Kusadasi: Lunch in town or go back to ship? and is there any shopping?

We'll be taking a half day tour of Ephesus. We then have a choice of going back to the ship or walking around Kusadasi.

Is there a decent place for lunch in Kusadasi? (Clean, good food, friendly, fair prices)

Or should we go back to the ship for lunch and then return to walk around town?

Are there any particular streets we should know about that have shops selling local crafts to take home as souvenirs?

A friend who traveled on Holland America said there was a nice place to buy rugs right by the port....just for ship passengers. We are traveling Celebrity. Is there the same opportunity for buying rugs where Celebrity docks? (I'm interested in just a small area rug as a souvenir.)

Is it a long walk from the port to the town?

Any other advice for Kusadasi is appreciated. Thanks.

Turkish food is wonderful and there are several good restaurants in Kusadasi; some directly on the water. The specialties include fresh caught and grilled fish, kebaps (kebobs) of grilled meat -- usually chicken or lamb, and spiced meatballs (kofte). There are other options as well. Most of the restaurants are well used to tourists and have English menu options. For lunch, I have in the past just enjoyed some of the mezzes (appetizers) such as hummus, olives, tomato salad, marinated eggplant etc served with fresh pita bread and a nice cold local beer (Efes).

As for shopping -- well, if you like shopping you will find PLENTY in Kusadasi. The town has basically developed as the port developed and everything is geared to tourists. There are umpteen rug stores; don't worry about having an opportunity to shop for a rug.....

Other good local buys are ceramics and pottery, tiles, leather goods, and designer knockoffs.

There is plenty of shopping very close to the ships.

We ate at a restaurant right on the water (you could see the ships from where we sat). We had seafood and it was WONDERFUL. Sorry, but can't remember the name of it.

I bought 2 rugs (small) in Istanbul. That was my gift to myself. Enjoy!!!!

The main Bazaar runs from the Esplanade up the hill. There are lots of narrow laneways full of shops running off it. Here you will find shops selling everything! I found all sorts of interesting items that I hadn't seen elsewhere. There are also plenty of Restaurants in this area. I did find, that this was the only place in Turkey, where I was constantly asked to come into their shop to buy, so be ready for that!

When visiting Kusadasi take the short walk to Pigeon Island. The Island, in the Ottoman times, was used to secure the shores and to protect the Town from Sea Attacks. As you walk along the causeway, there are Boats and their Captains, waiting for people to take a tour with them. On reaching the Island (ADMISSION FREE) there are Cafes and a nice walk that you can do all around the Island. Good views are had from all sides.

The Caravanserai also has some expensive shops on the ground floor.

We'll be taking a half day tour of Ephesus. We then have a choice of going back to the ship or walking around Kusadasi. Is there a decent place for lunch in Kusadasi? (Clean, good food, friendly, fair prices) Or should we go back to the ship for lunch and then return to walk around town? Are there any particular streets we should know about that have shops selling local crafts to take home as souvenirs? A friend who traveled on Holland America said there was a nice place to buy rugs right by the port....just for ship passengers. We are traveling Celebrity. Is there the same opportunity for buying rugs where Celebrity docks? (I'm interested in just a small area rug as a souvenir.) Is it a long walk from the port to the town? Any other advice for Kusadasi is appreciated. Thanks.

The docking point for most ships is fairly close to many shops in their main area. You'll see a variety of rug shops. We loved Ephesus We didn't eat there. Personally, I would probably come back to the ship, eat there (for free), rest slightly and then sample a little of their shopping areas. Much will depend on your weather that day. Below are a few visual sample for what you can experience there.

If you are thinking of buying a rug there, bring along your exact size needs, a couple of color or fabric samples to consider what that carpet needs to match, be near in your room, etc.

Don't guess or hope on those details.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 37,700 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Carpet demo was interesting and educational:

CarpetSales.jpg

Starting the tour at Ephesus:

EphTourStart.jpg

At Ephesus along the Turkish Coast, here is the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this site in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel. This included a sermon condemning pagan worship in this theater:

Amphitheatre.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I'd been trying to do some research online and in guidebooks. But there isn't much info about Kusadasi that I found really answered my questions. The responses here are so much better.

Cruisemom42: I love Turkish food as well. The mezes are usually the best part of the meal. And thanks for reassuring me that there are a number of decent restaurants to choose from. Thanks also to Radsailor for the same. I really didn't know what to expect in the town.

I'm also interested in collecting pottery and ceramics.

Oakbank: Thanks for the details about Pigeon Island....I don't remember reading about that before. And thanks for the details about walking around town.

TLCOhio: Thanks for reminding me about color samples. YIKES....it could be disaster coming home with the wrong colors. AND your photos are SUPER !!!!

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

TLCOhio: Thanks for reminding me about color samples. YIKES....it could be disaster coming home with the wrong colors. AND your photos are SUPER !!!! Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Appreciate the kind comments on the pictures. Below are a few more visuals on your options there in and around this charming and interesting port. If you like great views in Europe, check out the Copenhagen, Norway Coast, fjords, puffins, etc., shown below from last summer's live/blog posting.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 37,700 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Near Ephesus, here is what the final home of Mary looks like from our visit there:

MaryHomeTurkey.jpg

Nearby to Ephesus is a museum with many great, historic items and pieces from this site and the Roman period.:

EphesusMuseumCarving.jpg

EphesusMusArtPeople.jpg

A smaller temple at Ephesus:

EphSmTemple.jpg

A closer view of a carved stone piece at Ephesus:

EphStoneAngl.jpg

At Ephesus, architectural details on its famed library building:

LibraryDetails.jpg

TLCOhio, what time of year were you there? I'm trying to work out likely clothing needs (weather wise) in October this year.

We were in this Turkish Coast area in late June 2006. The good news in October is that things are not likely to be hot, hot. Should be cool and comfortable. BUT, how cold? Be prepared to layer. Could be cool in the am and then warm later in the afternoon. You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temps in that specific area for a date in the past. Just plug in lower on the page for weather history, put in your October date and the year 2010. You will see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows peaks for that date there.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 37,725 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

I found a few pictures from Kusadasi just to give you a sense of the place. First one was taken at a small "hole-in-the-wall" type restaurant which we stopped in for doner kebap (gyro, in Greek) and eyran (a yogurt-based drink). Take the first or second alleyway to the left of the main street heading up the hill from the port (it will start at an elementary school), then take your first left, and look for the place papered with cruise tour stickers. While we ate, we heard the kids singing... magical!

IMG_1872.JPG

One part of the shopping area, not the main street.

IMG_1887.JPG

And a sight which you will see all over the bazaar and also by the entrance to Ephesus:

IMG_1884.JPG

Enjoy your time in Kusadasi.

In feel that a tour to Ephesus (definitely including the Terrace Houses) is a "must do" if you haven't been to this area before.

The tour will probably finish in the early afternoon and most offer to drop off in "town" for those who would like to shop. The shopping area is within a few minutes walk to the ship docking area.

I'm a keen shopper and definitely recommend to other keen shoppers that you take advantage of this offer. I love shopping in Kusadasi. As you can tell from my "screen name", I also an avid golfer, so I stock up on polo shirts whenever I am in Kusadasi. The "Designer name" polo shirts are great. Bargaining is expected and I paid

E20 when I was there in May last year. When I was there again in late November (end of tourist season) I paid E8 and E10. The sizing is "erratic" so you need to really check or try on but the fabrics are excellent and they are definitely "laundry friendly".

I also find the Kusadasi bazaar area also great for handbags. They are obviously copies, but the quality is very good and a fraction of the price of the "real deal".

Some of the merchants can get a tad aggressive. If this happens, then I suggest that your simply walk away and go to another shop.

I have not purchased a carpet, but I have friends who bought a carpet at the rug co-operative that many of the tours visit and had it shipped home, They are delighted with their purchase.

I have no experience with the "fake" watches, so can't comment, but the Turkish Delight is delightful.

You will enjoy this port for the history of the nearby area and also the shopping.

This is a case where you do not need to make an advance decision on lunch. Since the bazaar and many other restaurants are all within a short walking distance to the port you can decide, on the spot, if you want to buy lunch or simply walk back to your ship.

Hank

Hank....the proximity of the ship to the town is one of the details I find important to know. That's why I post these questions here. As you point out, it allows the option of making last minute decisions.

Cruise brochures, websites, and even the most detailed guidebooks don't give this information.

When times in port are relatively short, I like to use the time allowed to the best advantage.

Thanks again.

Archived