What 1 unique item do you pack for you 're cruise ?

Ziggy7

Small watch bob on a caribeener clip - we keep it clipped to our backpack (usually on the inside). We don't wear watches on vacation (we do what we feel like, when we feel like it) but sometimes as you are galavanting around port, you really do need to know the time so you can make it back to the ship on time.

Unless you want to wait until the next time it swings by this way...:D

Tim,

What stero speakers are you talking about. I would love to take a few CDs if there is a stero in the SR.

Richard

Perhaps, they are only in S suites, but there is a small stereo with a built in DVD/CD player with speakers in the stateroom. I'm not certain if they are in all staterooms. It acually sounded quite good for such a compact unit.

Tim

Two lengths of speaker wire so we can move the stereo speakers out on to the verandah. We spend a LOT of time on out verandah and with the speakers inside, you have to turn the volume up way to loud to even hear it outside. We love to listen to music out on our verandah.

Tim

Do you think there might be a problem with your neighbors on their verandah not liking your music so close and open coming into their space? I know when we are out on our verandah you can hear every word being said on adjacent balconies even when they are talking very quietly.

I guess it would depend on what music you were playing and how loudly. What type do you play? ;)

We asked them first. They said, no problem. We played a great variety of music. We kept the volume quite low. And, being in an aft corner cabin, you really could not hear your neighbors over the sound of the wake at all. We got along very well with our neighbors. We hosted a couple sailaway parties on our verandah inviting everyone in adjacent cabins, even above and below. We had a great time.

A little friendliness and generosity goes a long, long way. :)

Tim

I make color copies of our passports and take them ashore and just use driver lic and seapass card for id, But if we got stranded in port at least customs would have the numbers to check on :)

• 2 weeks later...

We try to pack just enough clothes so that about half-way through the cruise, we use the laundry. To get to the laundry room and back to the state room, a good old fashioned plastic trash bag does the trick.

Also like to bring along a travel clock since there is none in the cabin.

We don't do this but, how come nobody has admitted to bringing a blender? :p

You all have some great ideas and advice. Whenever I travel anywhere, I always take:

Spare (prescription) eyeglasses (which is not unique, but practical)

saline nasal spray/saline eye drops

hand sanitizer and/or Lysol and/or disinfectant wipes - for the room; I'm not germ

phobic or anything, but I clean phones, toilets, door handles, etc. the 1st day.

A couple of travel-size OTC meds for common ailments, JUST IN CASE (Got stuck in Fiji with a lousy cold or flu. Only thing they had was Vap-O-Rub...)

I love that someone mentioned dryer sheets in their suitcases, shoes, etc. I thought I was the only one that did this! After reading this list, I'm also going to take a pack of those hanging car air fresheners to put in our room. I've used those in hotel rooms and they are nice and not overpowering in a larger area.

I'd love to hear more ideas!

Scrumpy

We always take two travel alarm clocks; one for the cabin and one for the bathroom.

We also take book matches to eleminate smells in the bathroom.

Also, since we both like lemonade, we carry Crystal Light and a container to mix it in. It is very convient as the Crystal Light takes up little room and we pack small items in the container while its in the suitcase.

And most important, don't forget to take an adequate supply of any medicines you might be need.

WE always take:

a bungee cord (for holding the balcony door open if the ac is not working, and this has happened to us)

2 empty water bottles

zip lock bags (for god knows what, ive used them to freeze wet washclothes to take on shore excursions)

a large trash bag (dirty clothes)

a power strip (good for charging cell phone and rechargable batteries)

Thanks for the hints posted here. Looks like we will be packing some other things as well. Loved the dryer sheet hint and will definately do that on this trip.

I forgot the only one I do that is probably unique. I like those breath freshening strips that come in the tiny container. "Listerine Pocketpaks Oral Care Strips". You can take a fresh pack and use it when it is empty.

The container is big enough to hold small jewelry items, including women's wedding ring, engagement or other ring over a carat, depending on the cut, necklaces with small pendants and earrings. Be careful; if you put something in it that is too big, it will pop apart.

I carry my jewelry in these when I take it off to go swimming. I have a diver's waterproof box that goes around my neck, so I can put it right in there, know everything is together and that it is safe with me. Or, if in public, you can put it in your pocket, fanny pack, backpack or purse.

Scrumpy

Some great ideas as I frantically try to prepare.

Scrumpy - I LOVE the empty pkt idea... I just lost a favorite necklace - very dainty - that was given to my by best friend because I had to remove it for a scan... and I put it where I thought it would be safe in my bag...and now cannot locate it. And to think I've always thrown those pkts away! I will never be without an empty one now. Thanks for a great - and timely for me anyway - tip! :)

You're welcome! I am so sorry that you lost your necklace! It is hard to lose the special gifts from people we love. I'm glad I shared this idea. I wasn't sure if I'd get laughed off the board, but it's one of those weird little things I discovered and thought I'd take a chance and share. Won't work for bigger jewelry, but I wear the same jewelry every day (why save the good stuff?) and everything will fit in two of the empty pkts except my watch. I put my necklace & wedding band in a separate one so it doesn't tangle with my other rings.

Scrumpy

Some great ideas as I frantically try to prepare.

Scrumpy - I LOVE the empty pkt idea... I just lost a favorite necklace - very dainty - that was given to my by best friend because I had to remove it for a scan... and I put it where I thought it would be safe in my bag...and now cannot locate it. And to think I've always thrown those pkts away! I will never be without an empty one now. Thanks for a great - and timely for me anyway - tip! :)

Shhhhhh! If he hears this, DH will bring a New Zealand flag...

Scrumpy

Probably something that no one else takes on HAL cruises...a Canadian flag on a stick that I can attach to my balcony with the handy roll of duct tape a crew member brings me. :D

Here's a couple (my dh thinks I'm over the top) I bring these little packs of Charmin toliet seat covers(8 to a pack) for going into ports. I take a pop up hamper for dirty clothes. It folds into an almost flat circle. I take travel mugs & go to the Neptune and fill them with wonderful cappucino. A soft sided, small cooler for taking bottled water & frozen wash cloths offshore.

I will definetly try the shoe holder thing for over the door. What a great idea.

Linda

Archived