departing from san juan questions

bermudagal56

Did this several years ago and i dont recall how long does it take from the airport to the port? What does the cab fare run??

Also, once at the port is there anything in walking distance if we decide to get off before the ship takes off at night?

I have been reading people's comments that the line is really long to get on the adventure to check in but i am not coming across that with the seranade. Sounds like easy & smooth check in for serenade. Anyone experience long lines or problems with the serenade?

thank you!

Did this several years ago and i dont recall how long does it take from the airport to the port? What does the cab fare run??

Also, once at the port is there anything in walking distance if we decide to get off before the ship takes off at night?

I have been reading people's comments that the line is really long to get on the adventure to check in but i am not coming across that with the seranade. Sounds like easy & smooth check in for serenade. Anyone experience long lines or problems with the serenade?

thank you!

Taxi takes less than 30 min, fare is fixed by zones, not sure of fare, but probably $25-$30. There is a slight extra charge per bag.

The port is not the one next to Old San Juan, it's across the bay at the Pan American Pier. I can't remember anything within walking distance.

We did Serenade 2 years ago, got there at 11am, and waited in a line for maybe 45 minutes before we were allowed into the terminal.

We just cruised out of San Juan three weeks ago. The cab ride is 20 minutes. The fare is $24 plus $1 per bag. There is nothing within walking distance of the terminal if you decide to get off. If you WANT to get off, here's what I recommend. With cabs being so plentiful, I recommend taking one over to Old San Juan and doing some sightseeing there. If you want a great tour, do a Segway tour, you'll have a ball!

thank you!

We were just on the Serenade this past February. We chose the RCI transfer to the port. We prefer using their transfer as that once they put your bags on the truck at the airport you don't have to deal with them during check in. They take care of checking them and arrive outside your room later. We waited at the airport with the RCI staff in phone contact with the port. Once the ship was cleared for boarding we loaded the bus and once arriving at the port we were on board in about 20 min or less. Nothing within walking distance of the port.

thank you!

DH and I usually get in line around 11AM and may wait 20 -30 min then on board. No problem...........

You would be better off taking a Taxi to Old San J. There's a small airport across from where the ship docks. Nothing very exciting there that I would be interested in.

:)

We just cruised out of San Juan three weeks ago. The cab ride is 20 minutes. The fare is $24 plus $1 per bag.

Actually, fare from airport to pier should be $19 base plus $1 per piece of luggage... http://www.cabspr.com/ has full list of fare info for SJ cabs. They really should post these fares in large print at the airport. The cabbies love to rip off people who simply don't know the fare rules in the city.

To answer the OPs questions... just as everyone else said, nothing is really within walking distance of the pier. Take a cab into Old San Juan if you want something to do before the ship sails. Very nice pedestrian friendly area of San Juan. In fact, my favorite place to visit. We just got off the Seranade 2 weeks ago... we had no problems checking into the ship. Maybe 30 minutes tops from the time we arrived (around 2PM) until we were in our room.

Hi - We have sailed on both the Serenade and the Adventure out of San Juan several times - have never had a big problem in boarding with either ship. It does get busy around 1-3 PM - not so much if you get there before noon. RCCL airport transfer is a great option to the port, although we have always flown in a couple of days early to enjoy Old San Juan and the Condado Beach area. We always use a private limo service for all of our transportation.

Suggestions of going to Old San Juan is what I would also recommend. Taxi is the best way to go as there are many dropping off and picking up. Short trip to Old San Juan allows for some shopping and sightseeing. San Cristobol Fort is a great 1-1/2 hour visit - it was only $3 to get in. You can walk to it from Old San Juan. If you time your fort trip at the end of your Old San Juan visit, there are plenty of taxis in the area to take you back to the port. Enjoy! San Juan is one of our favorite places to visit!

Not sure what line you are cruising on, I am sailing Celebrity ,I was informed that even though we sailed at 8 pm ,our muster drill was at 5:30 pm and you had to be back on the ship by 5 , not sure if that applies to you, but it is something you might want to find out .

Archived