What to expect on arrival in Vancouver -- Immigration, Customs, etc.

dan1618

This is the first time I will have been to Canada since 9-11 and since the new passport for entry. What should we expect on our flight arrival into Canada? Any special forms to fill out? Any information on the process is appreciated.

We flew into Vancouver last year, and I don't specifically remember any forms to fill out. We had to wait about 10 minutes in line for Immigration (keep your passport handy), and then went to baggage carousels to claim luggage (naturally ours was in the last batch to appear). Then after claim luggage, to Customs--they just waived us on through! Very friendly, and certainly nothing to become intimidated about!! All in all, we felt the whole process was a breeze. Guess Vancouver got very efficient about the process after they hosted the Winter Olympics!

There is a landing card/immigration form you'll need to complete before immigration. As for crowds, YVR arrivals can be easy or really rough, depending on how many international flights (especially from Asia - they tend to clump in the 12:00 - 3 PM range) are arriving at the same time. I've had to wait for over an hour in line at immigration; on other occasions I've waltzed through. Depends.

As for customs, just walk through the "nothing to declare" (green) line and you'll be on the street pronto.

This is the first time I will have been to Canada since 9-11 and since the new passport for entry. What should we expect on our flight arrival into Canada? Any special forms to fill out? Any information on the process is appreciated.

First, I'd like to correct your statement "new passport for entry".

Canada requires, and has always required;

• Proof of Citizenship (such as a birth cert)
  • Government Issued photo ID (such as a driver's license)
  • Correct documentation to return home

As the United States require a US Citizen to hold a passport to fulfil #3 above, Canada now require you to hold a passport to enter Canada so you can return. Note that in situations where a citizen does not need a passport to return to the USA (closed loop cruise for example), Canada does not need a passport to enter.

Now that I've got that off my chest, arriving at YVR is pretty easy.

On board the plane you'll get a customs declaration card (purchases etc) to fill out, one card per family, stuff like Liquor/Cigarettes to declare. You get off the plane (D or E gates) and follow a long up and over walk (D gates - this is really pretty actually) or long old tunnel (E) to the Customs area where there will be a lot of lineups for booths. They go pretty quickly so don't dismay and you'll present yourself your passport and your customs card to an immigration officer, who clears you into Canada. Just after that are the luggage carousels for international flights, you grab your luggage, and then when exiting the luggage area you hand the card to a customs officer, who 95% of the time will just waive you through.

Not "smuggle booze?" I thought that I read online that you could bring up to 1500 ml of wine into the country duty free?

That's not "smuggling booze" that's staying within the allowed limits.

As for what you can or can't bring, it's different for residents and visitors. When we travel to the US (we're Canadian) we have to fill out different lines on the declaration card than residents of the US do. Same thing on the Canadian declaration. You have to declare goods / alcohol etc that will remain in Canada.

I think duties only apply on goods you bring into your OWN country. When you cross back into the USA after your cruise you'd have to declare things - you are bringing back then.

Archived