QM2 alternative to MDR

FoghornLeghorn

On my bucket list....the QM2 Transatlantic.

Next summer I will be in Europe for a few weeks, and want to do the TA from Southampton to NY.

Although I look forward to dressing up for dinner, I'm not sure I'll have enough room for a lot of formal clothes.

On the nights I don't want to do formal, what are my alternatives for dinner?

Thanks in advance!

Next summer I will be in Europe for a few weeks, and want to do the TA from Southampton to NY.

Although I look forward to dressing up for dinner, I'm not sure I'll have enough room for a lot of formal clothes.

Thanks in advance!

"Now pay attention to me,son! I'm not talking just to listen to my head roar!" That aside,bring one tux(if you have one)or a formal(good dark suit)a few good sport coats, some dress shirts/dress pants. With that you're pretty much set. Day wear is usually pretty casual(khakies & such). If you want more low key,you can dress pretty casual for the King's Court area..nice shirts/khakies,etc...Also remember to bring a light coat(windbreaker type)as it can be pretty chilly doing a TA,even in summer.

Thanks in advance!

Hi FoghornLeghorn. When the dress code was formal, and we didn't feel like dressing in formal attire, we ordered room service. But for a more specific answer, your alternatives depend on the category you booked.

I have only experience of Britannia Club and Britannia. In Britannia Club, it is possible to discuss options with the maître d’ (i.e. steak and a salad delivered to your stateroom). In Britannia the option is limited to the room service menu. I'm sure there are other options should you be in the Grills category.

Since my cruise last December, I understand there are several changes regarding dining in Kings Court area, but since I have no experience since those changes were made, regretfully, I can not offer any comments.

BTW, formal clothes need not take up much room in your luggage. For example, I find silk garments pack lightly, wear well, and work for all seasons.

Regards,

Salacia

Thank you Salacia!

Bad news that I just learned....

the TA from Southampton to NY in April 2012, was just cancelled by Cunard.

So, unless my Europe trip is re-arranged, I won't be able to do the TA I was planning on.

BUT! I still plan on going on the QM2 before they call me to that big port in the sky :D

I thought that Reba was not a man's name, but these days it is sometimes difficult to tell. If you eventually take a single long black skirt, or similar together with a couple of glitzy tops and scarves, you will be able to mix and match your wardrobe without the need for several suitcases. I must explain this to my wife one day. Additionally I would counsel you to go to the main restaurant every night, the buffet is ok for breakfast or a light lunch but to eat there on a Cunard ship is like going to Paris and eating in Macdonalds. I do hope that you get to make your trip at some stage. Why have Cunard cancelled this trip? On their site the 27/4 TA still shows as active as it is the first trip after the World Cruise.

Capn: Thank you!

I do agree about "going to Paris and eating at McDonalds"

I do want to get the most out of my trip on the QM2.

I think your ideas are great and will try those.

I just know after being in Europe for a few weeks before this trip back to the US, there will be times, I don't feel like dressing up...so I'll probably just do room service. I'll try as hard as I can to take advantage of the MDR and the experience.

Margatebne:

I only wish I could do the Princess Look ;)

I will check again about the TA in April, 2012.

When I kept getting error messages when trying to book this, and finally called..they were upgrading their information and they said this trip was being removed.

I've always had a thing for the Princess look.

[ATTACH]191376[/ATTACH]

BTW - The Princess on the far left will be dining in Kings Court tonight.

Must be the seafood special of the night!

I'm late to the party as usual, but Kings Court has a fine self-serve buffet every evening, which rotates between Carvery, Lotus and La Piazza. Casual dress is permitted at the buffet. I did this every night in lieu of the Britannia on my crossing and liked it a lot. I can recommend the Carvery and La Piazza without hesitation. I don't like most Asian food, but many reviews praise the food at Lotus. My one experience at the Britannia for lunch didn't make me want to go back for supper. Ever. I have other reasons for my aversion, but they don't pertain to this discussion.

The non-buffet Kings Court restaurants turn into smallish, rather intimate table-service venues in the evening, at a $10 pp charge. Reservations are required, and you are also requested to follow the stated dress code for the evening. Others have reported that less-than-formal dress is permitted here, but I couldn't say for sure, as I never got around to eating at the alternatives. I hung out at Kings Court one night while they were setting up the Carvery. Amazing transformation.

One night, even casual dress was too much trouble and I had room service. It was a grilled ham and cheese sandwich with a silly fancy name. Pretentious, but quite tasty.

I hope you have a wonderful journey. It sounds like you plan to eat in the Britannia most of the time, but please be sure to inform the maitre d' and/or your tablemates when you plan to be absent from dinner. It's the courteous thing to do. I'm sure you already know this, but somebody reading might not...

Thanks buckirj1

I finally got my TA booked! The website was constantly giving errors when trying to book it, so I finally called. Booked a balcony (b1) for the price of an Oceanview.

I'M REALLY EXCITED - QM2 has been a bucket list item for awhile!

Way to go Foggy! Have a wonderful voyage.

BTW, imho, B1 category is in a really good place - arguably every bit as good as A1, and some would say even better, especially on a TransAtlantic. Very happy for you. Cheers, -S.

Foggy, you're welcome. I imagine that after a vacation in Europe the best way to return is on QM2. I've only flown across the Pond, but when time and tides permit, I would love to sail home on QM2. Looking forward to your comments about your voyage.

BTW, did you mark your booking as "do not upgrade"? -S.

Yes, I just had them mark it no upgrade, after reading all the great advice about the room I chose. Sounds like the in hull balcony will be perfect, considering the weather in late April and the winds from the ocean.

I want to be able to go out on the balcony and not freeze my bajeebers off :D

Ah say, Son...thanks for the advice ;)

only one problem.....I'm a girl :D

Hopefully, not like "Miss Prissy" "I say..That gal's built like the highway between Dallas & Fort Worth..No Curves!"

• 1 month later...

You can literally bring two shirts, and just keep sending them down for cleaning. It's only $6 per shirt. And as a man, your tux and dark suit are all you'll need. Clean shirt every day and tux on formal and suit on semi. Take off the tie for Elegant Casual.

You can literally bring two shirts, and just keep sending them down for cleaning. It's only $6 per shirt. And as a man, your tux and dark suit are all you'll need. Clean shirt every day and tux on formal and suit on semi. Take off the tie for Elegant Casual.

Well, I hate to break it to you....especially after your wonderful response...but I am a girl :D

Lurker.... YES !

I was so happy to see Geico do a commercial with him.

Many of the "kids" today, don't even know who he is

Ah say, I'm so glad, GLAD I say, to see him get some recognition ;)

I like the end, when yoo hear off-camera the results of the hawk meeting Foghorn . . . :D

Archived