HI Rocky Point Question?

ciship

How far is the Holiday Inn Rocky Point from the Marriott Waterside hotel? I am dropping off a rental car at the Marriott, but staying at the Holiday Inn.

The Mariott Waterside is 2 blocks from the port in the downtown area and the HI Rocky Pt. is on the other side of the airport. It is several miles in distance and probably close to a $25 taxi ride. Can you drop it off at Tampa airport? TIA is only 5 minutes away and the HI has a free airport shuttle.

Does that mean that you can actually walk from the Marriott Waterside to port on the morning of your cruise? Does anyone do that?

I have not stayed here but was given the distance to the port from the hotel by Hertz car rental. We are renting a car at TIA the day prior to our cruise and was advised it would be easier to return it here as it is only 2 blocks away. I assume that meant we could walk. ??? I'm not quite sure either. Here is the Hertz contact info at the Marriott Waterside if you want to inquire. http://local.yahoo.com/info-14434342-hertz-rent-a-car-tampa

I have not stayed here but was given the distance to the port from the hotel by Hertz car rental. We are renting a car at TIA the day prior to our cruise and was advised it would be easier to return it here as it is only 2 blocks away. I assume that meant we could walk. ??? I'm not quite sure either. Here is the Hertz contact info at the Marriott Waterside if you want to inquire. http://local.yahoo.com/info-14434342-hertz-rent-a-car-tampa

It's roughly 10 miles from the Rocky Point area to the cruise terminal area; as mentioned, Marriott Waterside is a few blocks from the cruise terminal.

Sounds like your plan is to drop the car off there on sailaway day. You can certainly walk it, but if you do so I would recommend you first go to the terminal & drop off all of you "checked" luggage with the porter. Then drive the car over to the Marriott, drop it off, and stroll back to the terminal. That way, you don't have to drag your luggage as you walk back (other than your carryon bags). If any of your passengers have mobility issues (or if they just don't want to make the walk - it will be hot if it's summertime), they could just get out when you're at the terminal & wait there for you to return.

For the walk back, I would suggest going along the "Riverwalk." It's a nice sidewalk that goes along the shoreline & is a much more scenic stroll than the sidewalk along Channelside Drive.

Thanks - not planning to rent a car - just interested in staying 'near' the ship and the option of shlepping my luggage a couple of blocks sounds intriguing!

It is approximately 1/2 mile from that hotel to the cruise terminal that Carnival uses; add 2/10 of a mile if you're sailing one of the other cruiselines (they use a different terminal building).

Certainly walkable if you don't travel too heavy, good sidewalks all the way whether you go along the street or along the riverwalk. Not much in the way of streets to cross & where there are you'll have stoplights to help you get across. One caveat - if it's summertime it will be hot & humid, and you might be a sweaty mess by the time you get there, especially if you're hauling a bunch of luggage.

Cab fare from the hotel would be only be a few bucks.

It's roughly 10 miles from the Rocky Point area to the cruise terminal area; as mentioned, Marriott Waterside is a few blocks from the cruise terminal.

Sounds like your plan is to drop the car off there on sailaway day. You can certainly walk it, but if you do so I would recommend you first go to the terminal & drop off all of you "checked" luggage with the porter. Then drive the car over to the Marriott, drop it off, and stroll back to the terminal. That way, you don't have to drag your luggage as you walk back (other than your carryon bags). If any of your passengers have mobility issues (or if they just don't want to make the walk - it will be hot if it's summertime), they could just get out when you're at the terminal & wait there for you to return.

For the walk back, I would suggest going along the "Riverwalk." It's a nice sidewalk that goes along the shoreline & is a much more scenic stroll than the sidewalk along Channelside Drive.

Thanks SeaPA1 :)

It is approximately 1/2 mile from that hotel to the cruise terminal that Carnival uses; add 2/10 of a mile if you're sailing one of the other cruiselines (they use a different terminal building).

Certainly walkable if you don't travel too heavy, good sidewalks all the way whether you go along the street or along the riverwalk. Not much in the way of streets to cross & where there are you'll have stoplights to help you get across. One caveat - if it's summertime it will be hot & humid, and you might be a sweaty mess by the time you get there, especially if you're hauling a bunch of luggage.

Cab fare from the hotel would be only be a few bucks.

Thanks for the detailed info - if staying at the Marriott then I will most likely grab a cab as I do tend to overpack! :D

Archived