Lunch in Athens

thetone

My wife and I will be visiting the Acropolis and surrounding area in May. Anyone have a recommendation for lunch in the area before we head back to the cruise ship? Looking for something authentic.

Thanks.

My wife and I will be visiting the Acropolis and surrounding area in May. Anyone have a recommendation for lunch in the area before we head back to the cruise ship? Looking for something authentic.

Thanks.

Bascially any of the restos in the Plaka would be good to eat luncheon. I have eaten at several and enjoyed them all. You can check out the menus before you sit if you want to ...they hawk the restos so if you do not want to eat at one just say no thank you.I am sure you will enjoy.

We have a definite favorite place in Athens and, in fact, are so excited to be going to Athens in 2 weeks so we can go here again.It is in the Plaka.I will get the exact location tomorrow and send it..it is a window in a wall..it is around the corner from a restaurant and you get your Gyro and then take it to an outside table and eat it..choice of beef or pork or lamb..lamb and beef are best..this is a typical Greek place and you will not see tourists standing in the line!!!! FABULOUS and REASONABLE!! til tomorrow..

Sherry

OK..the "window" is on Mitropoleos St. near Monastraki Metro. There is a restaurant on a corner that faces an area to eat outside and this window is to the right side if you face that restaurant. It is directly around the corner..I have gone to Trip Advsior to see if anyone has better info..I know we can find it but I'd like you to find it too!! Sherry

OK..the "window" is on Mitropoleos St. near Monastraki Metro. There is a restaurant on a corner that faces an area to eat outside and this window is to the right side if you face that restaurant. It is directly around the corner..I have gone to Trip Advsior to see if anyone has better info..I know we can find it but I'd like you to find it too!! Sherry

You must mean Bairaktaris restaurant.. normally both corners are the same restaurant.. chip, good food but some times very crowded.. choose a table away from the pedestrian..

Agree, lots of great places in the Plaka. See two of my pictures below. Apply the eyeball test! If it looks too touristy and/or the people sitting there (or the staff) are bored and uninterested, then that place probably should be avoided. If it looks like there are some locals there and/or the customers are enjoying it, then it will probably be very good. Or maybe even better! Love the Plaka and a cold beer there.

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,200 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Outdoor dining in the Plaka in the heart of Athen’s historic area. Lots of music and fun, shopping, music, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

Mythos is the beer to enjoy while dining outdoors in Plaka:

MythosBeer.jpg

I've been told by a frequent traveller to Athens that "believe it or not the restaurant in the new acropolis museum is quite superb". I looked around online and found that it has been highlighted in a number of publications (Time, NYT, Travel & Leisure). Since you're probably going to be there anyway... Here's a link to the Time article. The dining patio looks amazing!

There are many good restaurants (taverna's) in Plaka my favourite is GOYBETSAKIA very traditional founded in the 1950's. On Easter Sunday they had SOUVLA roast lamb on the spit - excellent & reasonably priced.

Located on the corner of 144 ANDRIANOU and THESPIDOS - Tel: 210-3227033

plaka-athens.jpg

I've been told by a frequent traveller to Athens that "believe it or not the restaurant in the new acropolis museum is quite superb". I looked around online and found that it has been highlighted in a number of publications (Time, NYT, Travel & Leisure). Since you're probably going to be there anyway... Here's a link to the Time article. The dining patio looks amazing!

I wouldn't say it was superb, but it was very good when I ate there last October. The view from the patio is great, but be aware that it (the patio) is a smoking area as well.

Crusiemom42,

I have a question about the New Acropolis Museum. I had read your review from last fall, but can not find it now. We will be there in June. If I am with a group tour and have to choose between this museum or the National one, which would you recommend. I am not sure the group will want to do both, so need to know which one to push for.

Jo-Anna

Archived