From Aboard QM2 - 3/9/05

cruiserking

The Queen Mary 2 is absolutely a stunning ship. Regardless of how many hundreds of pictures you've seen online or in books or even whether you have travelled aboard her. Nothing prepares you for that incredible sight of this leviathan vessel as you approach QM2 along the westside highway in New York.

For those leery of the criticisms you can rest assured you will have a stupendous voyage aboard QM2. Each of her elegant public rooms sparkles, the service throughout the ship is wonderful. The food in Britannia has been terrifc through the first three days.

Embarkation in New York was rough. The major problem besides a computer glitch that stalled boarding for several hours, was the lack of a Cunard Representative who could tell you what was going on. Once we got past the main security area it was a breeze, we waited in a small line, received our identification passes and were aboard moments later.

The ship however, is a marvel in every respect. Each of her lounges rings with a distinct flavor and ambience all of its own. From the brassy jazz tones that permeate the Golden Lion Pub, to the sing-a-long melodies of Barty Brown in the elegant Chart Room this wonderful ship welcomes you and soothes you.

The overall service in Britannia has vastly improved since last July. The first night was a tad hairy as most everyone in the early seating descended on the dining room at once. However, each of the meals since has been a pleasure. The quality of the food and the variety is very good.

We were fortunate to be aboard by 1:30 pm and soon after journeyed to the Todd English Restaurant and made a reservation for the later in the voyage.

As far as entertainment the production shows are same as last year although they are peppered with a variety of acts including a pair of comedians this evening. Film showings in Illuminations seem to be fairly recent releases some of which have included "National Treasure" and Lemony Snickets".

We are about an hour and a half away from St. Thomas. A warm balmy breeze is blowing under a black veil of shimmering stars. Captain Wright has promised good weather for the next two days. Now I'm off to watch sample some of that lovely raisin french toast in Britannia and then tender into the tropics.

Happy Sails,

Cruiserking

You are so lucky ! My cruise was 2 weeks ago room 12012. It was 4 rooms from the bridge, and one of the best views on the ship.

One of the things I enjoyed the most, is to skip a formal night after a long day at shore, eat at the food court, then go put on your swim suit, and soak in the hot tub, alone or with your special someone, and watch the moon follow the ship. Of course it was a full moon on my trip, it should be about half by now, but it is still a sheer delight.

Be carefull, by the third shore day, I came down with a bad case of sun poisoning.

If you can do it, please send me a name, address & phone of a purfume shop in St Thomas that sells channel #5 the europeon version.

BethH2002@msn.com

Thank you, enjoy your cruise.

Cruiseking,

Very important to us us if you can provide the information. we want to reserve Todd English on evenings that the menu isn't duplicated at the main restaurants. In other words, we don't want to reserve Todd Engish on a night that the Britannia serves Beef Fillet to order the same in Todd Engish. Could you attempt to provide the main entree's served at Britannia so that we could plan our Todd English dining? A tall order I know, but greatly appreciated. BTW, we're not seafood eaters.

Thanks,

Chuck & Phyllis

If you drop by the Brittannia after 2:00 pm, the dinner menu will be posted in the main hall by the door of the resturant.

Todd English menu will be on the ships programme left at your door the previous evening.

If you drop by the pursers office the first day, they will be happy to provide you with all the menus for the week.

Beth

cruise date02/19/2005 7 loved every minute of it.

The weather the first two days out of New York was cloudy. Thursday was overcast and quite cold. The wee hours of Friday morning began with a stupendous sunrise with golden wands of sunlight bursting through the clouds. The sun peeked in and out through the morning and shortly thereafter was lost in a haze of clouds.

Sea days are the best days, despite the lack of sun, it was a wonderful time to spend time in the opulent Queens Room for a bout of bingo or a saunter through the other lounges. We held a successful Cruise Critic get together in the Commodore Club on Thursday at 2 pm. About 15 or 20 people showed up, we later retired to the Chart Room as the Commodore does not serve beverages until 4 pm.

That night time hot tub idea sounds very appealing.

Cruiserking.

Cruiserking, having someone post while actually on the ship is just the BEST! Thanks so much for taking time from your cruise to let us hear from you. We, too, thought things were improved on our second cruise on the QM2, even though we had no complaints on the first cruise. So glad you are having a great time.

Cruiserking I am envious your on the ship and our wonderful trip was over last week. I too am an early riser and I would have my coffee on the balcony by 5:30 am. The peace I feel while at sea is unmatched by any on land. One morning we were sailing into Curacao and I saw a group of dolphin swimming not far off the ship.

Keep posting so I can keep dreaming!

JPEvans--Happy Birthday--I've been thinking of you today and wondering how you made out getting to Grand Central with the parade.

Cruiserking- Thanks again for your posts from aboard. It was exciting to hear from you. Our 3/25 group has arranged to meet at the Commodore club, Sat (first full sea day) at 2 PM and I see they were not serving drinks until 4PM-are they even open? Please confirm so we can make other arrangements if need be.

Travelgals,

Just returned today. Plan on booking another QM2 voyage immediately, it is one blissful journey from beginning to end. Review to follow in next few days.

As far as the Commodore Club for a Cruise Critics Gathering, they do not start serving beverages until 4 pm. According to one of the Commodore Club bartenders, the popularity of this lounge, at least during daytime hours, fluctuates from cruise to cruise. It is apparently a very hopping afternoon spot during transatlantic trips.

I would reccomend holding your Cruise Critic gathering at the Chart Room Lounge on Deck 3. We successfully moved our meeting to this lounge after initially convening at the Commodore. There is plenty of space in the Chart Room, it is a lovely, bright, art-deco style room and you will easily be able to spot one another.

While on the subject of lounges and bars I must say that in our experience, my girlfriend and I found the best drinks were concocted at the Golden Lion Pub on deck 2. Early into our voyage we discovered a delectable drink called a BBC. Norm, the bartender at the Golden Lion consistently served up our BBC's with great aplomb. These banana milkshake-like beverages are made with bananas, baileys, banana liqueur and colada mix. You must try one they are quite wonderful.

It was my pleasure to report from QM2, it was a real snap logging onto the computers in the library. Quite a marvel of technology to be sailing along the high seas and be connected to Cruise Critic in moments flat.

As far as this supposed decrease in the popularity of the QM2, it simply isn't true. Our March 9 cruise was represented by as many as 40 different nationalities from around the world, many of whom flew to New York specially for this voyage. Also, each day the new supplies of 2006 trip brochures for QM2 and QE2 were ravaged from their shelves as if by a horde of cruiser like locusts.

It is a great priviledge to travel aboard QM2, she embraces you with elegance and warmth and we in turn embrace her. Each new voyage aboard this mamoth and magnificent liner is like going home again. There's no place like QM2... -I might click my QM2 slippers three times tonight, it coulnd't hurt.

Happy Sails

Cruiserking

JPEvans--Happy Birthday--I've been thinking of you today and wondering how you made out getting to Grand Central with the parade.

Well!!

This is how my disembarkation went. I signed up for the "self help" disembarkation. Just as I was about to leave the ship. My name gets announced over the PA system. "Mr. Evans of cabin 8025 contact the Purser's office urgently" I called them from a house phone and they told me that the customs officers wanted to speak with me. I get down to the lobby and they ask for my passport and my social security # and where I was born and when. They then tell me that my name matches a person on the "most wanted list". But since I wasen't a black male, they let me go. After I left the ship I walked all the way to Grand Central from the ship. It was kinda long. But the line to get cabs at the pier was even longer and no cabs were pulling up. So I figured I would start walking. I guess you would say I made it before the parade started.

JPEvans,

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it--just kidding. Sorry you had to walk after being catered to so beautifully for a week. I guess the good news is you didn't get arrested. What a way to end a glorious week. I would think you could get a cab a block or so away, but maybe after all the confusion you needed to just walk and chill. Sounds like it didn't ruin the trip. Thanks, Carol

Hey Travelgals -- No, I DON'T think anyone can be more excited than the two of us! It's certainly difficult to concentrate on work, or anything else for that matter.

JPEvans- A question about the 'self help' disembarkation. I assume that means you carry your own luggage off the ship, right? About what time did they start allowing 'self help' people to disembark? We have a driver picking us up, so I'd like to give him a rough idea as far as the time to meet us. Thanks!

JPEvans- A question about the 'self help' disembarkation. I assume that means you carry your own luggage off the ship, right? About what time did they start allowing 'self help' people to disembark? We have a driver picking us up, so I'd like to give him a rough idea as far as the time to meet us. Thanks!

You have to sign up at the tour desk the last day of the cruise and they give you a card. They said that you will meet in the Queens Room at 7:45 am they didn't make the announcement till after 8 am. Alot of people took advantage of this. You will not just walk off the ship, there will be a line. I would say a good time would be 9 am to have your ride be there. It will give you time to gather everything and get to the street.

Just want to thank Cruiser King for getting us all together. We never made it to the horse race and wondered how you made out.

There are not enough superlatives to describe the cruise. We would go again tomorrow if we could. The ship and the people were just fabulous

Susietb, Stratton, Nkpeeps, Ctazcat, Lynne6771,

It's was great to meet all of you at the Commodore Club last week. We especially enjoyed bumping in to each of you throughout our fabulous cruise aboard QM2.

Now the reality of the cruise ending begins to set in as I peer out the window and see cars rolling by instead of waves. Best cure for the post cruise blues is to plan another!

Our lucky horse #6 won the owner's race at the Queens Room we're still quivering with glee over it.

By the way, Eric thanks for taking an awesome picture of us at the winner's circle. It was one of the best shots of the trip.

Hope you all got home safe and look forward to cruising the high seas with you sometime in the near future.

Jonathan

a.k.a - Cruiserking

Archived