Obsessed? I prefer "extremely interested"

tee_wrecks

How does one know where interest ends and obsession begins? Perhaps it was when this thread was bookmarked on the computer at work and all 3 computers at home. Maybe it was when the clerks at Barnes & Noble offered to get me my own coffee cup and leave it in the travel section. It might have been the excessive late fee I had to pay for the 2 Alaska videos I returned waaaaayyyy late to the library. I suppose it was a good thing I was follicaly challenged when this started so I don't have to worry about hair falling out. I got my first clue when I was on the phone with a tour operator in Anchorage and he said "wow, you know as much about this stuff as I do...Want a job?" Anyway, despite my wife growing up in Anchorage, this will be my first trip to Alaska which, considering I used to claim to be a photographer and took people's money claiming the same, seems almost criminal.

Good news...this board has been a tremendous resource and I've learned a lot from the posters here.

Bad news....this board has been a tremendous resource and I've learned a lot from the posters here...and I get twitchy when I'm away from a computer for long periods of time.

Worse news...It's still 3 months until we get on the boat in Vancouver..(3 months 1 day..but who's counting?)

Dawn Princess from Vancouver to Whittier departing June 13. Anyone else on the boat shoot me an e-mail. Fair skies and flat seas....

bill@wcbeanphoto.com

Maybe for someone who has never been to Alaska you might appear to be obsessed. However, I've been there once and am heading back. I can't imagine anyone going to Alaska not being changed for life. Call it an obsession if you like but if it is, it is a GOOD obsession.

BTW, we are also addicted to CC. I even subscribe to threads so that I get an email when there is a new posting. I go into withdrawal if I don't get an email every hour or so. :)

You are gonna' LOVE Alaska!

I know how you feel...my hubbie actually had to take me away from the computer the other day when I wasn't able to sign on to CC the boards. :eek: I watch my countdown clock like a hawk...DH even has put one on my desktop so that he can take a peek every once in a while! I CAN'T WAIT! Glad to see that there are others out there like me!;) Hi my name is Nancy...and I am an ADDICT! Please cont to send more info to fill my brain with!

I,m Judy North's DH and I,m just as addicted to Alaska and CC as she is. Here in the tidewater of Virginia where history began, we like out traditions, and our friends have accused us of starting one. This will be our second May in Alaska. If this becomes tradition so be it. At least this obsession is legal and good for the soul.:) :D

There might be a tip or some new advice that I would miss if I stay away too long from this board. My thoughts--I just got to get to Alaska, how long is it before I get to Alaska, is something going to happen that I don't get to Alaska, and on and on...

Thanks for letting me say this on the keyboard:D

Just do a search under countdown clocks...someone has a really easy program and some simple instructions that even I could figure out:D and whoopee you will have a clock too! I warn you though...you will want to get up in the middle of the night just to see if it changed! Good luck...Nancy

I'm in total agreement with Time2sail and have a case in point. Our friend who is booked to go with us in May on the Coral found out he has three blocked arteries and needs by-pass surgery. His surgeon is going on vacation and cannot do the surgery until the end of May. If everything goes perfectly, there is time to recover before the cruise, if not... We have war gamed the scenarios have plans B, C & D blocked out.

As for being extremely interested instead of obsessed posting notes at 6:58AM gives me a clue:) :D Methinks someone protests too much. Welcome to the support group.:cool:

I am obssesed and my husband is laid back. So all the details are up to me. AND we are doing a 7 day land tour and we are going with another couple. So I am in charge of the arrangements.

We rented the RV, that is it! NO tours booked yet, we are literally meeting today at 3pm to discuss. Someone said to me that I should plan what I want to do and then they can come along or do something else. But that doesnt work on the land portion. The other couple comes in on 5-24, so hubby and I have a chance to do the things we want for a couple days.

We are then going on a cruise for a week, that is booked!

We leave May 21st....so almost 2 months!!!

Yesterday my sister, she doesnt drive as she has a seizure diorder, asked me to go witrh her and her children to the Smokey Mountains in July or August, by the way, can I drive them all! I told her fine, BUT she plans the trip!!

COuntdown clock is separate from this board?

Thanks

If you go to the top of the page and open the search window (the one for all the forums, not this thread) and search countdown clock, it takes you to a post where there is a link and directions on how to make it work. Pretty simple once you find the stuff. :D

My wife and I have got it far worse than you, tee. ;) We're over a year out and we're definitely excited..... This is the one cruise we've been wanting to do for well over 5 years. Now that it's booked and we realize it's finally happening, we now have to "suffer" for a year.

Great thread, thanks! I'm too in the club!

However I've found a way to make my obsession of cruising turn into profit. I was a recruiter for a Fortune 100 international company. They divested our division and who goes first...HR. The General Mgr felt terrible about it and I told him my challenge was to keep a good attitiude and with doing that, I just knew the next door to open for me would be a great one! He leaned back in his chair and was amazed at my attitude. It ended up being harder than that, and I did go thru the process like so many others when downsized, but I came out of it on the other end and left on great terms.! I now sell cruises to them! Yes, I turned my obsession into my profession, and now work for an Internet based company selling cruises! I love what I do and work for a great company! When I began all my obsession paid off because thanks to CruiseCritic I knew far more than a beginning agent!

Now we're preparing for our first Alaskan cruise and I'm addicted to these boards even more than when I'm going on other cruises! There's so much to learn and the way I feel; the more preperation, the better the cruise will be! I have to admit, planning a cruise is one of my favorite parts of the cruise! That's what's great about cruising though. For those of us who like to plan, we can combine the cruise and independent tours. For those who like to just get on the ship and have all the planning done for them, they can do that as well.

Actually I have to say that what I said is half true. This time we are going to do a CruiseTour. My husband wanted it that way and afterall, it's good for me to sample my product. But next time to Alaska, I've already convinced him that we will do the interior on our own! That way I'll be able to share the pro's and con's of each to my clients! The way I look at it though, is that I have the best of both worlds. I do the basics thru the Cruise Line and then book independent tours as well!

OK, so I'm an official member of this addicted to the boards thread. Actually I guess I can say I'm professionally addicted!

Have a great Sunday!

Sharon

Maybe for someone who has never been to Alaska you might appear to be obsessed. However, I've been there once and am heading back. I can't imagine anyone going to Alaska not being changed for life.

You are gonna' LOVE Alaska!

Sounds like we are in the same boat or ship;-). On the plane on the way home from our first Alaska cruise we were already discussing doing it again. We are in count-down mode waiting for our third trip in May/2005. Addicted for sure!

Used to to to Alaska every other year.. now it's been three and this will never happen again!!! It does change you... and I'm not obsessive about planning everything although with a group had to do more than I would have.. We went once with 4 couples and literally every minute in port was planned.. it was our third cruise there and all of them were on their first but it was way, way too "busy"... needed more time to stop and gaze :)

Nah, you sound pretty normal to me. On another thread some time ago, someone else wrote wondering about the same thing. When I mentioned some of the things I have done, no one feels toobad!

Like when we went on a 16 day trans-atlantic trip on the Norway. I xeroxed the deck plans, reduced them and made them into flash cards so I would remember how to get places. With the newer ships, it is not as necessary because the Norway had some really screwy decks. Beautiful ship. Too bad. We were actually on her Sept. 11, 2001.

Last August, I spoke to HAL and got them to send me a plan of the dining room so I could pick out the table I wanted. They did, I did, and they gave me my second choice!

Now, I think we have those same videos from the library. But I haven't got the B & N manager mad at me yet.

Feel better?

I thought we were on the same trip but we are on Coral June 11.

I think sometimes it is almost as much planning than doing. Once you do it, it is over.

I became a TA because I loved to plan trips for my husband and I , the kids, my parents, you name it! I caught the travel bug early from my parents who took us 5 kids all over the U.S. Now my kids, DS 23 and married and DD 21 and still at home, are old enough to leave. Well, they have been for awhile! But son is almost out of grad school and daughter has a great boyfriend so makes us leaving them so much easiser! ANyways I digress. I belong to this group as a cruise and travel addict. I have only done 1 other cruise on HAL, the old Westerdam and fell in love with everything about cruising. Even sailing out into a tropical depression and being chased home by Hurricane Michelle. All our good memories! Sept 10 we go to Alaska on NCL Spirit for our 15th wedding anniversary. DH first cruise and he lets me plan it. My parents and brother are going too, got a great deal! I love CC and love to read all the info. THe more the merrier both info and cruises!

Kristie

I knew it wasn't an obsession...merely an overwhelming desire to be prepared. My family well knows I'm a research junkie and when there's a trip to a new location in the making, I'm spending a lot of time at the computer so leave me the heck alone!!! I'm the guy you see stopping at every "Historical Marker" on the highway to read what's gone on there before me. (Drives my wife nuts) The family even now rarely volunteers to accompany me on photo trips because I get "in the zone" and begin to display a total disregard for their entertainment and well being. I guess you could say sometimes I'm a bit obsessive. Oh well....

Seriously, I'm having a terrific time planning this trip. For a wildlife and landscape photographer (me) Alaska is North America's version of Mecca. The 30th anniversary part of the trip is kind of a double bonus for me. Great excuse to head north.:) The closest I've been to a cruise so far is a 4 day houseboat vacation on Lake Powell which people tell me isn't quite the same. Those are some of the reasons I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve.

Well, thanks for all the great replies, gotta blaze outta here. I'm off to some online used book stores to try and find a copy of Michener's "Alaska." What a great book to read on the cruise.

Fair skies (except when I'm shooting photos) and calm seas.

I visit the boards everyday. The other night my DW said, "What! You don't have anything about Alaska to tell me?" I'm driving her crazy with all the info. I like to be prepared.

Tee Wrecks et al,

Be sure and catch up on the "Books on Alaska" thread. Plenty of good suggestions there. Visit your local Friends of the Library book sales. No place cheaper for good books. Come see us in Newport News, VA. There are even some Alaska books I did buy for myself including Michner's Alaska in hard back and paper back. 40,000 books from which to choose.

Archived