I can tell you that Vancouver is not a hotbed for Orca excursions. Prince of Whales has opened an operation out of Vancouver...but it is very much hit or miss. If you have a car and want to drive out to Steveston in Richmond (out beyond the Vancouver airport) there are a couple of excursions that operate from there with a little more success, here is a link to one of them.

Let me add from my previous post on this topic, you will see a lot of terrific scenery from Vancouver but Orcas are going to be hit or miss.

http://www.seabreezeadventures.ca/

I'm giving you my same answer from another board. I do not recomemnd Vancouver whale watches. Too low of sighting stats.

If a "must", then get there earlier to be able to spend several days on Vancouver Island.

In your same timeframe, I would suggest flying over, then being available for at least 2 whale watches, and overnight. Maybe pick up a third the next morning. Float planes leave right near Canada Place.

I'm giving you my same answer from another board. I do not recomemnd Vancouver whale watches. Too low of sighting stats.

If a "must", then get there earlier to be able to spend several days on Vancouver Island.

In your same timeframe, I would suggest flying over, then being available for at least 2 whale watches, and overnight. Maybe pick up a third the next morning. Float planes leave right near Canada Place.

The earliest we can to Vancouver is Wednesday the 18th. Is the success rate from Vancouver Island such that you need 2 or 3 excursions to be sure of sightings? Part of the issue is going to be the cost, with the secondary issue the time. Any advice you can give on how to pull it off is greatly appreciated!

The earliest we can to Vancouver is Wednesday the 18th. Is the success rate from Vancouver Island such that you need 2 or 3 excursions to be sure of sightings? Part of the issue is going to be the cost, with the secondary issue the time. Any advice you can give on how to pull it off is greatly appreciated!

In my experience, yes, you need to be available for more than one excursion, IF it is a priority for you to see them. I will ask you- HOW important is this? #1 for your trip??

It would benefit you to find out about the Vancouver Island resident orcas. There are 6 pods, 3 Southern, 3 Northern. They each have over a hundred miles of range. They have to be within range of the boat tours to see them. The boat tours, KNOW ahead of time, if they will see orcas. There is a whole network of spotters that check in multiple times daily. They do not tell the average visitor, and they will continue to go out anyway.

In my experience, yes, you need to be available for more than one excursion, IF it is a priority for you to see them. I will ask you- HOW important is this? #1 for your trip??

It would benefit you to find out about the Vancouver Island resident orcas. There are 6 pods, 3 Southern, 3 Northern. They each have over a hundred miles of range. They have to be within range of the boat tours to see them. The boat tours, KNOW ahead of time, if they will see orcas. There is a whole network of spotters that check in multiple times daily. They do not tell the average visitor, and they will continue to go out anyway.

Interesting. Is there anywhere this inside info tends to be posted, or are we basically at their mercy?

It would not ruin the trip, but it is a high priority for our time in Vancouver. We are there first and foremost for the cruise, but it would be the number one thing we would want to accomplish in Vancouver.

Interesting. Is there anywhere this inside info tends to be posted, or are we basically at their mercy?

It would not ruin the trip, but it is a high priority for our time in Vancouver. We are there first and foremost for the cruise, but it would be the number one thing we would want to accomplish in Vancouver.

The "spotters" I am familiar with, report to the boat operators, directly. No "public" source that I know of. Sorry, but, this is a poor choice to remain in Vancouver, if orcas are #1.

The "spotters" I am familiar with, report to the boat operators, directly. No "public" source that I know of. Sorry, but, this is a poor choice to remain in Vancouver, if orcas are #1.

How feasible is it to go to Vancouver Island without a car? Obviously the ferry is a lot cheaper without a car. If we do that, can we get to reasonably priced lodging and do the whale watching tours pick up, or is it significantly better to have a car at our disposal?

How feasible is it to go to Vancouver Island without a car? Obviously the ferry is a lot cheaper without a car. If we do that, can we get to reasonably priced lodging and do the whale watching tours pick up, or is it significantly better to have a car at our disposal?

Very. The bus service is very good, and there's also a thru coach service from Pacific Station (Amtrak) in Vancouver to the downtown Victoria bus station. However the coach; is about the same speed as just taking the local bus service, but twice the price. The advantage is the 'set and forget' aspect, and that you don't have to drag luggage, but you will need to get to Pacific Station as only 1 trip a day does the coach loop through downtown Vancouver.

Local buses...

SUBWAY: Downtown -> Bridgeport Station; ($5, 3 zone ticket)

BUS #620: Bridgeport Station -> Tsawwassen (same ticket as above)

FERRY: Walk on, and pretty much guaranteed you'll be on the next boat. There's a luggage drop (pickup far end), which stops you from having to drag your luggage around on the ship. A lot of advantages vs driving yourself.

BUS #70: Swartz Bay -> Downtown Victoria ($2.50)

I don't think I would go that effort and expense without a 95% chance of seeing orcas. Basically you would be giving up 2 days of your trip for the slim chance of viewing orcas. I've been on a dozen orca trips always see them but I go late summer. I personally wouldn't go in May; too iffy and it's little effort/expense for me.

The entire trip to go Vancouver-Victoria by ferry would be about 3 1/2 hrs. First you need to get to the ferry terminal in Tsawwassen which is about 20 miles south of Vancouver. (google vanc city bus I'm sure you could find a bus to get you there) The ferry crossing is 1 1/2 hrs, very scenic especially thru the Gulf Islands. The ferry lands in Sidney which is about 20 miles north of Victoria. There is frequent bus service between Sidney and Victoria so google again for Victoria buses. That would be your cheapest option.

Or you could take the bus Vanc-Victoria for about $120 (incl ferry). I think it's Pacific Coach line.

There are several vendors in Victoria for whale watching. Some of them post the daily viewing statistics on their web site. See if you can find stats for mid May last yr. In the summer the success rate is over 95%, because the resident pods stay closer to the San Juan Islands area. Prior to June, the success is MUCH lower.

If you're willing to fly by the seat of your pants, you could watch the daily stats for a few days before your trip and if the vendor is seeing resident orcas every day, not transient orcas, you could always do a last minute trip.

But there's plenty to see and do in the Vancouver area. Make the most of your 2 days there ! I can easily spend a day walking in Stanley Park. Maybe you'll luck out and see orcas out of Juneau or Glacier Bay.

You can get from Vancouver to Victoria via puplic transit but it can involve a couple of transfers as well as walking off the ferry and catching a bus on the Vancouver Island side. There is also Pacific Coach Lines. You would want to stay in Victoria overnight with an Orca excursion. There are some sighting websites but the information tends to be a week out of date. Here are some links for your convenience:

http://www.pacificcoach.com/

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/

www.transitbc.com/regions/vic/

I spoke to someone at SeaBreeze. They told me they have a 95% success rate and have seen them every day so far since the start of the season this year except for one. They also said that they are going to the exact same areas as the expeditions from Victoria as they all share the same spotting network. They also said they offer a free trip out the next day or whenever you want to use it if they fail to see whales. I understand that can be gamed a little bit -- we saw a tail, so we met the requirement - but that wouldn't seem like good business.

Is this a case that I found a reputable one thanks to Putterdude? Are there a lot of disreputable operators that aren't as reliable? I just want to make sure we get the most for our time and the most bang for our buck. Thanks!

Is their guarantee for orcas or for any whale sighting? Can you view their sightings log for last May?

I normally go to N Vancouver Island for orca viewing but last yr I used a company out of Anacortes WA (all vendors are looking for the same 3 pods of resident whales). This is their log for the week of 5/16/10. They saw whales every day; 1 or 2 minke, humpback or gray but no orcas. The resident orcas start appearing with more frequency the following week. So would this qualify?

http://blog.island-adventures.com/2010_05_16_archive.html

I think all vendors will do their best to find them. They want their guests to have a good trip! They're constantly listening to other boats and fisherman throughout the area; as soon as someone spots ANY whale they're on the radio about it. It's not a secret!

May isn't prime tourist season so it's something you can decide on a day or 2 out. If the sightings log is showing orcas every day, go for it! If they're only seeing a minke or 2, you might want to think twice about it. It's great experience if you do see them. Does the seabreeze have an underwater microphone ? That really enhances the experience. Good luck!

I agree with Maple. Victoria doesn't even have 95% sightings, and they are the southern resident's mid point. Out of Vancouver it's toward the eastern point of range, they "can" make it up to about Campbell River, which is also the northern resident's southern range point. And they also go west of Victoria, when they feel like it. :)

I've been Orca watching, since the 90's.

You are "looking" for postive posts which will support your decision for this orca priority of yours. At this point, why don't you just book the tour?? And go with what happens??

I agree with Maple. Victoria doesn't even have 95% sightings, and they are the southern resident's mid point. Out of Vancouver it's toward the eastern point of range, they "can" make it up to about Campbell River, which is also the northern resident's southern range point. And they also go west of Victoria, when they feel like it. :)

I've been Orca watching, since the 90's.

You are "looking" for postive posts which will support your decision for this orca priority of yours. At this point, why don't you just book the tour?? And go with what happens??

Actually, I am looking to try to put the pieces together and make the best possible decision. It's hard from a distance and when it is our first time in the Vancouver area. I don't want to waste money or time, but also don't want to miss out. I was discussing the whole thing with my wife, basically saying do we change our plans and try to get to Vancouver Island -- having given up on the idea of seeing anything from Vancouver -- but decided to call the place Putterdude referenced just to see what they said. Afterwards, I posted the results. Nothing more than information gathering so I can best put all the pieces together.

They also said that they are going to the exact same areas as the expeditions from Victoria as they all share the same spotting network.

That is a little bit of a stretch as Sea Breeze would not be able to reach some of the extreme western parts of the Strait of Juan de Fuca that a Victoria boat would. That said, with 3 resident pods in region, not all 3 pods are likely to be in the same area at the same time. I will, if I may, go one step further, I frankly wouldn't go to the trouble or expense to make a special trip to Victoria given your limited time in Vancouver.

That is a little bit of a stretch as Sea Breeze would not be able to reach some of the extreme western parts of the Strait of Juan de Fuca that a Victoria boat would. That said, with 3 resident pods in region, not all 3 pods are likely to be in the same area at the same time. I will, if I may, go one step further, I frankly wouldn't go to the trouble or expense to make a special trip to Victoria given your limited time in Vancouver.

Thanks, Putterdude. In fairness to SeaBreeze, they did tell me that they can't reach the outside of Vancouver Island if all three pods go there, and she did say that occasionally they do miss out because all three pods are joined for mating and move more to the outside of the island. She said that typically, though, one or more pods is available. She said depending on pod locations, their boats can range from the up into Horseshoe Bay, down through the Strait of Georgia, all around the San Juan Islands, and down around the southern point of Vancouver Island, but, like you say, not to the ocean side of the island.

I have emailed her for more information. Based on what you have said, combined with what I got from her, I think I am inclined to agree with you about the time and expense of a special trip to Victoria. I wish we could do it, but it sounds like we have reasonable odds with SeaBreeze and there are definitely other things we want to do and see in Vancouver as well.

Thanks for all the great info and for pointing us to checking them out!

You are getting a little bit of baffle-gaff there, their boats can reach Horseshoe Bay, but I have never heard of an Orca being there....it is a ferry terminal and where I catch the ferry to go to my home in Sechelt. The -prime areas for spotting the resident pods are the southern reaches of Georgia Strait, in among the Gulf and San Juan Islands, the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the northern reaches of Puget Sound. However we did a a grey whale spend the summer in front our Sechelt home this past year.:)

As I often say, just take me fishing in the Gulf and San Juan Islands and as soon as I drop a hook the Orcas will turn up.....and the salmon are long gone.

Archived