Ketchikan Halibut or Salmon fishing in tight time frame?

dan1618

We are planning on doing a flightseeing tour on our stop at Ketchikan. Our flight is from 11:30-1:30 which I assume would put us back in town by 2 easily. Our ship leaves at 6. Is there any way I can fit in a fishing trip and have a reasonable chance of catching something that makes it worth the rush and worth the money?

We are planning on doing a flightseeing tour on our stop at Ketchikan. Our flight is from 11:30-1:30 which I assume would put us back in town by 2 easily. Our ship leaves at 6. Is there any way I can fit in a fishing trip and have a reasonable chance of catching something that makes it worth the rush and worth the money?

Wow, that's a very tight timeframe. There are many far more experienced than I who will be able to answer, but I believe you'd need more time than that for halibut. I've done two salmon fishing charters and they've both been more than four hours. :(

In theory, you could have a 4-hour fishing trip, but the time of departure would be up to the charter boat captain and 2 O'clock may not be part of their schedule, assuming they have the minimum number of people to make it a go. Also realize that most charter boats partner with a fish processor who cleans, flash freezes and ships you fish to you, usually via FedEx. All of this is at the end of your fishing trip and does not run like clockwork. The potential for time slippage certainly exists. This seems like a very high risk venture, should you decide to pursue it. It would not be a bet I would take.

The shipping of your catch I would not worry about. They would probly hold on to it until you are back home but on that time schedule you would have at the most dock to dock 3 and a half hours. Fishing from the dock is only 20 minutes away but I can't see you haveing to much time with your line in the water. You could always call a few charter operators and ask there own opinion too.

Are you there, in August/Sept??

If a vendor is available this year- you could rent fishing poles, and get your license- walk around the marine and shore fish for a few hours.

With your current flight tour already booked, you do not have time for any charter.

In theory, you could have a 4-hour fishing trip, but the time of departure would be up to the charter boat captain and 2 O'clock may not be part of their schedule, assuming they have the minimum number of people to make it a go. Also realize that most charter boats partner with a fish processor who cleans, flash freezes and ships you fish to you, usually via FedEx. All of this is at the end of your fishing trip and does not run like clockwork. The potential for time slippage certainly exists. This seems like a very high risk venture, should you decide to pursue it. It would not be a bet I would take.

They do not have time for a 4 hour fishing charter, with a 6pm cruiseship departure time.

Fish processing and shipping is NOT as you describe. The charters certainly have it well coordinated, there is nothing the visitor is responsible for, to be held up with, once it is caught. You select your shipping arrival date, and the fish is held for you in storage. This does run like "clockwork", every day, for most of people.

To put another crimp in your plans, your time window is smaller than you think.

If your ship leaves at 6:00, then they probably require everyone back onboard by 5:30.

Just have the pilot fly low and dangle a line for fish. :)

Are you there, in August/Sept??

If a vendor is available this year- you could rent fishing poles, and get your license- walk around the marine and shore fish for a few hours.

With your current flight tour already booked, you do not have time for any charter.

Is there much to be caught shore fishing, or would that likely just keep me from seeing other things?

Is there much to be caught shore fishing, or would that likely just keep me from seeing other things?

On our last cruise, my DD and I were in Juneau and drove out to Auke Bay. While we were just walking around admiring the scenery, we saw a man fishing from the shore. In the short time we watched, he caught a sizeable salmon. It was pretty cool to watch. :D

If you are going in May, there will be little in the way of shore fishing, as the salmon don't start running until July. Your time frame is too short for any charter fishing. It's a good 1/2 hour run out to where the fishing is - and you need to get to the dock, get gear, fill out paperwork for you license, etc. which is at least another half hour or more. That leaves you very little time to fish. In addition, unless there are six of you, you will have to pay the full charter fee, which can run around $500.

Archived