International Driver's License

DanaJW

Hello, The rental car company we plan to use in Santorini does not require an International Driver's License (IDL). They allow us to use our driver's license from our own country. Is there any advantage to getting an IDL? Thanks so much.

Is there any advantage to getting an IDL?

An International Driving Permit (it's not actually a license, since you must also have a valid US license to use it) functions as an official translation of a U.S. driver's license into 10 foreign languages. Very handy if you're stopped by police who don't speak or read English. There are also some countries (Greece is not one of them, so don't worry) that do not recognize US licenses as a vaild document for driving unless you also have an IDP. You can get one from AAA for $15.

This topic comes up every few weeks somewhere on the CC boards. We have rented cars all over Europe and have never, ever, needed this document. Sometimes we had one and sometimes we did not,,,but nobody has ever asked to see it. That being said, it is actually required in Italy (although nobody ever asks to see it) and it would be nice to have if you get stopped by the police. But otherwise, if you like spending about $20 you can go to any AAA office, pay for your photo, pay for the document (I think it might be up to $15) and then you can feel better about yourself.

Hank

An International Driving Permit (it's not actually a license, since you must also have a valid US license to use it) functions as an official translation of a U.S. driver's license into 10 foreign languages. Very handy if you're stopped by police who don't speak or read English. There are also some countries (Greece is not one of them, so don't worry) that do not recognize US licenses as a vaild document for driving unless you also have an IDP. You can get one from AAA for $15.

Absolutely incorrect.

The US drivers licence is not valid in Greece under any circumstances.

If you are stopped by police or have an accident having a US drivers license alone would be the equivalent of driving with out one.

The only way your license will be recognized in Greece by local authorities is if it is presented along with your IDP(L) and vise versa.

The rental agencies are not obligated or care about this,so they will rent you a car.

Do not get caught with out it.

Very handy if you're stopped by police who don't speak or read English.

We recently went to Costa Rica. Costa Rica doesn't require an IDL, so we didn't get one before we left. We were pulled over at a random checkpoint. My husband gave the police officer his US driver's license. It expires on August 2, 2011, written 8/2/2011. The officer, who claimed not to speak English, told us it was expired, because he read it as Feb. 8, 2011 - since in most countries outside the US write the date as day-month-year, not month-day-year. It took us a half hour and numerous phone calls to convince them that his license had not expired.

My guess is that IDL could have helped us to avoid the situation.

That being said, we gotten IDLs before, and never had to show them to anyone.

We have rented cars quite a few times in Greece (on the mainland and on a few islands) and have never been asked to produce our IDL. On some ocassions we had an IDL and other times we never had an IDL. These IDLs are almost a joke because they really do not do much other then cost money. There is very little in the IDL that translates the info from your drivers license (which can be read by nearly any cop). It does not take a college degree to read name, age, etc..all written in English (just like on your license). For those that want to worry about the issue just go to AAA, spend your $15 plus photo cost and walk out with the document. And the date written on our IDL is written with name of the month spelled out (in English). We are also thinking that in Costa Rica a small "offering" would have made the problem go away quickly :)

Hank

This topic comes up every few weeks somewhere on the CC boards. We have rented cars all over Europe and have never, ever, needed this document. Sometimes we had one and sometimes we did not,,,but nobody has ever asked to see it. That being said, it is actually required in Italy (although nobody ever asks to see it) and it would be nice to have if you get stopped by the police. But otherwise, if you like spending about $20 you can go to any AAA office, pay for your photo, pay for the document (I think it might be up to $15) and then you can feel better about yourself.

Hank

We will be renting a car and driving in Italy for the first time. We are venturing out and trying things that we never would have done just a year ago - thanks in large part to the valuable suggestions I have read on these boards, such as the thread: "Don't be afraid to try things on your own!"

I don't think it will make me feel better about myself, I just believe that if Italian law requires an IDP, then I am going to respect their laws and get one.

Why would anyone want to risk getting into trouble in a foreign country?

If the rental agency or anyone else never asks to see my IDP, okay by me.

I am a law abiding citizen in the USA, it just makes sense that when I am visiting another country that I would conduct myself in the same manner.

I will be spending thousands of dollars for my vacation. What is another $20 to get an International Driver Permit? A drop in the bucket.

Enjoy your travels!

I don't think it will make me feel better about myself, I just believe that if Italian law requires an IDP, then I am going to respect their laws and get one.

FWIW... I used to live in Italy. I was in an accident (not my fault!). My IDL was in my purse. I called for a cop, who came and used my American drivers license. He didn't ask for the IDL; I forgot I had it. BTW, calling a cop for an accident isn't the norm there.

On a return trip, I was in another fender bender (I hope you aren't driving in Naples :D). Other guy kept driving. Accident wasn't my fault; I got the license plate number. When I returned the rental car, they charged me an extra $500 for the damage. They don't even try to get it from the other guy. I could've submitted it on my car insurance at home, but have a $500 deductible...

Oh, the accident when I lived there? Other side dragged their feet until the 2 year statute-of-limitations ran out. Since I hadn't wanted to claim the $2k or so against my insurance since I wasn't at fault, I ended up being out the $ :(

We will be renting a car and driving in Italy for the first time. We are venturing out and trying things that we never would have done just a year ago - thanks in large part to the valuable suggestions I have read on these boards, such as the thread: "Don't be afraid to try things on your own!"

Why would anyone want to risk getting into trouble in a foreign country?

If the rental agency or anyone else never asks to see my IDP, okay by me.

I am a law abiding citizen in the USA, it just makes sense that when I am visiting another country that I would conduct myself in the same manner.

I will be spending thousands of dollars for my vacation. What is another $20 to get an International Driver Permit? A drop in the bucket.

Enjoy your travels!

I totally agree with you even though we have driven for many years in Europe where we often had not botherd to get an IDL. But the problem was solved the last time we did go to AAA to get an IDL (they are only good for 1 year). The AAA clerk got distracted (it was no accident) and forget to put the date on the IDL cover (this is the only way you know the effective date) which is normally written in ink. So now, I have an undated IDL which we take on all of our trips. We also make sure we have a pen so if we ever need that document an appropriate date will quickly appear on the IDL :)

Hank

Not sure when Italy started requiring IDL, but we rented our car in Frankfurt Germany (as Italy required you to buy insurance when you rented a car there) in 1998. We drove for 4 weeks in Italy, Germany, Austria, Switzerland with no problem.

My TA told us we didn't need to bother with an IDL, everywhere would honor your home DL. But guess things do constantly change. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

When we in Chios last year, we were the only ones who could rent a motorscooter, because we have an EU-driving license. All the Americans could not rent. The rental agent was handed Puerto Rican and Californian driving licenses and with looking up asked "Where is your International Driving License?" The guy even said that he was not willing to get into any trouble with the authorities at any time. Some Canadians were able to rent a car at another place with a Canadian driving license, but again, here the Americans were out of luck.

Just spend the $20. It is not worth getting into trouble for. We as Europeans cannot technically rent a car in the States without an International Driving License either.

Archived