Help with train to Barcelona from Langudoc region of France

Pearl64

We are trying to figure where to fly to for our week or so in southern France. If we fly to Paris and take the train say to Avignon, pick up the car there, and drive around, return the car there, how do we get to Barcelona by train? Or is there someplace before we cross into Spain that we could return the car? We are trying to find a rental condo for a week in the Montpelier-Nimes or north towards Avignon. Any help here? I finally got a map so that should help with that part. We then want to spend about three or four days in the Carcassonne area before heading to Barcelona. We need to know where the best place to catch the train to Barcelona and then which station? We will probably be staying near the Ramblas area. Or would it just be easier to fly into Barcelona and rent the car there? But, are we permitted to take the car into France? I am just trying to figure out all logistics before I make the flight arrangements. The reason for considering the Paris connection is there is a direct flight from PIT to CDG. Then it would be the fast train to Avignon. Suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Pearl

You could return the car in Perpignan a lovely Catalan city on the right side of the border. Catch the train there and you are in Barcleona in no time. + it is easy to get to from Carcassone.

We just booked train tickets from Barcelona to Avignon for June. It took a long time to finally get through on the renfe site (Spain) and sncf-voyages (France). I got the tickets from Barcelona Sants to Figueres Vilafant on the renfe site. I tried four computers with different operating systems and different credit cards before getting Vista Home Premium with Internet Explorer with a Visa debt card to work on refe and the cost was $27 for two. I used the same computer with American Express on sncf-voyages to get the two legs from Figueres-Vilafant to Nimes and Nimes to Avignon Centre and this was $112 for two with 1st class on the TGV leg to Nimes.

We looked into renting a car in Barcelona and dropping it off in France and there was an $800 drop off fee so we stuck with the train.

You have to be persistent since it took me a month to get these tickets with trying several times a day. But it can be done. Good luck!

We love these kind of questions since this is our kind of travel. And we do understand that renting a car in France and dropping in Barcelona can be really expensive. However, we suggest you check with Autoeurope and Kemwel (sister companies that are rental car consolidators) to see if they can get you a decent rental car price with a fair drop charge. If that does not work you might want to consider dropping the car at Perpignon and taking the train. Montpellier also works as a drop site or you could simply drop the car at Avignon (but you would have to change trains). Avignon is a really interesting city, but our favorite place for rentals (usually at least a week) is in St Remy de Provence. We just like being in a smaller village that is has a convenient location for day trips.

Hank

We just booked train tickets from Barcelona to Avignon for June. It took a long time to finally get through on the renfe site (Spain) and sncf-voyages (France). I got the tickets from Barcelona Sants to Figueres Vilafant on the renfe site. I tried four computers with different operating systems and different credit cards before getting Vista Home Premium with Internet Explorer with a Visa debt card to work on refe and the cost was $27 for two. I used the same computer with American Express on sncf-voyages to get the two legs from Figueres-Vilafant to Nimes and Nimes to Avignon Centre and this was $112 for two with 1st class on the TGV leg to Nimes.

If you take the train the other way round (from France to Barcelona), you can buy the full ticket on the French website, so it should be easier.

As suggested, Montpellier or Perpignan are good places to take the train to Barcelona. From both stations you have many direct trains, or other that require changing trains in Figueres. Maybe you could pick up your car in Montpellier instead of Avignon and return it there (it can be quite expensive to take your car in one spot and return it in another, but if you take the car in Avignon, it's quite a drive from Carcassone to return it at the same spot at the end of your stay).

Archived